PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 07-26-2018, 06:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Nice rolling stock. That is a bunch of parts to place.
How many did the gremlins steal?
Old 07-26-2018, 09:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
What torture! What patience you have for all that, admirable. These wheels look spectacular.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:25 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Indeed. Some of the best looking wheels & tires I've seen. They'll look wowsers when painted.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Thanks guys, they were a pleasure to build but the process of applying the tread becomes incredibly tedious after about the second wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
How many did the gremlins steal?
I got lucky there, that's for sure. The treads are made up of about 6 different shapes and there doesn't seem to be the correct number of all the parts on the laser cut sheets, not helped by the fact I'd lost the guide marks showing where they go after smearing putty everywhere... Some wheels ended up with an extra row of treads...

In the end I had exactly the right amount of some parts, with none to spare, and way too many of some of the others... I was prepared to run short, I made sure I finished the outside (ie visible) side of each wheel first, before continuing with the inside that possibly won't be seen once it's finished.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 07-29-2018, 01:08 PM

Decided to go with the chassis next. I thought about putting it off due to the space it's going to take up but it seemed like an easier option than the impending nightmare of steering and suspension that I can't put off forever (but I can try).

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-parts.jpg

Everything went together pretty well here and following advice from Greg's thread again, I decided to make my own crossbars as the ones in the kit were indeed too short. I tried to roll the lower ones as designed but tubes have never been my strong point so I resorted to my usual method of paper wrapped around a wooden skewer. For the lower ones I left some skewer sticking out the end and mounted them in my dremel for sanding into shape. Although these crossbars probably won't be visible on the finished model, I still couldn't resist using some laser cut bolts.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-tube.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-bolts.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-crossbars.jpg

The sides of the frame go together easily enough, the crossmembers have little lugs that fit into holes cut out of the frame, once glued, this chassis feels extremely sturdy and strong.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-frame1.jpg

Below is part number 1j. There is little to no mention of it in the instructions at all and if it wasn't for Greg's pics I wouldn't have known how it was supposed to be folded. They go under the 4 pairs of crossmembers. I've left them off for now because they'll make it harder for me to paint the crossmembers. Same goes for the crossbars, I'll glue those in once they're painted too.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-1j.jpg

Once the frame was together, I added the flanges to the top and bottom, using a combination of pins and carefully balanced rulers and weights to keep everything level and straight. After that I gave the edges a light sanding, ready to paint.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-flanges.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-sanded.jpg

I'm still waiting on some paint to arrive... for some reason it's cheaper for me to buy paint from the UK and have it shipped here than it is to go to my local hobby store and buy it.

Google Adsense
Old 07-29-2018, 10:42 PM

Not being the patient type, I decided to start painting with the paint I already have, I've been keen to start using my new airbrush and couldn't resist any longer.

First I set up a painting booth next to my desk...

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-booth.jpg

I've been waiting for some vellejo black primer to arrive, thinking it would give me a nice rubber look for the tyres, the standard black has done a pretty good job on it's own...

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-tyre.jpg

Now I have a problem... The wheel hubs on the kit are green but the reference photos I've got show them in black. I'm going to add weathering later, but I'm thinking the green looks better as it shows the added details a bit better... I'm leaning towards the green for now but I'm open to any opinions you all might have...

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-wheels.jpg

Lucky for me the Russian Green I ordered is pretty much an exact match to the printed kit, I've got some Russian Green primer on the way as well as a few more bottles of the green itself and judging by the size of the kit, I'm going to need them.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:03 AM

Some pics of the chassis after painting...

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-20180730_175406.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-20180730_175326.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-20180730_175249.jpg

Old 08-08-2018, 11:24 PM

Just a minor update after what feels like major effort...

Most of the steering is done, however I lost some of the pics during the build stage. Instead of building and attaching everything as I went, I built all the parts and kept them separate for painting. It took a week or so of building and procrastinating to get all the parts together for everything up to about part number 19 of the steering. I was strengthening everything by soaking the parts with CA glue with the full intention of keeping the steering working, as it's designed to do. One simple error when putting it all together brought an end to the working steering but it wasn't a huge deal as I couldn't really see the point to all that extra effort for a working steering system in a model that is only going to sit on a shelf. Having made that decision, I doubt I will bother trying to build the working suspension either, I'm just going to focus on a good clean build, eliminating the working suspension should also save me a bit of time. I'll make sure it is positionable though, so I can set the ride height when I attach the wheels later.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-img20180730224514.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-img20180807233119.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-img20180808002039.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-img20180808143157.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-img20180808151123.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-img20180808181053.jpg

Old 08-17-2018, 09:50 PM

Not a lot of progress on the actual model to report but I've been working on building a large collection of parts that I'll attach all at once, to simplify the process. I just thought I'd make an update to save having to catch up later.

Next up was the suspension. Not a lot of problems here with parts fitting, just a lot of sometimes tiny tubes to roll and a lot of cutting. Thankfully the cutting time was kept to a minimum thanks to some handy lasercut parts, although I have to say, I'd love to know the thought process that went in to deciding which parts to add to the lasercut set... there's a lot of simple square shapes included on the sheets and some tiny curved parts that for some reason are not... a perfect example of which are the tiny little steering arms that attach to the wheels, as shown below.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-susphubssteer.jpg

Thankfully though, the suspension arms were included, they would have been really annoying to cut from 1mm card. They weren't very sturdy though, so considering most of this section will be holding the weight of the model, I've given everything a good soaking in CA glue for some added strength.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-parts1.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-susp1.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-susp2arms.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-susp3.jpg

I mentioned earlier I wasn't going to bother with working steering or suspension and have glued some of the parts from the steering mechanism... I appears that I might be able to save it and at least have poseable wheels, by customising the parts that make up the connection from the steering system to the wheels. I also, for now, have working suspension, complete with springs inside the shock absorbers, so fingers crossed, that will continue to work after I attach it.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-suspshocks.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-susp4.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-susp5.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-susphubs1.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-susphubs2.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-susphubs3.jpg

I've added some extra details here and there, mainly just some rivets, I can't help myself, even though most of it probably won't be visible once the model is complete. Next up everything had to be prepared for painting once I'd accumulated a pile of parts...

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-suspparts.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-susppaint.jpg

So now it's all been painted and is ready to attach, however before doing so I decided to move ahead a bit in the build to work on the diffs and the driveshaft thingies that go to the wheels as this made more sense than to try and attach them all later with other stuff getting in the way...

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-diffs1.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-diffs2.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-diffs3.jpg

This is where things got a bit nasty, and confusing. Missing parts, mislabeled parts, confusing diagrams on the instructions, you name it, it's all here. It really takes some time to understand the instructions to this kit, and that's not helped by the fact that the instructions for some sections are randomly spread over multiple pages. Add to that the mislabeled parts, both on the instructions and the parts sheet... parts are also spread randomly through the parts pages and some don't even exist. Yes this model requires some skill, but above all else, the two things you require the most are patience and time.

Having said all that, I'm actually quite enjoying this build, for now, I love a good challenge. We'll see how long that lasts...

Old 08-18-2018, 03:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
The amount of pieces that you are showing is impressive. I admire your patience, and above you have to deal with the instructions. Your work looks great, it's worth the effort.
Google Adsense