PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 10-13-2018, 10:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 179.62 MB
Any slogan could be possibly painted in the heat of battle, but as I said in my previous post it was be very odd to find leftist and Basque nationalist slogans joining in the same vehicle.
Regarding leaders' names, bear in mind that Franco wasn't elected supreme leader of the Nationalist forces until late September 1936, when most of the Guipuzcoa was already overrun by the Nationalists. In fact, the supreme Nationalism commander for most of the Basque campaign, and the master mind behind the requetes, was general Mola, so he would look more probable to be in the aim of invectives.
Aguirre (don't forget the U in his name), was the head of the Basque government and a Basque nationalist himself, but his name became tainted as the war went on, because of his military blunders (he became known as Napoleonchu - little napoleon in euskera), so it would be little expected for a slogan.

Regards!
Old 10-13-2018, 12:34 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I see what you mean, and thank you again for your advice. I like the look of the colorful band of Basque flags around the turret, though. And I like the fist. So I'm thinking EAJ-PNV on one side and the back, and on the other side the fist and "Per A Euzkadi l'ofensiva". Does that sound correct?
Old 10-13-2018, 01:02 PM

The second sentence is in Catalonian, it would have sound too odd being used in the Basque provinces back then. Try instead Beti-Aurera! (Let's go forward! - in Euskera).
Old 10-13-2018, 01:35 PM

You (and Google translate) are correct. This is so confusing for a non-Spaniard. I like Beti-Aurera! I was also thinking of Sartu Euzkadic Iraingarritzat! (join the euzkadic offensive!)
Old 10-13-2018, 02:02 PM

The motto Beti-Aurera appeared in some battle flags belonging to Basque nationalist units, so it may have been also scripted on an armoured vehicle.
The other could be valid for a vehicle taking part in the December 1936 offensive, although it wasn't purely euzcadic in scope, but tried to relieve pressure in the Madrid front. After this offensive, which failed miserably, the Basque armed forces stood in the defensive till the bitter end.
Google Adsense
Old 10-13-2018, 09:20 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Fascinating. Love to see the interchange of ideas & thoughts here on the forum. Kudos to you both!
Old 10-14-2018, 05:52 AM

Thanks Elliot. I was thinking maybe I should have continued with AgaPablo via PM, but he provided so much interesting information early in the exchange that I decided to let it go, hoping others would find it interesting too. The whole Spanish conflict is fascinating and a bit confusing to me, especially in the Basque region.

This particular armored truck designed by Sr Bea is not of any specific vehicle that has been captured in photos, but instead is representative of the type of vehicles that were used in the conflict.

That being said, the made up history on the specific truck I'm modeling is this: it was originally a Republican vehicle which broke down and had to be abandoned. Repaired and then fielded by a group of fiercely independent Basque Nationalist fighters, the old slogans were painted over, the new ones painted on in their indigenous (and preferred) Euskera language. The Basque flag is prominently displayed on the turret. The slogans "Lets go Forward!" and "Join the Basque offensive" are on the sides. EAJ-PNV painted in red on the back of the truck advertises this band of fighter's allegiance to the Basque Nationalist Party. I decided against using the fist.

My personal thanks to AgaPablo for his help with the slogans because without it, I would have screwed up royally (and embarrassingly).
Old 10-14-2018, 06:01 AM

Great choice! I forgot about the fist in your last post, good point yours!
BTW. I found this on the web:
Attached Thumbnails
1/50 Pamplona Armored Car #3-ikurrina_-_eusko_gudarostea_-_beti_aurrera_batailoia_01_-_1936-1937.jpg  
Old 10-14-2018, 06:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
As Elliott said, fascinating and very interesting to read all this exchange of information and ideas boys.