PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 11-17-2018, 09:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
thanks jaffro for the info. I am building my B-17 and I was thinking of weathering it but I have never done it and kind of scared to do it. I will do my homework and watch some movies about it and hopefully not damaged my plane so much. I found this product https://www.amazon.ca/10310-Ceramics...+paris+plaster and just wonder how would that work compare to the one you use.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
No, I don't think that would work too well if it's anything like the plaster of paris I'm familiar with. This timber mate stuff I use I'd in a small jar found in the paint preparation area of my hardware store.

Just found this on Google, looks like you can get it in Canada.

https://ardec.ca/en/p/452/timbermate-woodfiller

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 11-25-2018, 01:15 AM

Due to some unseasonal bad weather, I've had most of the week off work so progress on the rear section has been better than I expected.

I started by constructing the main platform parts as a base, so I could paint it separately and add the various boxes and compartments later on, instead of trying to paint the whole thing as one unit, which would have been difficult and messy.

I added a few extra panels and raised detail in what will become the wheel wells but decided not to bother with rivets this time as they probably won't be visible. In the upper area, other than a few rivets, most of the build here is what comes in the kit. As usual, Greg's build thread and his pics were a life saver here, most of the fit was ok but the instructions are a bit vague, especially when it comes to the rear end center section.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-1.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-2.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-3.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-4.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-5.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-6.jpg

Old 11-25-2018, 01:30 AM

Next up, it was time to start on all the boxes and cabinets. As usual, I separated and laminated all the required parts which resulted in a massive pile, bigger than any setion of this build so far. It was all a bit daunting and I had no idea exactly where I wanted to start, so I separated them again into subsections and proceeded to take them on, one at a time.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-7parts.jpg

Most of these went together very well. There were some issues with box wrappers not quite being long enough but in most cases the gap will be hidden when they're attached to the model. I added raised detail on some of them and in some cases I replaced kit parts with scratch built pieces. I've put a lot of effort into adding details to the inside of the cabins, so for the external stuff that's going to be a lot more visible, I've tried to ramp it up a bit. Some of these pieces aren't quite finished yet, I'll be adding more detail after they're painted.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-8.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-9.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-10a.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-10b.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-10c.jpg

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-11.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-12a.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-12b.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-13.jpg

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-14a.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-14b.jpg

Old 11-25-2018, 01:45 AM

The last of the cabinets in my pile was the most daunting, I kept avoiding it because it looked quite annoying to build... As it turned out, I really enjoyed this part and am very happy with how it turned out.

It's basically a cabinet containing a couple of gas bottles or something, and a bunch of tubing made from mostly wire parts, this was the bit I wasn't looking forward to.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-15a.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-15b.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-15bb.jpg

After spending an hour or more on the section above, I noticed when I placed the cabinet over the top that most of the detail I'd just created was going to be covered up or hard to see. Nothing unusual for this kit but I'm tired of creating detail then hiding it so I decided to do something about it.

The first pic shows how the cabinet was supposed to look according to the instructions, the rest show what I've done to open it up a bit more. There were already hinges designed to go where I've opened the extra panel but they're incredibly annoying to build and don't work anyway, so I scratch built my own by wrapping small strips of paper around a wire, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-15c.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-15d.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-15e.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-15f.jpg

I've just got two more subsections to complete, comprising of the stabilizer legs and a couple more cabinets that attach to them, then I'll be ready to paint all of the above and add some more detail.

Google Adsense
Old 11-25-2018, 03:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
It's amazing the skill you have for so many details. It looks great, great work.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
good work on the cabinets

Old 11-27-2018, 04:25 AM

Thank you Sergio and David.

I've almost finished the rear stabiliser legs and the various bits that surround them. While studying reference pics of the rear, I've noticed a lot of extra details I can add, like hoses for fueling up the missile etc and I've decided to add those as well, once I've built the missile and the launch pad. After that, all that's left is the missile gantry and attaching the wheels. The end is well and truly in sight, way sooner than expected.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:37 PM

Stabiliser legs and their surrounding bits, plus a mountain of other parts in the background, ready to paint.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-img20181128083817-2.jpg

Old 12-01-2018, 07:31 AM

One last cabinet to complete before assembling the rear section...

No idea what it is or what it does but I was inspired by some reference pics to add a bit more detail, seen below are three pics showing the way it was intended to be built in the kit, a pic of the real thing, and my version.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-1.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-2real.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-3.jpg

I'm happy with how it turned out, however it could have been better, an error in my measurements led to it not quite working out the way it should've, but still a big improvement on the original.

Google Adsense