PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 05-28-2018, 02:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Schneider CD Short Tray 1:50

Wayne's 1:50 model of the Schneider CD with the short tray. I've been trying to clear up part finished projects recently.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Schneider CD Short Tray 1:50-schneider_cd_short_tray_1.jpg   Schneider CD Short Tray 1:50-schneider_cd_short_tray_2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-28-2018, 02:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Very nice model, very good construction, very well done!
Old 05-28-2018, 04:49 AM

Thanks - I'm thinking about a Schneider CA1 using the CD hull and tracks with the superstructure rescaled from Wayne's 1:72 CA1 model. There isn't a model of the CA1 in 1:48 or 1:50. The detail in the CD model tracks makes this an attractive project.

So - what centenary occurs on 31 May 2018?- (hint) - it's about tanks.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 05-29-2018, 08:32 PM

I am not a historian or practically nothing of tanks, but I am curious.If you find out well on May 31, 1918 was the baptism of fire of the first tank with full turn turret, the Renault FT-17 at the Battle of Foret de Retz I know that you know a lot about this topic, if it is not correct, you correct me.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
Very very nice model. Wayne is an excellent designer.
Google Adsense
Old 05-30-2018, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Woo Hoo!! Another targit! Why oh why do you peeps even try to camouflage these thangs? I guess it does add at least a little sport.

In all seriousness great work young fella.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-30-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinalssergio155 View Post
I am not a historian or practically nothing of tanks, but I am curious.If you find out well on May 31, 1918 was the baptism of fire of the first tank with full turn turret, the Renault FT at the Battle of Foret de Retz I know that you know a lot about this topic, if it is not correct, you correct me.
Quite right - you get the bragging rights.

It's Renault FT by the way, regardless of what "experts" outside France say.

There were 31 Renaults deployed on 31 May 1918 and they managed to blunt the advance of two German divisions by attacking machine gun posts and troop concentrations. The tanks did this with virtually no infantry support because much of the terrain was open fields which offered no cover for the infantry.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 05-30-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Woo Hoo!! Another targit! Why oh why do you peeps even try to camouflage these thangs? I guess it does add at least a little sport.
The Schneider CDs were used behind the lines to emplace heavy field artillery like the 155mm GPF and 145mm Ruelle-St-Chamond guns across country. The artillery regiments (RALT - Regiment Artillerie Lourdes a Tracteur) were organised with 4-wheel drive trucks like the Latil TAR or Renault EG which towed a battery of guns - along with the towed guns was another Latil or Renault towing a La Buire trailer carrying a Renault CD. The trucks were limited to areas not churned up by shell fire - once the trucks could go no further the Schneider CD was dropped off and it towed to guns to the final battery positions. Once the battery was emplaced the Schneider then supplied the guns with ammunition by shuttling back to the road head. A complete battery of heavy guns could be moved overnight. The Germans hated and feared the French heavy artillery in the last year of the war.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 05-30-2018, 06:12 PM

As I said, I know you know a lot about this, thanks for the information, it's very good to know a bit of history. In this forum you not only learn to build models, there are people who know a lot about different topics and it is very pleasant to see how they share his wisdom. Many thanks
Sergio
Old 05-31-2018, 12:37 AM

Small correction - I was in a rush - the trailer with Schneider CD was usually towed with a Knox heavy truck. The Knox trucks were sourced from the US.
I've added some images of the 4x4 trucks and Knox trucks with towed loads.

It would be great if there were models of the Knox and La Buire trailer but Wayne hasn't been able to find any drawings of them. There is a 1/25 papermodel of the Latil truck but nothing in smaller scales.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Schneider CD Short Tray 1:50-restored_renault_eg_towing_gpf.jpg   Schneider CD Short Tray 1:50-latil_tars_towing_145mm_ruelle_st_chamond.jpg   Schneider CD Short Tray 1:50-knox_truck_la_buire_trailer_schneider_cd.jpg  
Google Adsense