PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 10-24-2017, 08:29 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
1/72 K-Wagen, 1918

I present my recolor of forum member Bryan Tan's K-Wagen. Besides the new coloring, I made a few minor changes to the design as well. This is a thoughtfully designed model, and I encountered no difficulties during the assembly. The kit has the skins only, so glue tab locations is up to the builder. There is no supporting structure either, so reinforcement is needed. The big flat top surface definitely needs to be laminated to something pretty sturdy and resistant to warping/bellying. Most critical, is to ensure that the top and bottom hull halves are perfectly aligned, or the side sponsons will not sit exactly plumb and level (mine is not perfect, but the defect is not obvious in the photos). Considering the small scale, it's a pretty big tank model, measuring a little over 7 inches in length, and 3.5 inches in width (not counting the cannons and machine guns). This thing is bristling with guns, and it's difficult to find a place to pick it up without damaging it.

The super heavy German GrossKampfWagen never saw action during WWI, although 2 prototypes were nearly completed at war's end. It weighed 120 tons, and had a crew of 27. It was powered by 2 Daimler engines totaling 1,300 HP. Despite all that horsepower, its top speed was estimated to have been less than 5 mph, and that on a hard flat surface. Armament consisted of four 77mm fortress guns, and seven 7.92mm machine guns. Had it been completed early enough to see combat, the plan was to disassemble the tank into sections and transport the sections by rail as close to the front as possible, where it would be reassembled before lumbering off under its own power.

Bryan appropriately named the tank Mjolnir, the formal name of Thor's hammer.
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 K-Wagen, 1918-kwagen-left-side.jpg   1/72 K-Wagen, 1918-kwagen-overhead.jpg   1/72 K-Wagen, 1918-kwagen-overhead-closeup.jpg   1/72 K-Wagen, 1918-kwagen-right-front.jpg   1/72 K-Wagen, 1918-kwagen-right-rear.jpg  

1/72 K-Wagen, 1918-kwagen-right-side.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-24-2017, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very nicely done Don!

As always, great attention to details, color, and weathering.

Don
Old 10-24-2017, 11:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
It's a German tradition - at the end of war they builds something like Maus.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:08 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Thanks for your comments, fellas. The biggest challenge I see with this tank is getting in and out of it. There are no side doors, and without a ladder, it would be almost impossible to climb up to the top to access the two hatches.