PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 06-14-2018, 10:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
With much trepidation I have begun work on the Famo.

It will be awhile before I have pictures of any progress, because I am in the planning stage. I am also going out of town for the next three weeks and will not be taking this one with me to do any build work.

I highlighted the first ten part numbers on all parts pages and have separated out those pages, instructions and build diagrams for the first two part number sets.

I have begun translating the first few sections of the instructions for the frame, the bumper and for the additional detail subassemblies provided in the book (more on these later).

Before I cut fold and glue, I have noticed that previous builds on THIS forum have shown progress but have not detailed out any issues. compromises or other work around for these issues. My hope is to address those head on. I already have a mandate from Kevin Stephens for lots of pictures. I'll do my best!

greg
Old 06-19-2018, 08:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow, yes do continue!
Old 06-20-2018, 08:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looking forward to future reports.

Don
Old 06-20-2018, 10:25 AM

I have not done much with this since last week but thought I would take a minute to address something I have not seen on previous Angraf Famo builds - the spade.

This model comes with some optional items that one could use to customize their model. One of these items is a rear mounted spade used to dig in when trying to recover a tank or other item from a hard to reach area via winch.

After some thought, this will be one of the items I do add to this build, just because it's different.

To illustrate what it looks like, I have attached a photograph of a (Tamiya?) model built by Dave Dean posted on the missing-lynx.com website.

greg
Attached Thumbnails
Famo, trailer and stug III - long term project-famo_dean3.jpg  
Old 06-22-2018, 12:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by modelperry View Post
I have begun translating the first few sections of the instructions for the frame, the bumper and for the additional detail subassemblies provided in the book.

Looking forward to seeing more of this one... just a quick question, how do you go about translating your instructions? Is it just a matter of manually typing them into an online translator or is there some other method I'm unaware of?

I'm curious because I'm due to start work on my first polish kit,the Modelik Scud... and was just going to use your build thread as a guide, I hadn't really considered translating the instructions, other than to determine lamination thicknesses.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Google Adsense
Old 06-22-2018, 06:18 AM

I use google translate and the labor intensive method of typing it all in. It is slow and cumbersome. My plan is to do it in sections to spread out the pain and agony.

In regards to the Scud, I did not translate the instructions and tried to go by part number. I suspect that the instructions would be rather generic, but am not sure on that point.

There are enough mistakes in the Scud that it may be better to rely on the build threads you find to help you along. I tried to do my best to describe my issues and workarounds and hope it is of service to you, but you may find other better or additional advice in other threads.

greg
Old 06-22-2018, 08:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Greetings, a method that works very well for me to translate is to photograph the text and then use the translator, the translator scans the text, we select the paragraph or what we want to translate and it's ready. It's easy, I do it from my cell phone and it works quite well. I use it to translate the WoT pages in Russian and it works well
Sergio
Old 06-23-2018, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Thanks guys, I'll try both those methods and see how i go.

And yes, Greg, I'm hoping to find the info I need in build threads like yours, I haven't come across any others that see the project through to the end but I have found a photobucket album with over 150 photos of the entire build process that will definitely help. Sorry to drag your thread slightly off topic, we now return you to your regular programming...

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 07-09-2018, 11:19 AM

Now that I'm back home after three weeks of combined business/vacation trip back east, I have put knife, scissors and glue to the first parts of the Famo.

While I have not finished translating the instructions, I have enough subassembly sections done to start. While most of the instructions are, indeed glue part 1a to 1b etcetera, I have already used them to help locate some parts mysteriously hidden within the build diagrams.

As I work on this, I suspect I will be painting much of this model just to hide all the white. I just don't think simple edge coloring will do it for me and my Panzer gray paint is much darker than the printed color.

So my build starts where it should with the frame rails and fore and aft cross pieces at the ends.

Before I even get started, I noticed the top strip on the outside frame parts is not oriented correctly. However, if it was, then there would be an overlap of the strip onto the side. It would have been better to print this strip separately for each side. I ended up cutting them off and switching sides they go to.

The laminated inner frame rail cores actually do end up a bit too long at the front, but I can understand this as these 1 mm thick pieces have some bends in them at the front to allow the frame rails to taper correctly.

Once assembled I just trimmed them off with a pair of side cutters. No big deal.

Last picture below shows one of my reference materials next to the started frame. Such is the difference between 1/35 plastic vs 1/25 card.

Also, you can see the two round jack points at the back of the frame that are difficult to determine location without the instructions.
greg
Attached Thumbnails
Famo, trailer and stug III - long term project-img_20180708_133136049.jpg   Famo, trailer and stug III - long term project-img_20180708_154748013.jpg   Famo, trailer and stug III - long term project-img_20180708_154802303.jpg   Famo, trailer and stug III - long term project-img_20180708_191532593.jpg  
Old 07-11-2018, 11:08 AM

Elements 2 and 3 have been assembled and installed.

It was not clear how parts 2a, 2b and 2c were to be assembled from the diagrams provided. Luckily my Tamiya kit solved that mystery for me.

Also, I decided to replace the rolled bumper part with a lollipop stick because it was easier that way.

BTW the bumper is considered an optional part in the instructions.

greg
Attached Thumbnails
Famo, trailer and stug III - long term project-img_20180710_183328733.jpg   Famo, trailer and stug III - long term project-img_20180710_183344805.jpg   Famo, trailer and stug III - long term project-img_20180710_183354644.jpg   Famo, trailer and stug III - long term project-img_20180710_183409368.jpg   Famo, trailer and stug III - long term project-img_20180710_204022908.jpg  

Famo, trailer and stug III - long term project-img_20180710_204030376.jpg   Famo, trailer and stug III - long term project-img_20180710_204056944.jpg   Famo, trailer and stug III - long term project-img_20180710_202352975.jpg   Famo, trailer and stug III - long term project-img_20180710_204104289.jpg