PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 01-26-2019, 02:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 26.66 MB
Only a small amount of work done this week.
I completed the 1st phase of the intermediate track links - wrapping them over the card inserts.
I started fitting them with the 4 'teeth' but had major delamination issues with the batch so that swallowed up a lot of time as they are pretty small to be gluing back together! Somehow I managed to avoid gluing a patch of them properly.

I realized that the instructions for track assy are mis-numbered (see hi-lites of pic) the red area is marked to be cut out on the models parts page but is shown solid, the [249] card former is also marked to cut thru the center unlike [248] which is inserted into [251] (see pic on post #1 of this thread of the sheet of [251]s -they aren't cut all the way thru); the numbers look reversed, [250] & [251], i.e. given the number of loops for the track pins & the fact that they are printed with areas marked for mounting the various plates.
I managed to find some Russian info (but there are plenty of variants of track plates, wheels & tires to choose from!). My concern was the position of the 'tooth' that passes between the road wheels, I'm assuming it must be hollow & it must go on part [250] as far as the design is concerned.... so that is where I'm putting it.
Not convinced that is how it should be tho, but [250] is cut thru on the model & [251] is only 1/2 way indented. (Ref the real thing below in 'tracks -correct' pic) I suspect that the track-plate bottoms have been reversed in error on the model.

I've attached-some interesting Russian schematics of the various wheels & of the 1940 track plates I require. Of particular interest was the use of the holes for working on the tracks.

Also in a continuation of my thread hijack I saw Hobby Model has released that Vomag & 88, which is selling for c. $60 over at Orlik.
Attached Thumbnails
GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-t34-41-.png   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-t34-41-b.jpg   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-t34-41-c.jpg   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-t34-41-d.jpg   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-trax-error.jpg  

GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-intrm-track-links.jpg   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-hm-vomag.jpg   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-hm-vomag-2.jpg   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-track-work.png   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-tracks-correct.png  

Last edited by hirondelle; 01-26-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
doing a good job dispite the niggels.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the support Romanmodels, & your great build of the Sherman is certainly helping to motivate me

Having "nearly completed" the 80 intermediate [251]-based links, I looked again at the model design, the laser cut tracks on GPMs page & the 'real thing'.
The 'tooth' in RL goes on the link with outer end 'loops', not the intermediate link, & that link also has the 4 central teeth. As I said previously, the model differs by swapping these surface features with the link-pin loops position/number between [250] & [251]. (See attached)

I think I'll write to GPM about this so they can think about issuing a correction but...due to work already done I'll just have to push on. :(

I concluded the 'tooth' must still go on [251] - tho there is no marking for the exact placement I can guess by viewing where there is a central gap between the loops. So I am gonna start on those teeth [252-3] next.

On the construction so far : -
I found that a paper-clip is exactly the right diameter for shaping the loops.
I threaded the small circles [257] onto a pin & did the edge coloring, I used the resulting hole & in that & the holes in the other parts for alignment when gluing the link plates together.
Attached Thumbnails
GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-250.png   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-251.png   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-lc-tracks-produkty-272059-2-jpg-1900-1200.jpg   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-int-tr-3p.png  
Old 02-03-2019, 05:02 PM

Good work on the tracks. din't notis the GPM did the vomag as well I got the hobby model one for Christmas just slowy got to get the laser cuts now

Old 02-04-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanmodels View Post
Good work on the tracks. din't notis the GPM did the vomag as well I got the hobby model one for Christmas just slowy got to get the laser cuts now
Hey romanmodels, I believe the GPM Vomag is due for release later in February. No price listed yet.
I wondered if it was by the same designer & whether the color schemes were different between the 2 publishers. How does the HM version look?
I'd have been excited to get that for xmas

It is kinda strange but I'm enjoying making the track elements despite the repetition & there is a high from making them esp as they appear better than the laser cut ones. I see from your sig that these highs are normal in this hobby
------------------------------------------------------------

On the T34 I have discovered that I have missing track parts - these have been left off the sheets in error I guess.
Spent last night counting track elements on my page scans.
They are not the most difficult to reproduce as at least I have the patterns provided by the rest of the set, but it is an irritation.
[257] - 160 req'd; 155 available.
[252(x2)+253] 80 sets req'd; 78 available.

