PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 05-29-2017, 01:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Very clean work.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:20 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Looks great so far.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:24 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Super clean build. It's tough to get back to a project that has been left behind. I applaud you.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Despite Kevin and Greg's warnings and best efforts to help me out with the bogies, AND a test build on a duplicate from a scan, it's been a tough slog and I managed to botch the first attempt. Kevin had graciously provided me with the key sketch of part 9 that he and Greg worked out, shown in the first photo below. It was accurate, unlike GPM's drawings, which are somewhere between misleading and just plain wrong.

The parts in question are 9 (exterior skin) and 9a (interior skin), reinforced by 9b, c, and d, which are all glued to 1mm cardboard. 9 and 9a are shown in the second photo. In my botched attempt, the result of which is shown in the third photo, I had glued 9 flat to its reinforcement 9c, which is what is shown in GPM's drawing. As may be seen, the outboard section leaned away from the rest of the assembly rather than being at right angles. After MUCH agonizing and study, it became clear to me that there is a joggle on the outboard part of the skin, where the lower ends of the ribs terminate in a taper. I had also attempted to curve the upper end of the outboard skin, again as shown in GPM's drawing, but the correct method is two scored creases. The tight curve caused the paper to delaminate, and my repeated fitting attempts left the paper rather worn. Miraculously, I succeeded in disassembling it with some very careful hobby-knife slicing.

My fourth photo has been liberally decorated with lines to show how part 9 is supposed to be prepared: YELLOW lines are cuts, RED lines are mountain folds (convex when viewed from the printed side), and BLUE lines are valley folds (concave when viewed from the printed side). I cut out a second set of parts so I could try it out on fresh paper, and it worked out much better, as may be seen in the last two photos.

The outboard skin of the bogie has four vertical reinforcing ribs. The two side ribs are part of the structure, and are colored with tiny contoured strips on the unprinted side, as I've attempted to illustrate in the fifth picture at the top. I haven't placed the two inner ribs yet, but they just glue on. GPM's part numbers for the ribs are 9e for the inner ribs, and 9f for the side ribs. They are delicate, difficult parts to handle.

I will also mention that they will look better after edge coloring, but it may be easier to see what I'm discussing here with the edges still in white.

I have 4 more bogies to build, and that's just the basic structure. There are lots of additional wheels, springs, arms, and so on to be added to the core structure that is covered by part number 9 through 9f. But my sense right now is that if I can get through all of the six #9 assemblies, parts 10 through 15 might not be quite as difficult to figure out.
Attached Thumbnails
Anne's M4A3 Sherman GPM-sketch.jpg   Anne's M4A3 Sherman GPM-9-9a.jpg   Anne's M4A3 Sherman GPM-wrong.jpg   Anne's M4A3 Sherman GPM-cuts-scores.jpg   Anne's M4A3 Sherman GPM-exterior.jpg  

Anne's M4A3 Sherman GPM-interior.jpg  
Old 06-17-2017, 10:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Anne - I am glad to hear that you surmounted the outboard joggle and dealt with the bogie Bogie. Your post will be invaluable to anyone who builds this model. Don
Google Adsense
Old 06-17-2017, 10:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Yeah I remember those bogies....they were buggers.
Glad Kevin's​ and my previous efforts were able to help out a little.

Greg
Old 06-26-2017, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Congratulations on your successful bogie building escapades.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:18 PM

Thanks, all. I am continuing to work on them, but it's slow both because they are fiddly, and because of other demands on my time. This week I have 3 consecutive nights of baseball on the radio, my favorite accompaniment, so I have hopes of making good progress. I have all the #9 parts scored and cut out, and some of the reinforcements glued in, so it's going OK.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:15 PM

Update -- after many evenings of work, the basic bogies are complete. Tonight I finished up with the edge coloring and glued the ribs in place. I'm hoping I'm over the hardest part of this model, though there is a LOT left to go. In the photos, the first one shows the six bogies in six different positions, in the hopes that future builders can figure out how they go together. The second picture shows the six completed, ribbed bogies.

The next assembly will be parts 10, which are the arms supporting the return rollers, and 11, the rollers themselves. The rollers look like delightful fun to build -- each is a simple cylinder consisting of two circles and a rectangle. I'm unsure about the arms, though, and need to go study photos of others' builds to figure them out. GPM's drawings don't make it completely clear.

Speaking of GPM's drawings, I have concluded that the bogies were probably originally designed to be simpler, with printed rather than dimensional ribs, and that GPM later decided to make more accurate bogies but somehow failed to update the diagrams. Some of the photos seem to bear this theory out, but aren't quite clear enough for me to be certain.

After the return rollers, there are arms, springs, and road wheels (parts 13, 14, and 15, respectively) before I'm out of the suspension business on this model. But that's some ways down the road from where I am now.
Attached Thumbnails
Anne's M4A3 Sherman GPM-gedc1006.jpg   Anne's M4A3 Sherman GPM-gedc1007.jpg  
Old 07-03-2017, 07:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
These look good, Anne.

The images of your vogue's will help when I try my hand at this model.

Loos like it will be ready for display at the "tanks and tankers" themes IPMC in Sterling this fall.

Don
Google Adsense