PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 01-20-2017, 05:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Anne's M4A3 Sherman GPM

So yes, I decided on GPM's M4A3 Sherman for my next build. I'm not trying to be egotistical with the name here, but rather to distinguish my build thread from the several other fine efforts that other builders have shared on this forum. I will be making frequent reference to those threads as I muddle my way into this somewhat daunting kit.

So, on to first impressions. I'm expecting a very high quality kit with few fit problems, based on other builders' reports. The printing is beautiful, with subtle shading of this rather monochromatic tank (All OD All the Time). There are small parts, but none that are excessively microscopic. The tracks are built-up band tracks, which should help with the tedium.

The cover, printed on glossy card, has the expected handsome painted portrait of the subject on the front, eight photos of the completed model (in two variations) on the back, a history of "the legendary tank" in Polish, English, and German on the inside front cover, and two diagrams on the inside rear cover. One is a top and side view of the tank, and the other contains details of the optional accessories, including spare track, top gun, gas cans, wooden boxes, a bucket, and an add-on side rack that held (I assume) sand bags. I think the sand bags and rack are really ugly, so I intend to omit those; I'm reserving judgment on the rest.

Inside, we find 3 pages of formers, printed on lightweight paper; 5 pages of diagrams, patterns and instructions, including verbal instructions in English (which I greatly appreciate) as well as Polish and German; 10 pages of cardstock parts; and two pages of cardstock optional accessories as noted above. Page 7 of the cardstock parts also has a few diagrams which relate to the turret.

One minor confusion so far is that the instructions say to laminate parts marked with one asterisk onto 0.5 mm cardboard, and parts marked with two asterisks to 1.0 mm board. Then it says to glue all the formers onto 0.7-0.8 mm board. I couldn't find any parts with two asterisks at all, so the question is moot. I used some divider boards that I get from my friendly local comic book shop, and the thickness looks like it's going to be just right. This is a good thing because I have lots of that type of board in stock. I did the laminating with some Krylon Spray Adhesive All Purpose 2010. I have had a little problem with delaminating in the past, so I laid on a good heavy coat this time and will not start cutting those pages until tomorrow to give it a chance to dry thoroughly.

I also took the precaution of scanning all the parts pages -- just in case.

Because I can't resist doing a little cutting, I will probably play around with the first couple of colored parts, 1 and 2L & R, which are the lower indented part of the hull where the tow hooks mount. These were a bit of a puzzle, and I am grateful to Kevin Stephens for his fine photographs of this area, which confirmed my theory of how they were supposed to fit together. Parts 3 and 4 are the largest parts, the hull, and I may or may not get to initial scoring, cutting, and playing tonight.

This will be a long-term project; judging by my last build, it will take a year or longer. I intend to intersperse quicker projects now and then for the occasional shot of instant gratification. But right now, I'm looking forward to building my very own Sherman tank.
Google Adsense
Old 01-20-2017, 07:03 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Good luck. I'll be watching!
Old 01-20-2017, 07:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Great choice, Anne, looking forward to following along.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:34 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Good luck with your build. I'll be following along to see your progress.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Outstanding project. Kevin and Greg can provide lotsa advice.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Anne's M4A3 Sherman GPM-pmatusahec2010_greg-kevin-gpm_m4a3.jpg   Anne's M4A3 Sherman GPM-012.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-22-2017, 02:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Progress report: with the excellent modeling weather we're having (gray, drizzly, and damp), I spent several hours cutting out formers yesterday. Despite Airdave's best efforts to teach me to use a straightedge, I cut everything freehand with a trusty #11 blade in a hobby knife. I'm concentrating on making vertical cuts, since in the past I've had a tendency to bevel my cuts, and I'm improving, though still not perfect. I have the hull pieces from two of the three sheets of formers cut out, plus a few from the bogie suspension that just happened to be there. Unfortunately, I overdid it a little and woke up this morning with Paper Modeler's Index Finger syndrome -- a very sore fingertip. I'm not sure how much I can get done today. No pictures yet, so far it just looks like a pile of scraps.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
Great choice of model! Will follow your build
And if you like..take a look at my cutting tips..made a few years ago
Cutting
Old 01-22-2017, 03:09 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Good tips there Johnny!
Old 01-22-2017, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Good tips there Johnny!
Thank you kevin
Old 01-22-2017, 04:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Cutting formers with a #11 blade is only going to make the blade manufacturers happy since you'll use lots of them. Try a snap off blade cutter - really easy to use with a steel ruler and very cheap blades. You can also get jumbo sized cutters which are easy on the hands in those cutting frenzies we all indulge in.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense