PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 12-27-2017, 07:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
neubaufahrzeug vi, gpm 311 1:25

hi guys, back to work with a new model, this time the wwii german tank neubaufahrzeug vi, by gpm in 1:25 ; I don't think It was ever presented on the forum.

build in the late 20's/30's this is a kind of unique tank; only multi turret attend by german at a time this concept with developed everywhere, it was more a test proof and a propaganda item than an effective tank. Actually it was mostly a bad tank in every aspect,
Only 5 were build; 3 were send to Norway, only one see combat and was knocked up in a few minutes. Anyway, this is still a good looking tank, specially in parade.

1) The kit.
model is 27cm long. for the presentation and design, we got a typical gpm kit, no disappointment.

* history and instruction, no English. Really few build instruction on this one, anyway I personally don't use them, so not a problem.
* build diagram : 4 pages including 3 views and 3d views, look enough, model doesn't look that hard
* part : 14 sheets on A4 180g, including 3 for the tracks, lots of parts for the transmission, including several tiny parts to laminate, thankfully, it's on the lazer cut
* frame : 3 sheets on 80g, to glue on 1mm & 0.5mm
* photo : few colours pictures of a finished model

A typical gmp kit, good paper and printing though no weathering. The colour is more blue/green that in the cover

2) laser cut
There is lot of parts, specially for the transmission. On this kit, all (seem to be) included.
It's made of 4 1mm A4 sheet and 2 0.5mm sheet

3) track
Laser cut is available too. As usual, good engravement,

4) price !
model is at 16€, laser cut at 12€ (strongly recommend), and tracks for 12€

Let's build.
I start with the hull. Frame is a plain box, no issue, part fit well. Then the 4 sizes. Setting of the front turret is a little tricky, you can see a space, I will add some paper to support it (and close the gape).
For the main turret, you need to glue the frame on the model before adding the "skin"; I was expecting some problem with part 14 (long paper band for the side) but It went well. btw, laser cut is not enough, you must add the paper (as see in picture) or you will end 0.4mm short. Also I cut the "flip" and did all edge glueing
Now I'm working on the track guide.

See you for a next update !
Google Adsense
Old 12-31-2017, 05:39 AM

hi for what's probably the last update of the year

Worked on the 2 boxes / track path on the size of the hull. Lots of parts but what's looked trivial went into an unexpected turn !
Here the catch, the laser cut (k21/k22) are a little oversized, so when I was to glue the sides there's a gap of 1 mm. And because I didn't expect such thing into a gpm kit of course I already glued all inner frames. Only solution, a "recovery" operation. Not really clean but my mistakes should be hidden by the tracks .

Bye and happy new year's eve.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
interesting project. I will be following your build. Thanks for sharing.

greg
Old 01-06-2018, 09:30 AM

hi all and happy new year.

Thanks perry.

not so much picture but some update. I did most of the hatches door - still bolt to put on - and started working on the transmission with the idler gear.
Next, I'm working on exhaust pipes and the sprocket gear.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 172.42 MB
Excellent start. I'll be eagerly following this build all the way.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:46 AM

thanks guys.

As usual, I'm late with my build report
I added the aeration at the back. This part is basically made with a frame whom you "wrap" the side, then glued to the "base". Nothing hard but no place for adjustment. I focused on getting top and side aligned, this end with a little gap between the side and bottom of the frame but nothing to noticeable.

Next parts made was the two sprocket gear. Again nothing hard, just time consuming even there's lasercut, you have to cut the paper part too (for the size) ; now I paint with tamiya xf56, not only is faster but it act like a mastic and smooth the difference between paper and cardboard

added few bolt, mode to glue...

now I'm working on the rollers. Tracks are made for this model I have to add then soon in the build because I don't think It can be added after the bumper.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:39 AM

So the rollers. Nothing much to say, there's no real difficulty here. specially since wheels are fully laminated and included in the lasercut,
Btw I used the lazy technique : loose cut, glue to the lasercut parts, sandpaper and paint not the state of the art but it's fast, and more it works well !

Hopefully I will be able to work on more detail on the hull over the week end in order to start the suspension, here the "real" job will begin

bye
Old 01-27-2018, 06:52 AM

A little bit of work.
Did some detail, bold ,etc.. including a cupola (cz55-59) on the front and the exhaust pipes (cz-16). For those, this is not a success. They're made of a single part in "petal" shape that have to be bend and form. Hard to master, really not my best skill but I was expected to do a better job than this one

Then I started working on the suspension split in 10 structures. Not looking hard but lot of parts !
There's 40+4wheels whom I not going to build as designed. Instead of glueing some inner/outer band of paper I'm going to laminate everything and paint over (the inner/inside). Not only it 'll be easier, I'm going to have more regular form; downside, there's lot of part to cut.
Also I'm making the spring from 1mm rod

4 supports made, 6 to go.

bye
Old 02-14-2018, 05:27 PM

Some more work on the suspension for the past weeks ( already weeks ? time flow )
As expected, nothing hard, just lot of part (700) ; build is very slow which is a little frustrating but it's nearly the end.
I made the wheels ; I laminated them, it wasn't too difficult since I was able to use compass cutter. I little tip. With such tiny cut, once you cut the inner part, let it in place, this will keep the blade aligned ; If you remove it the blade cut the paper with an angle an it's likely to tear the paper

I'm now in the process of finishing part 81, then I will be able to finish the group 75/76/81 (wheel+arms+bottom spring support)

Old 02-20-2018, 07:18 AM

hi,

Continuing with the suspension with the assembly of the trolleys. Despite what pictures might look like, I'm still working on a tank, not a train !
If there is no difficulty neither here, it's still a critical assembly; all parts must be the same (and parallel) else the tank won't "seat" correctly. To do so I built a template (mold?) so I can glue parts on the right /perfect position.

Next is the spring. I'm making them from 1mm copper tin covered (for electronic) It's a perfect material, easy to form, easy to paint, strong enough not to deform with the weight of the model. Making even space is easy too, I roll it over a drill, then I'm using my metallic ruler to create the space, cut in size, flat the side. It will need some adjustment but this is for the next "session"

Google Adsense