PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 02-14-2017, 10:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Very beta 1:50 Oberschlesien tank

The Oberschlesien tank was a WW1 German medium tank which was under construction at the time of the Armistice. It was powered by an Argus aero engine and, unusually, had the drive sprocket in the centre of the track frames.

Wayne's model is based on the very limited information which has survived about this tank. I built a very rough beta model from Wayne's white model. Wayne has since finished the model and I'm building another beta - at least I have instructions to follow - makes it much easier.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Very beta 1:50 Oberschlesien tank-oberschlesien_green_1.jpg   Very beta 1:50 Oberschlesien tank-oberschlesien_green_2.jpg   Very beta 1:50 Oberschlesien tank-oberschlesien_green_3.jpg   Very beta 1:50 Oberschlesien tank-oberschledien_green_4.jpg   Very beta 1:50 Oberschlesien tank-oberschlesien_green_5.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 02-15-2017, 03:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
It's surprising how quickly tank design evolved. This is quite a leap from the A7V. Is this one of the first turreted tank designs?

--jeff
Old 02-15-2017, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugelfang View Post
It's surprising how quickly tank design evolved. This is quite a leap from the A7V. Is this one of the first turreted tank designs?

--jeff
Certainly the first German turreted tank. I think the Renault FT was the first turreted tank in service. The cylindrical turrets on the Oberschlesien tank look as if they were inspired by armoured car turrets.

Charlie
Old 02-15-2017, 09:43 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
For a rough beta sure looks pretty good to me.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A good model in and of itself. You and Wayne (not to mention other of your Landships II colleagues) are doing a great service in researching these vehicles and producing as accurate replicas as the existing documentation permits.

On 1 April, we are having a paper modeling event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center). I am going to begin the event with a lecture on Military History Through Paper Modeling and intend to mention the historical contribution made by you and the Landships II crew.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 02-16-2017, 04:16 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Have to agree with with Rich - looks good for a rough beta. Another most interesting tank from WWI. Thanks to you and Wayne for bringing it to life.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:08 PM

Another Oberschlesien beta - this one has hypothetical markings which Wayne refers to as "early" - it has eisenkreuz (iron cross) markings which were phased out in early 1918.

I improved (?) some items in the model:
- cut through the engine deck grill to give more texture.
- changed the mud chute arrangement to make it easier to line up the chutes.
- added grouser bars to the track (very fiddly)
- the exhaust is a cheat - it's 1.5mm copper wire with the silencer wrapped around the wire.

The camouflage pattern has some places where it doesn't match - Wayne has already fixed this.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Very beta 1:50 Oberschlesien tank-oberschlesien_early_1.jpg   Very beta 1:50 Oberschlesien tank-oberschlesien_early_2.jpg   Very beta 1:50 Oberschlesien tank-oberschlesien_early_3.jpg   Very beta 1:50 Oberschlesien tank-oberschlesien_early_4.jpg   Very beta 1:50 Oberschlesien tank-oberschlesien_early_5.jpg  

Old 03-03-2017, 04:36 PM

The final (I hope) Oberschlesien beta. This one has the late balkan crosses. I can't resist fiddling with designs so this one has a couple of extras.

-the engine deck support is a lot better so the texture looks quite good and the deck remains flat.
- built up the drive sprocket covers (centre of the track frames) - it's fairly subtle but looks quite nice. Getting the additional parts to line up was interesting.

The model will be available on Landships II when Wayne is happy with it.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Very beta 1:50 Oberschlesien tank-oberschlesien_late_1.jpg   Very beta 1:50 Oberschlesien tank-oberschlesien_late_2.jpg   Very beta 1:50 Oberschlesien tank-oberschlesien_late_3.jpg   Very beta 1:50 Oberschlesien tank-oberschlesien_late_4.jpg   Very beta 1:50 Oberschlesien tank-oberschlesien_late_5.jpg  

Old 03-03-2017, 09:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
That is so cool. I love both the WW1 style cammo and the green. Wonderful work.