It's not as if there isn't enough whitespace on the pages for these so it is disappointing but easily overcome.

I think I shall create a list to send to GPM when I finish, maybe they will respond...
Google Adsense
Old 02-11-2019, 07:53 AM

Started in on the 2nd set of 80 track plates.
This isn't as daunting as the 1st lot, & I've been undeterred by the prospect of removing 1520 more small rectangles

I got to thinking about sprue from my P_$tic days & how that might help with the teeth.
It hasn't really worked out as I'd like, so will have to try something else as these tapered teeth are quite small to work with whilst maintaining the tapered spacing.
Attached Thumbnails
GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-teeth.png   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-trax-2.png  
Old 02-11-2019, 03:27 PM

Hi Hirondelle.
The MH Vomag is field gray but it is a dark gray almost black a bit disappointing but is a well-detailed model. the gun comes as a separate model.

making track links is not as bad is it seems and is worth it if it's a detailed model and made first with that new model buzz.

I'm making answers eu07 electric loco and there are no written instructions and the designer or printer forgot that it has 2 bogeys and cabs so there are not always the right number of parts

Old 02-25-2019, 08:58 AM

Hey romanmodels. AFAIK the GPM Vomag is still not available so it may be that feld-grau is all anyone will get for a while.
Having a gray page of parts reminds me of that Famo kit. That looks really good in FG tho so I expect the Vomag will too.

I'm finding the repetitive work on the tracks OK tbh, altho these teeth are real fiddly & I haven't yet decided on/found an 'optimal' way to build the tapered shape with any speed!
Not sure I would be so calm about your sherman tracks, but I am already thinking about more tank builds !!!

I've seen that at least one publisher offered PDF errata pages for their models so I will submit my findings when I'm done. In any case, if I make sure the thread here has the info it should help others.
I guess for E. Europe they are so familiar with the way paper models work that they just assume you will do any scratch building necessary to fill any gaps in the accuracy of the published model. Could you be a real man if you can't/don't? :D

I can say that the process so far has given me a new understanding of the flexibility of paper as a medium. Once you start to figure it out it seems waaay more manageable/adaptable than pl@$_c.

Not much 'progress' since my last post - it's been more cutting than building. I am almost ready to assemble the 2nd batch of plates & continue wrestling with these teeth....

I'm still working on the basis that I want to see what I can do given the kit as is, rather than with me modding it in any way. Once I get the hang of building/adapting these things to the way they are supposed to work I will probably move onto attempting the 'realistic' versions I see the experts doing. Right now it's gonna be plain-old 'boxing' tho.
Attached Thumbnails
GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-track-teeth.png   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-track-plts-batch-2.png  
Old 04-30-2019, 11:41 AM

Another unscheduled break... will try to get back on track soon.
But meantime I'll do a quick thread hijack...

In other news -
I found a real useful seller who put pictures of model pages on their site to help you get an idea of what you will be getting into. Major bonus for those like me who like a few clues.
site

Turns out the Vomag will also be released by Wektor in another fetching color scheme. Wonder if the same designer is behind all 3 variants?
Old 07-30-2019, 01:42 AM

The unscheduled delays are still an issue but I was able to whip myself into doing a few teeth.

I am still not really sure of an optimal way to construct these, & they are hollow in real-life so no padding out! :P
I'm flying blind but they aren't too bad.
Nicer than the laser cut teeth I think which do not taper & of course aren't hollow...
My main objective of making 'real' tracks & lots of circles/wheels is progressing & I hope to keep crawling forward.
Attached Thumbnails
GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-teeth1.jpg   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-teeth2.jpg  
Google Adsense