PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 06-22-2018, 10:02 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
1:50 Benach armored tractor

When I saw Pablo Martin's (AgaPablo) instructive build thread A couple of Spanish Civil War weirdos @ 1/72 of this odd looking Republican armored tractor from the Spanish Civil War, I just had to have one for myself.

Designed by Jesus M Lopez Bea in 1/72, the model was not in my favored armor scale (1:50), so I had to resize it. The resolution of the original file is only 96 pixels per inch, so the enlargement required a recolor: The "Viva Rusia" slogan became an undecipherable red blob. All diagonal part outlines became stepped, and the multitudinous rivets lost all sharpness. After a few enjoyable hours of Photoshop work, I was ready to start building.

Before assembly I cut out all the gun ports, framed them with 1/16" basswood strips, and backed them with black card stock for a nice recessed look. I used bead wire for the grab handles on the doors and hatches. I modified the kit's steps, using only the tread portion from the original model coupled with hangers made of 1/2" staples. As designed, the caterpillars had cleats on every other link - I doubled the number, and put a cleat on each track link.

The base is card stock with a redwood texture. The groundwork is made from a kidney shaped piece of .5mm cardboard, detailed with crushed clay kitty litter, static grass, and a bit of hair root plucked from under my deck.

It was a really enjoyable build. I followed Pablo's order of construction to the letter. Even with the enlargement, every part was a perfect fit. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the red over black anarchist flag insignia, though. Most of the images I found online are black over red. I also found some with the diagonal running from top left to bottom right. Maybe it's supposed to be really confusing 'cuz, you know, anarchy and stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
1:50 Benach armored tractor-benach-.jpg   1:50 Benach armored tractor-benach-b.jpg   1:50 Benach armored tractor-benach-c.jpg   1:50 Benach armored tractor-benach-d.jpg   1:50 Benach armored tractor-benach-e.jpg  

1:50 Benach armored tractor-benach-f.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-22-2018, 10:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
dam that look good in that scale well done nice build
Old 06-22-2018, 10:07 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Well done Don!

The mud/grass in the treads is a nice touch.
And it holds up very well to the closeup pics.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 06-22-2018, 10:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Nicely done!
Old 06-22-2018, 11:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.47 GB
Really nice looking build!
Google Adsense
Old 06-22-2018, 01:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great model, Don!

Don too
Old 06-22-2018, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Great model, impeccable construction. The grass in the chains and the base are great. A beautiful job, very well done!
Sergio
Old 06-22-2018, 04:25 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
The tractor held up very well through the enlargement and recolor. It looks very good. You did well Don.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post

Designed by Jesus M Lopez Bea in 1/72, the model was not in my favored armor scale (1:50), so I had to resize it. The resolution of the original file is only 96 pixels per inch, so the enlargement required a recolor: The "Viva Rusia" slogan became an undecipherable red blob. All diagonal part outlines became stepped, and the multitudinous rivets lost all sharpness. After a few enjoyable hours of Photoshop work, I was ready to start building.
Sorry - that's partly down to me building a .pdf from a .bmp. Jesus says he is not very skilled with software and uses MS Paint for his models. It looks as if he used the default .bmp output when he saved the model. I had issues to find what the original scaling was and found 96 pixels/inch by trial and error.

If you'd like to share your 1:50 rework I'd be happy to put it on Landships II with appropriate attribution.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 06-22-2018, 06:58 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
My sincere thanks to one and all. I don't know why I was so attracted to this weird little vehicle, but when I saw Pablo's build, I put my other paper projects aside and dove in head first.

Quote:
If you'd like to share your 1:50 rework I'd be happy to put it on Landships II with appropriate attribution.
I'd be happy to share, Charlie. The 1/50 version is on 2 letter sized PDFs. You'd probably want to combine them into 1 file. A cover page might be nice. Whatever you and Sr. Bea agree upon is fine with me. I'll send the parts pages to you in an email.

A heads up: I'm in the process of reworking Jesus's Navarrese Armored truck. It will be in 1/50 as well. Besides the recolor, I'm combining some individual parts into cohesive, foldable subassemblies.
Google Adsense