PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 07-09-2018, 05:20 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
1/50 Pamplona Armored Car #3

At the start of the Spanish Civil War in 1936, the region of Navarra, with its capital of Pamplona, was solidly in the Nationalist camp (a union of Carlists, Falangists, and Fascists under General Francisco Franco). A column of prototype armored vehicles was constructed there, and were employed in an offensive against Republican San Sebastian - one of the very early military actions of the war.

These armored trucks were identified by numeral, and this model, designed by Jesus M. Lopez Bea is based on period photographs of #3. At the time the photographs were taken, #3 was a very plain vehicle with only it's numeral visible. Sr Bea's model is additionally adorned with a slogan, the Requete coat of arms, and the Carlist flag. Many SCW vehicles were covered with slogans and initials of political affiliations, so it's certainly possible that #3 carried these insignia at some point in its life. The model is also covered with rivets, which aren't apparent in photographs, but along with all the other adornments makes for a much more appealing and interesting looking model.

My version of Sr Bea's model has been enlarged from the original 1/72 scale to 1/50. It underwent a mild recolor with more clearly defined rivets, cleaned up insignia, and a few other enhancements. There are no instructions, so the modeler must decide the order of construction, and where/when to place glue tabs. This shouldn't pose a problem for experienced modelers, but will definitely present a challenge for novices.

I enjoyed this build immensely, and am educating myself on the conflict at the same time. Sr Bea's models can be downloaded at the Landships II site.

Enjoy the pics
Attached Thumbnails
1/50 Pamplona Armored Car #3-pamplona3a.jpg   1/50 Pamplona Armored Car #3-pamplona3b.jpg   1/50 Pamplona Armored Car #3-pamplona3c.jpg   1/50 Pamplona Armored Car #3-pamplona3d.jpg   1/50 Pamplona Armored Car #3-pamplona3e.jpg  

1/50 Pamplona Armored Car #3-pamplona3f.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-09-2018, 06:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Excellent, another beautiful model of civil war, great work Don.When I was a child, in my hometown, there was a Spanish parish priest and told some stories of that time. When in my country they took power the military he opposed and expressed without fear his repudiation. One day disappeared and we never heard from him again. These models, yours and those of Pablo brought me memories of a good man. Thanks
Old 07-09-2018, 09:42 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Nicely done model Don! Really like your work.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Very nice, great model.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:36 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Well done!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense
Old 07-10-2018, 05:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Excellent model, and a great presentation!!
Old 07-10-2018, 05:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Don:
Great Model did you figure what the "top Knot Thingy" was on top of the Back Box?
Thanks Miles
Old 07-10-2018, 06:31 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I appreciate your comments, fellas. Thank you very much. Miles, I believe the top knot thingy was a ventilation outlet. I can't imagine how hot it must have gotten in that metal box.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 179.62 MB
Greatly improved version, congratulations!
Old 07-10-2018, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Another excellent AFV model with very useful and interesting back story narrative.

Always a pleasure to see these builds, Don.

Don too
Google Adsense