PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 10-17-2018, 10:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Just a quick update for now, I've finally gotten around to assembling the front end, consisting of the front bumper and grille assembly, drivers and passenger cabins and engine covers.

I had a few mishaps along the way, firstly when attaching the passenger side doors, a wayward drop of superglue or two has resulted in doors that won't open and at the time I just didn't have the motivation to remake working hinges. I'll probably regret that later.

Secondly, I'm not sure if it's the design or just the way I've built it but the cabins don't tilt forward as it appears they should. They hit the front grille / radiator assembly which would also need to tilt forward but it either wasn't designed to in the kit, or I missed something somewhere. Not going to lose sleep over it, superglue wins again, none of this stuff is going anywhere now.

Drivers cab doors still open, that's enough to keep me happy.

So here it is, the story so far... I've built stands to hold it up, so it's sitting a bit higher than it should be and the wheels aren't attached yet. Still missing a couple of minor parts, which I may have accidentally thrown out so I'll have to scratch build some new ones.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-img20181018032355.jpg

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 10-17-2018, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
It looks great. The towing cable that you have made it with? I see it very similar to the material that I use in the tanks.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:20 PM

The towing cable is made from picture hanging wire, I have a few different types to suit different scales.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-img20181018062142.jpg

Old 10-17-2018, 03:44 PM

Thanks, it's similar but not the same. I use the coaxial cable mesh.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:29 AM

Looking further ahead in the build, I stumbled across a reference pic I hadn't noticed earlier, that solves the mystery of why the cabins won't tilt.

As you can see in these two pics, showing the outside and inside of the cabin, there is a rounded recess in the side of the cabin. I noticed it in the second pic while building the cabin interior but didn't think enough of it to investigate why it was there and not in the kit, today I saw the outside pic for the first time and now it all makes sense...

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-maz-543_scud_b_tel_017_of_192.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-imgp4068.jpg

If I'd realized early enough what it was for I would've adjusted the cabin and scratchbuilt it in. If you're building this model and you want your cabins to tilt (they are mounted on hinges already that allow them to be tilted), you will either need to add this recess or allow for your front grille assembly to also tilt forward.

Google Adsense
Old 10-20-2018, 08:09 PM

After spending over a month working on the front cabins, it sure is refreshing to finish the next section in a matter of days. Parts count was enjoyably low compared to the hundreds of parts and extras I just had to deal with for the cabins, I also had a helper but he didn't last long as he had trouble holding the knife.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-pparts.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-helper.jpg

Everything here was pretty straight forward, aside from the issues Greg came across in his build with parts printed backwards and the missing cutout from the front bulkhead. All the skins fit pretty well, I just had a minor issue with the last one I attached which was the curved one in the middle with the cutout section in it.

I used a metal mesh to replace the printed mesh parts, I doubled it up with a slight overlap to create smaller gaps, hoping to make it a bit harder to see inside, but seeing as there is a mesh piece on either side of the compartment it was still very obvious that there was nothing inside... Solution? Put something inside.

I consulted some reference material to try and find what's supposed to be in there but couldn't find any details other than that it's some kind of radiator... I scratch built a few objects and a small compartment that can barely be seen from outside, but it's visible enough. It's more visible in person than it looks in the photo.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-int1.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-int2.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-int3.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-int4.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-int5.jpg

Also, keeping with tradition, I've added a heap of extra detail in an area that most likely won't be visible when the model is complete. Some recessed panels with raised highlights and a bunch of rivets.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-under.jpg

There's a lot of small external detail on this section which was a bit fidly but overall, this was an enjoyable section to build and I wasn't expecting to finish it so quickly. I haven't painted it yet and probably won't bother just yet as I'm keen to make a start on the next section.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-b.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-c.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-d.jpg

Sitting on the frame, it almost looks like I'm at the halfway mark but realistically, I still have a long way to go. Also visible in this pic is a book I found on Amazon that I hoped might provide more reference material than it actually does, but will make a nice accompaniment to the model when it goes on display.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-img20181021122656.jpg

Next up, missile control and fueling control cabins. Looks like a bit more work than the previous section but nothing compared to the front cabins and rear section that comes later on.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Definitely the class of the field, fantastic.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:00 AM

Awesome! The amount of detail is overwhelming, great work.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
comeing along nicely jaffro

Old 10-29-2018, 07:45 AM

Thank you Mike, Sergio and David.

Work has slowed a bit on the next section due go other distractions but so far it's coming along nicely with no fitting issues etc.

I'm not happy with the level of detail, or lack of it, provided in the kit for the interior of the control cabins, compared to what I've seen in an extensive number of reference pictures. At first I was content to just leave them how they are but have decided to add some more stuff and hope I don't have any issues with the door hinges.

No pics yet...

Google Adsense