PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 07-14-2018, 09:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-20180715_125717.jpg

So here it is, the quiet moment before I slowly start to go insane.

I've always loved this model and have always wanted to build it, despite the many numerous reports of what a nightmare it is to build. After a few years away from modeling, I wanted something big to launch back into, to celebrate finally being able to build again, so here it is.

Not much to report so far, I've mainly been looking over the pages of instructions, trying to make sense of them. I've laminated some of the parts as required, I've also purchased the laser cut frames and wheels set. I recently purchased a Brother Scan n Cut, so I've been looking into wether or not i'm going to use that to help with this build. Seeing as I'm new to the Scan n Cut and this is the first time I've built from a purchased kit that cost a decent amount of money, I'm not sure if I want to be experimenting with the cutter on the actual kit.

I've decided to start with the wheels, as I've always enjoyed making wheels and a lot of their parts are included in the laser cut sheets. To start with, I've also photocopied some wheel parts to try out in the Scan n Cut which has so far given mixed results but it's looking hopeful.

Before I even start to build this beast, I've pretty much accepted that I'm probably going to need to paint the whole thing, because I know what I'm like when it comes to clean builds (not very good at it). I have a new airbrush, ready to go. It's been a long time since I've used one but I'm looking forward to it. I'm probably going to add weathering etc as well but that's getting a bit far ahead, I need to build the thing first...

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Google Adsense
Old 07-14-2018, 10:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
I wish you well an fingers crossed hope to see you post more photos as you go
Old 07-15-2018, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Great choice. I'll be following along.
Best of luck!
Old 07-15-2018, 07:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Good luck and patience with this monumental model!
Old 07-15-2018, 09:55 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Good luck with this one - hope it goes relatively smoothly....
Old 07-16-2018, 06:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Good luck on your adventure! Hope you are able to complete it within the marathon time it took me to get it done.

greg
Old 07-16-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelperry View Post
Hope you are able to complete it within the marathon time it took me to get it done.
Haha, thanks Greg. I seriously doubt it's going to take me... what was it... 8 years?

I think I can do it in 7.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:55 PM

Well I've survived my first week and haven't gone insane yet. I think it's time for a long winded rambling update, for those who can't be bothered reading, there's photos for you to look at.

As previously mentioned, I wanted to start with the wheels, for a few reasons. I've always enjoyed making wheels, I wanted to test my scan n cut on some of the repetitive circular parts, and so far I've not heard anyone complain about the fitting etc when it comes to the wheels on this kit, as opposed to the rest of it.

The scan n cut gave mixed results, I'm glad I used photocopies of the parts though as the results weren't perfect but that was more due to me not fully understanding how to use the machine properly yet. It helped me a lot when it came to cutting the internal tyre joining strips with all their triangle tabs, that's for sure.

In the end, most of the parts were cut by hand, except the previously mentioned joining strips, the laser cut parts saved me a lot here too. So, armed with a box of parts and some handy reference shots, I dove right in...

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-partsbox.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-wheel.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-treads.jpg

I should also mention here that my other source for reference was Greg's build report, which really made a big difference when it came to figuring out how this goes together, the instructions are only helpful to a certain point, where pictures help a lot more. I'm going to post as many pictures as I can of various stages, hoping they might be helpful to anyone else wanting to build this.

I was wondering how long I'd last before wanting to add extra detail too... Well, it was about 5 minutes. Looking at the reference shots, I decided the hub seals needed a bit more detail. It was at this point I decided the whole model is going to get extra detail and a full coat of paint. I've now decided to go all out, at this stage, adding 3D detail to every single detail that's printed onto the kit. I'll probably add extra stuff too, if it's in the reference photos but not on the kit.

For the hubs, I added the extra detail to the centre hub seals and some lasercut nuts (I had to draw the line at adding bolts to the inside of the nuts, but I was tempted). The pictures below show the original hubs, my upgrades and various stages of the hub build.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-hub1.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-hub2.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-hub3.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-hubseals.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-nuts.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-nuts2.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-hubparts.jpg

After staring at the reference shots long enough, it started to bother me that something didn't look quite right. around the outer edge of the hub, in the kit, are these little "fin" type parts. They looked good, but not really the same as the photo of the real thing. I rectified this by filling the gaps with white glue, watered down. As the glue dries, it shrinks as the water evaporates, after drying I applied another layer and repeated the process until I was happy with the result. After painting, these should look a bit more like the real thing.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-hubglue.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-hubs.jpg

Not sure If I mentioned it yet but so far there have been no fitting issues with these wheels or hubs. I was ready for it though and cut most strips longer than they needed to be, just in case. In the end though, everything was cut back to the intended size and everything went together really well.

I had a few small gaps on the tyres, but nothing major and it didn't really bother me as I intended to putty them anyway. I used a water based putty and watered it down to the consistency of white glue so it soaks into the joins. This enables me to create a rounder edge when sanding. Also, for added effect, I piped a ring of watered down putty around the flat sidewalls of each tyre, so I can give it a more rounded shape after sanding.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-tyre1.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-tyres.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-wheel1.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-putty.jpg

After sanding, it's time for tread. About 240 pieces per wheel. The kit comes with an entire A3 page of tread, to be laminated to 1mm card then cut out. They're not square, they're all kinds of weird curvy shapes. All I can say is... If you've built this model, without buying lasercut tread... You are insane.

I forgot to take pics of the sanding process, I tried something I haven't tried before. I glued each wheel to a piece of wooden skewer then mounted them in my dremel... mixed results at first but way faster than sanding by hand.

Applying the tread is an incredibly tedious process, made even worse by the fact I smeared putty all over the parts that were marked with where the treads had to go, so I pretty much had to guess. I think I added too many rows, but fortunately my laser cut parts seem to have given me more than I'm going to need. (Side note: Greg bought the "tread only" laser sheets from GPM and mentioned his were short, keep that in mind if you're planning to buy some).

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-tread1.jpg

After attaching all the tread, I found an extra tread piece not referenced in the instructions. Looking at the reference shot above, it's on the tyre, but using the parts mentioned in the instructions I still ended up with the same number of treads per row. I decided to add it anyway as I like the way it looks. I will be sanding them down to a point flush with the sidewall before painting.

So, here's where I'm at right now... One wheel finished, 7 more waiting for tread...

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-wheeldone.jpg

Old 07-22-2018, 12:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Great start! Glad my info could help.

Greg
Old 07-26-2018, 06:02 AM

Minor update, after starting with what seemed like a million pieces of tyre tread, the wheels are all done, ready to paint. I'm still waiting for some paint I ordered to arrive.

Modelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-20180723_200727.jpgModelik - Maz-543 + SS-1C Scud B-20180726_212818.jpg

After adding all the treads, including my added details to the hubs, total number of parts used so far is 3128.

It's going to be nice to not have to look at or think about tyre treads for a while. Up next I'm either going to start on the chassis, or the steering and suspension parts.

Google Adsense