PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 08-29-2019, 02:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 26.66 MB
As I prefer to let the artist/designer of the model handle the colors (& I want to reveal that the model is paper) I try to resist painting my paper models. GPM normally provides rich color schemes so edge coloring should be pretty much all I would do.
But...
Whilst assembling these I realized that I should have cut on the line for the 'windows' which become brackets. I'd cut slightly inside but this meant that I needed do a lot of 0.01mm slices trimming the loops to allow the links to mate up nicely.
I was then pushed towards paint to patch up a lot of now visible edges, (I'd blacked them all before folding) & then once the paint began to splurge I ended up doing a multi-coat/tone cover up.
I tried to lean to the color of the dark cast iron rather than the paler grey stuff, but I may have been influenced by our Russian Blue who decided these snakes needed his attention, rather than the T-34 I found in Ekaterinaburg.

No idea where the paint is going to hit next, but at least I finally have some articulated tracks
Attached Thumbnails
GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-t34-76_camo.jpg   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-track-1.jpg   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-track-2.jpg   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-ru-blu.jpg  
Old 09-03-2019, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 125.32 MB
Nice work! Like the cat too!

Bob
Old 09-03-2019, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirondelle View Post
It is interesting comparing this model T34 with the later ones. Clearly the T34 it has a number of changes taking place throughout the war. The obvious ones like bigger guns, can obscure the many little tweaks & trials that occurred elsewhere in the design.
This model is showing me a few things I didn't know about early T34s. One thing I liked was the bending in/under of the front corner of the fender. This simple act pushes back in any track pins trying to wiggle loose as they pass. Quality engineering with a hammer
Hmm, interesting.

Has been a long time since I was in to tanks and did any study of them.
All along, though, a fundamental design philosophy of the T-34 series seems to be, "If the tank doesn't NEED it, you don't get one."

And say hello to that Russian Blue for us!
Old 09-04-2019, 10:45 AM

Thanks for stopping by guys

Cats do love paper & boxes, & this makes models all the more attractive, whether it's just sitting in the middle of the instructions, adding ventilation to a fuselage or killing those snake-like tank tracks - it's all good!
& Malchik is always happy to have more admirers :D

Russian mind-set & war-time expediency did tend to make no-frills machines. Whole lot better when it can to maintenance & repairs tho, I hate to think what it must have been like trying to work on damaged nested wheels on the later panzers, when being shot at.

Hopefully getting the drive wheels done next but I think there are a couple of bits missing... details to follow.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Very cool Topolino. Only one cat I know has greener eyes than that fine looking kitty.
Google Adsense
Old 09-05-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1158 View Post
Very cool Topolino. Only one cat I know has greener eyes than that fine looking kitty.
Topolino? You've got me.
Italian Mickey Mouse, cars or maybe a pizza - I guess the tank camo could be described as pizza like...

Old green eyes here sure is getting some love. I'll try not to let it go to his head.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:06 PM

Small update on the drive wheels.

The observant experts will notice [175] is short. Not the most difficult item to make luckily. I will add some to my errata sheet in due course.

The petal construction of the wheel-hub domes is I think a bit fine. The domes on the front drive wheels are only 4mm in diameter when assembled. (see 'petal' pic below}
The same dome should (?) have been possible to make with fewer/slightly larger individual petals. The fine nature makes them tricky to cut & build. Once assembled they obviously need a bit of paint to make them uniform in appearance.
I suspect the reason the 'demo' model on GPMs page is missing hub domes is precisely because of the fine gauge petals.

My front drive wheels didn't come out too bad though, & I had fun .
This is partly due to the new circle cutter I got a while back. The ratchet function is much more user friendly than the old one I started this build with
olfa CMP3 which I found cheapest direct from Japan via Amazon.

Not sure about how the rear pair will respond to my attentions as they have a lot more (tiny) parts. But hopefully I will make a start on them shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-dw-sch.jpg   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-drive-wheels-1.jpg   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-drive-wheels-2.jpg   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-petal.jpg  
Old 09-14-2019, 05:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I didn't know any of the original T-34s still exist.Is this a real one or later model fitted with parts to look like one?
Old 09-15-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
I didn't know any of the original T-34s still exist.Is this a real one or later model fitted with parts to look like one?
I've seen a number of rare beasts over there - Russian & German. If you visit Kubinka (outside Moscow) they have a worldwide collection which covers all the developments & has a lot of fun stuff to do
The pic above of the one in Ekaterinaburg is supposed to be the 1940 version
The plaque clearly says 1940 model, (unfortunately even the highest res pic I found isn't clear enough to see the full text details-see attached) & as they have several T-34s from 1940 onwards they have a clear range of changes visible:-track types, hull changes, turrets etc can all be seen to vary over the years.
Pyshma Museum
You could always contact them & ask for specifics. I haven't actually been to Pyshma (yet?) but it looks like a good museum.
Attached Thumbnails
GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-pl-t34.png  
Old 10-22-2019, 11:53 AM

Drive wheels nearly complete - pics to follow.

I thought I would post my updated errata sheets which I managed to do. I have done these @600dpi on A4 as A4 is the size of the original page. It should be possible to copy & paste them to any size sheet of course.
I figured maybe somebody may need it before I finish my build...

This includes missing parts found so far, & I have edited the track plates to make them match the 1940 design where the intermediate plate does not have the tooth!
There are some nut & bolt heads for the back of the wheels, these may be laminated for more thickness if req'd. They shown are in the assembly schematic but do not exist on the parts sheet.

The [175] part:- This is 2 short on the parts page & white on the back.
After reviewing the real thing, on mounting to the wheel I decided that the hook end should be put at the outer edge. I think this is to allow more access space for the tooth but the design may also have something to do with throwing off mud & water. I have added the full qty of [175]s req'd & made sure they are colored on both sides, to my sheet #1.

Hopefully it won't be too much longer before I get to finish off my running gear & get some pics up.
Attached Thumbnails
GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-ru-track-link-design.jpg   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-errata-1a.jpg   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-errata-1-reverse.jpg   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-errata-2a.jpg   GPM 353 T-34/76 mod. 1940-errata-3a.jpg  

Google Adsense