PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 04-06-2018, 11:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.70 MB
Panzer IV 1:50 Scale WOPT

Hello Again everyone. I seem to have picked up a bit of momentum on my World of Paper Tanks builds these past few months. Following up my Tiger 1 and the Leichttraktor I decided to finish this portion of my German build group with the Panzer IV Aus F1/H. My standard cast of build tools as shown in the 2nd photo. The hull went together very quickly. I will admit I did struggle on the back right section a bit. Not completely happy with my work on it, but I will only photograph from the back left. Hopefully my build will help anyone who in the future wants to complete this piece. As always comments and critiques are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Panzer IV 1:50 Scale WOPT-leich9.jpg   Panzer IV 1:50 Scale WOPT-panzer1.jpg   Panzer IV 1:50 Scale WOPT-panzer2.jpg   Panzer IV 1:50 Scale WOPT-panzer3.jpg  
Old 04-06-2018, 12:19 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Looking great - I think the artwork on the WOPT tanks is great.

It adds so much character to the models.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
It looks great Darren, I like how it is going. The photos on the cover are very helpful. I model the panther and you wear it very well. I build airplanes almost always and occasionally other models, but tanks of World of tanks never until the M53 / 55. And I love how I stay, how everything fits perfectly and the quality of the models. I have fun as never before with these models. Good progress with your panther.
Sergio
Old 04-07-2018, 02:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Oh no it isn't - an Ausf F1 had an L/24 gun and an Ausf H had skirts covering the suspension. I think WoT meant to say Ausf F2 / Ausf G.

Charlie'
Old 04-09-2018, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the correction Charlie. I guess I didn't look at it close enough? Can't decide if I want the shorter Low velocity gun (F2) or the longer barrel (G) one on this. Leaning towards the Short.
Darren
Old 04-13-2018, 11:58 AM

Hello Everyone,

I was able to get some bench time this week and worked on the Turret of the WOPT Panzer IV. I decided to do the Short gun version or the "Kampfwagenkanone 37 L/24" which, according to Tank-Encyclopedia.com, was the Aus F1. The F2 was the first version with the longer barrel 75. It took me a couple attempts at the canon as when I rolled the initial version it was much to large. I think it was because of my paper thickness. I think it still is a little to large but I am ok with it.

The Ausf.F1, the last “short version”
The Ausf.F was a landmark in the Panzer IV evolution and development. The early model, “F”, called “F1” when the next model appeared, was the last of the “short” versions. The front bow plate appliqué was now replaced by a full 50 mm (1.97 in) thick armored plate. Side armor and turret thickness were raised to 30 mm (1.18 in). Total weight rose to more than 22 tons, which triggered other modifications, like larger track links (from 380 to 400 mm) to reduce ground pressure, and both the idler wheel and front drive sprockets were modified in turn. The F1 was produced to an extent of 464 units, until its replacement in March 1942. The last 42 were modified to the new F2 standard.

Once I get all the little details on I will tackle the track system. Not sure which version I will try as WOPT give 3 options of varying detail and skill level.

Thank you everyone for checking in. Comments and concerns are welcome.

Darren
Attached Thumbnails
Panzer IV 1:50 Scale WOPT-panzer4.jpg   Panzer IV 1:50 Scale WOPT-panzer5.jpg  
Old 04-13-2018, 02:24 PM

That turret looks very good, very well done. As for the guns in the M53 / 55, it cost me to give form to the longer tube, very thick the paper. In the Tiger I used a smaller thickness of paper and it was much easier. Things that are learned with practice. Your panther looks great
Sergio
Old 04-13-2018, 05:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Gun barrel models are always tricky to do in small scales. A technique I've used is to build the barrel shape up on a suitable sized mandrel - for a 75mm gun at 1:50 this is 1.5mm diameter - from 80gsm paper. You can get the barrel tapers pretty well correct by rolling on tapered pieces of paper. Once it's at the right diameter and shape the seams can be painted with sanding sealer or nail strengthener then the seams can be sanded off. You will have to paint the barrel but it doesn't have to be a perfect match because in real service gun barrels are changed out and often aren't a good colour match with the rest of the tank. The attached example looks a much better colour match than the image - the camera has exaggerated the difference.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Panzer IV 1:50 Scale WOPT-mark_ii-_6.jpg  
Old 04-13-2018, 05:36 PM

Thank you Sergio and Charlie for the tips. I will try to use those tips as I move forward in my AFV builds. For this one I think I will keep my current barrel as I would have to disassemble the whole turret. Now on to the thing that makes me even more nervous....the tracks.

Darren
Old 04-13-2018, 06:39 PM

I'm just also starting the chains and I use the method that I publish rockpaperscisor that is great although somewhat laborious but the result is great and it is well worth taking the extra work. Any method or system that you use will surely be great, greetings

Sergio
Google Adsense