PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 09-25-2018, 08:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Ahh, great, thanks for clearing that up, I didn't think they went in there because they have a different interior colour, I just assumed they were a missnumbered part not mentioned in the instructions, because it wouldn't be the first or last time that happened in this kit.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 09-29-2018, 04:58 AM

Minor update time...

There's so much more work involved with this drivers cabin than I first thought, looking at instructions and other builds it looks like a decent amount of work but I've added even more work to that by having to paint everything and adding some extra details. I've scratch built a lot of the interior and some extra parts, like buttons or knobs that were drawn on in the kit.

I used a decal for the main controls/gauges in front of the wheel, but due to changing the colour of the interior, I had to add some 3D buttons and switches, mainly using laser cut rivets and painting with a toothpick.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-img20180928160507.jpg

After painting the interior it was finally time to start mounting some of the internal details, it seems like I've been working on this cabin forever so it was nice to finally see it taking shape. After installing most of it, I almost forgot to take a pic before dirtying it up to give it a used appearance.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-1.jpg

It almost seemed a shame to get it dirty after that, but old and worn out is the look I'm going for so I added a rust wash... 3 different coats were applied, with more and more water added each time to achieve various shades. After that I did the same with a black wash.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-2.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-3.jpg

Finally, this is Bob. Bob thought it would be a great idea and jump in to take it for a spin... As you can see, Bob is upset, not only because his feet don't reach the pedals, but he didn't realize the cabin isn't actually attached to a vehicle yet.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-4.jpg

Old 09-29-2018, 05:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
How much work there inside! It looks incredible, fantastic detailed and painting. The effort pays off.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:43 AM

Thanks for your kind comments once again...

Moving right along, Drivers cabin is about 98.9% complete, not without some errors along the way.

I didn't get a lot of pics during the assembly of the door hinges and attaching the side of the cabin, I found the whole process extremely frustrating and completely forgot.

The doors did not appear to fit in their places very well so I trimmed the outer panel to fit, then as if by magic, they appeared too small and didn't align properly, not sure where I went wrong there but it was too late to fix it. Same thing happened when I went to add the outer wall containing the doors to the rest of the cabin... it looked like it needed a slight trim but after trimming it appeared I'd taken too much off.

After forcing it together a bit of putty was needed to fill some bad joins and eventually I got it looking half decent. As if I hadn't already had enough problems, I somehow managed to spill super glue on one of my doors. The door could be repainted but some of it got onto the window plastic, leaving a nasty smudge. Hopefully this will end up blending in with the beaten up weathered look when I add some rust and dust. (Coincidentally, I have learned that this part of the real vehicle was made of fibreglass which of course doesn't rust, but I won't tell anybody if you don't )

So there it is, the finished (almost) drivers side cabin. I'm not entirely happy with the way it came out but it looks pretty good at first glance and I'm just happy to finally be moving on to something else... even if that something else is pretty much a mirror image of this bit. The door hinges work well enough to open the doors and although the closed doors don't line up too well, i'll probably leave them open on display so nobody will even notice.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-driver1.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-driver2.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-driver3.jpg

Next up is the passenger side cabin, this shouldn't take nearly as long as the drivers side as it has less equipment inside it, a lot of it is already built and I know now how to tackle the painting and masking issues etc that I encountered on the drivers side.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-pssngr.jpg

Old 10-02-2018, 04:08 PM

You have solved all the problems very well. From here it looks great, do not worry about those little details, the whole set looks great and shows the enormous work that it takes. We remain attentive.
Sergio
Google Adsense
Old 10-14-2018, 11:38 PM

things have been moving quite slowly on this one but they're still moving.

Right side cabin is coming along slowly, I've been busy with other stuff but found some time to get back into it...

Once again, instrument panels all had to be scratch built with added detail to replace printed details lost under the paint.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-leftc1.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-leftc2.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-leftc3.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-leftc4.jpg

Just got to add some internal weathering before finishing it off and closing it up. After that I'll be either assembling the whole front section with the parts built so far and/or attaching the wheels before this thing starts to get too bulky, or maybe even just move on to the next section, I haven't decided yet.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:30 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Nice detail work Nick.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:34 AM

Elliott said it, beautiful detailed.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:41 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Better and better.

I hope you are going to leave some doors etc open so all this great detail is not hidden?
Old 10-15-2018, 12:00 PM

Thank you all, your comments are always appreciated.

Kevin, the doors all open and close, if I ever put this or display at a show or something, I'll definitely have all the doors open and maybe even put it on a rotating stand so nothing is hidden.

Google Adsense