PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 12-28-2016, 04:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Halinsky Sherman VC Firefly with photos

As there are some Halinsky armour builds here I thought I made well start posting mine as well but it will be slow.

As there are some Halinsky armour builds here I thought I made well start posting mine as well but it will be slow. I saw this model on their website and liked the look of it so I got it,photocopied page and had a trial build of the inside of the turret but found that the ribs that are cut from one mill card are very fragile and I wasn't getting them good enough to do the model justice. so I then got the laser cut parts unfortunately these don't include tracks!

As I live in Wiltshire I thought I would put my own markings on the tank for the Wiltshire Yeomanry who had Shermans first at Alamein and then regrouped in Syria before moving on to Italy.there is only one drawback in that the Wiltshire Yeomanry were withdrawn at about the same time as the firefly was brought into operation with regiments based in Italy, so I'm going to stretch the facts a bit.

I have the English instructions for the kit and they suggest starting with the turret. But I'm going to start with the tracks and hopefully the new kit enthusiasm will get me through cutting out all the bits.

I have made a slow start on this model doing odd bits here and there starting with some of the metal parts at work mainly those that needed fabricating.

there are a lot of track parts,there are 200 tracks and I am making some extra as added armour so I have cut 430 track pins.
the smallest bits are some 2 mill square blocks by mil thick I had to cut them into strips and then seal the sides with superglue before cutting into squares otherwise they were delaminating.

the above picture shows the thicker card parts. The killer is going to be cutting out all the holes.

Google Adsense
Old 12-28-2016, 05:10 PM

the instructions for the tracks,

there are 27 parts that make up a track link times 200 plus I'm doing an extra 14. I've booked the padded cell. I might add an extra part not sure if it's needed or not which will be a strip of card in between the two metal pins just gives more support to the central block the tracks, probably will be a case of belt and braces. But isn't much more work as the waste strip between the top and bottom parts from the inside of the central block or about the right height. Someone on a German Forum has done this as well as Jim Nunn over at paper models.

the rest of the track parts

made up a jig for the connecting bits parts 262 262a 262b so here it is, also in the picture is attract trade core parts 260 260a

well still cutting out track, but I did make up the tread and two connectors from some photocopies hence the washed out colours.

When together better than I thought especially the connectors.part 262c especially but curling each end and then glueing it on to part 262a whilst still in the jig and then pushing in part 262de straight after pulled in the curled ends of part262c.

do you think I should but a little hex nut head in the centre of part 262c where the printed circle is.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Wow, 200 links. I'm going nuts on doing the 66 links on the Stalinetz 65. And for the hex nut, you've done all the other go for it.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
Looking forward to see your build David!! I really want to build a sherman myselves..so maybe one day
Old 01-06-2017, 01:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 11.18 MB
Hello David,
I saw that you had problems with pictures in the other thread....Then I wait here the end of the work!!
Google Adsense
Old 01-07-2017, 04:53 PM

Not much to show progress wise except some pots getting fuller.

But I will have quite a lot of one mill rivets. From all the holes i have being cutting out. have used a Japanese book Punch to do the holes and I've made up a set of punches to go with it

on Saturday I went and looked through the Wiltshire Yeomanry archive looking at pictures from the Second World War to see what names they used on their tanks they were usually named after Wiltshire towns and pubs. There was not one named after my local town devizes but there was one named Moonrakers,named after some smugglers who fooled excise men by claiming that they were raking out a cheese from a local pond which was in fact the reflection of the full moon, the excise men went away believing in the legend that the locals were a bit dim. Once they were gone and the coast was clear they raked out the barrels of contraband from the pond. So this is what I will put on the side of my tank, the following pictures are of a standard 75 mil Sherman, from when the regiment was re-equipped after Alamein and they were posted to Syria and cleared the Vichy French out from Syria and Iran joining the Russians in Tehran. Before moving on to Italy before returning back to England understrength as half the regiment had served the four and half years.

Wiltshire Yeomanry first went out to North Africa as a fully mounted cavalry Regiment, they then got mechanised with lorries as Searchlight units before getting their tanks, they formed a principal role as past the ninth armoured Brigade in punching a hole through the German anti-tank lines and helping to hold off a German tank counter-attack, that then led to the German rout. The Wiltshire Yeomanry were left with four working tanks.here's another tank named after village near me.

I took a photo of these two pictures out of interest.

not sure what this second one is of some German tank destroyer.
here is a link to a Canadian site that shows markings for different tank units and periods
Untitled Document
this website shows the restoration of the non-firefly M4A4 Sherman taken off Salisbury plain training area just by me. To its original glory also shows the multi-bank engine which I think is an incredible piece of engineering in itself.
Restoration M4A4 restoration
the next link is to a website that shows all the Sherman types and differences between manufacturers
Sherman minutia homepage
there is another site but I can't find it on this computer that showed the unit markings so have to add it to another post.
I meant to post sooner I thought last weekend that I would finish cutting out the track parts

i finished cuting out the iner ends and and treads and just had 7 off the above strips of conetor parts to cut out and then the esey out treads covering. only cutting the curvy top on the conectors allmost finnshed me off my thum was to saw to hold the scalpel any more so stoped with thes two left and the tread covering to do to morrow. fond thow that i could still cut out some parts to laminat to thicker card and lable the laser cut parts juring the week.thort larst weekend that with my sew thum i would of had a burn out on the sherman but if any think sherman mojo has incresed. Go's back to bounceing a round the padded room. sorry for the speling brake down but the vois reconision porgram decided that it did not like this page any more.

During the week I cut out the parts that needed to the laminated to different thicknesses of card.

Well the Roman models tank factory track assembly line was officially opened by the one lone employee and track production started with the delivery of track parts.

The production started with making up the track treads as shown in the following pictures the first three show the making up of the inner tread I followed up on Jim Nunns idea and added an off cut down the centre of the tread.

I think as Helsinki designed it is okay, but as you see in the fourth picture where i placed an inertread over the strip that will become the road wheel it does sit over the centre of the tread and over time it might sag with the weight of the tank on it, so to be on the safe side over engineer.

After I'd glued up the inner tread in the jig as the mortise and tenants were tight I took the inner tread out and squeezed it together with my fingers to make sure it was all fitting together well.
As I was cutting out the outer skin of the treads I pre-folded scoreline s search just a matter of dry wrapping round in a tread and then applying the glue and sticking it on

I then trimmed the length if necessary and then inserted the track pins to locate the ends and trimmed if necessary and then applied the tread the only parts I didn't precut were the three rivets which are cut out the hole punch and apply, which will just leave the edges to be painted.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.53 MB
Links

OMG

Those links, how tedious my friend. You need a medal.

Regards
Tertius Primus Erit
Old 07-05-2018, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
English Version of Halinski Sherman Kit

I just joined up. Would you be able to send me a copy of the English version of the instructions pictured in the attached (mine are in Polish). Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Halinsky Sherman VC Firefly with photos-sherman-small2_zpsmshrzhgq.jpg  
Old 07-05-2018, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.28 MB
Hole punch

Were did you get the hole punch set from
Old 07-05-2018, 03:37 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Great work here and thanks for all the pictures and detailed explanations.

I have always wanted to do a tank but can't face the thought of all those links!