PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 11-17-2018, 04:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
I've settled down and taken several of your words of advice. Doug's (SCEtoAUX's) suggestion to make colored putty out of white glue and color shavings (in my case, from the Neocolor crayon) worked very well, and is shown on the picture with the spare road wheels (I turned them so the repair is shown). Covering the outer edge with a thin overwrap was another option, but one I chose not to pursue since the repair will be hidden by the track anyhow. After an evening of touchups and removing glue residue where I could, the wheels started looking better to me. I also took Kevin's advice; after fiddling with the wires for a while, it became obvious that they were totally impractical. I omitted the wires. I also discovered that I had glued two suspension spacers (part 13f) into the road wheels in place of the correct axles, so I printed new 13f's from a scan. Oops, but not a big deal. Somewhere along the way, I glued the volutes into position, and this afternoon I finished gluing the bogie - suspension - road wheel assemblies together. I think their sheer complexity helps hide the flaws in my workmanship a bit. At any rate, after these many months (I started them in May of 2017 -- I checked), they are DONE and I can move on to the sprockets! Which are also insanely complex, but at least there are only two of them.

Many thanks to everyone for both the practical advice and the words of comfort -- I needed it all. Fingers crossed that the sprockets go a little better.
Attached Thumbnails
Anne's M4A3 Sherman GPM-gedc1068.jpg   Anne's M4A3 Sherman GPM-gedc1069.jpg   Anne's M4A3 Sherman GPM-gedc1070.jpg  

Last edited by Amccombs3; 11-17-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:28 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
What a world of difference. They look excellent. Great save!
Old 11-18-2018, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
They look mighty fine, Anne!

Don
Old 11-18-2018, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Nice field repairs of the battle damage. Or maybe it is just the roads.
I have seen potholes that would swallow a tank.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Model building slowed down over the holiday season, but lucky me, I got furloughed in the federal government shutdown as of Jan. 3. So the good news is, I have lots of time to play with my tank, and have put that time to good use.

I'd been cutting out sprocket parts before the shutdown, at a leisurely pace. These are parts 16-16b (sprocket bosses) and 17-17k (the sprockets themselves). The teeth of the sprockets were a rather intricate shape, and most of them were laminated onto cardboard, so it was rather slow going. Worse, apparently these are fragile parts on real Sherman tanks, so there were even more of them for spares! But once they were cut out and edge colored, the assembly took only a morning.

The pictures tell the tale. The first picture shows all the parts, cut out and ready for edge coloring. Next, a close-up, showing the shape of the teeth. Then two pictures of the completed assemblies.

I will also mention that GPM, for reasons known only to themselves, provided a paper axle (17k) so that the sprockets would be able to turn. It would be impossible to install the axle, since it has to be inserted from inside the hull, in an area which is already glued closed. Also, no matter how tightly I wound it, the diameter was still quite a bit too large to fit the holes in the other parts. I cut off part of the axle so it could be wound tightly enough, and I might use a stub of it to assure that the sprockets are centered correctly on the bosses, but I'm still going to glue the sprockets onto the bosses and not worry about rotation. That will be in the future when I'm ready to assemble road wheels, sprockets, idler wheels, and tracks into one magnificent presentation.

Another warning, for anyone who builds this in the future, is regarding part 17. This is the outboard toothed part, and the kit provides 6 of them, all of which have an asterisk, so I dutifully laminated all of them to cardboard. It turns out two of the part 17's were for the sprockets on the suspension, and the other four were for the spares. I should have glued one to *each side* of the cardboard for the two spares, for when my brave little tankers break sprocket teeth and have to change them out (in the mud, in the rain, no doubt). Well, I'll just have to paint the back sides, since they ALL got their own cardboard, but at least we'll have plenty of spares.

So now the next project is idler wheels. I'm going to go find the parts next. Progress, slow but sure, is being made.
Attached Thumbnails
Anne's M4A3 Sherman GPM-gedc1074.jpg   Anne's M4A3 Sherman GPM-gedc1076.jpg   Anne's M4A3 Sherman GPM-gedc1077.jpg   Anne's M4A3 Sherman GPM-gedc1080.jpg  

Last edited by Amccombs3; 01-05-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 01-05-2019, 03:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
It fatigues me to think of doing an armor model...but I can understand the perseverance one has to have....(ships are the same way ..). nice to see your work on this cool tank.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:18 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Well, you are slowly getting there, and thats the most important thing!
Old 01-05-2019, 03:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Smile

Fine job on the sprockets, Anne, especially considering all the difficult twisty turney close quarters cutting thru that heavily laminated card stock. At least you'll get a bit of a break building the return rollers - only three parts each.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I think those sprocket wheels are beautiful!

Don
Old 01-05-2019, 04:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Your progress looks very good! I enjoy seeing it as you are able to work on it. Maybe, someday soon we could see a collection of these builds at AHEC or IPMC. Now if we could only get Boose and Steffers to each build one....

greg