PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 08-30-2018, 09:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
1:50 Saint-Chamond

The other WW1 French medium tank - the Saint-Chamond.
The model was designed by Wayne McCullough and is a fairly straightforward build although I did find gluing the upper and lower hull parts had to be done slowly and carefully. I printed the model on 200 gsm rather than my usual 160 gsm because I wasn't certain that the model would be stiff enough with 160 gsm.

The Saint-Chamond wasn't good as an assault tank because the long overhangs meant it got stuck easily. However, since it was armed with a 75mm field gun it found a role as a mobile support gun.

I scratch built the gun barrel - the original part came out too skinny and the recoil guides were the wrong shape. I think I'd scratch build the rollers under the tank if I were to build another - the as designed parts don't seem very convincing to me.

For the dimensionally curious the model is about 180mm long overall - the hull is 160mm long.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
1:50 Saint-Chamond-saint-chamond_1.jpg   1:50 Saint-Chamond-saint-chamond_2.jpg   1:50 Saint-Chamond-saint-chamond_3.jpg   1:50 Saint-Chamond-saint-chamond_4.jpg   1:50 Saint-Chamond-saint-chamond_5.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 08-30-2018, 09:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The Saint-Chamond model isn't of an operational tank. The number on the hull "706" is the FAMH production number. There is an image of tank #706 being tested on the Saint-Chamond proving ground as part of the acceptance tests for the French Army. Once accepted the tank was allocated a 5 digit official number and the production numbers were removed.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
1:50 Saint-Chamond-saint-chamond_706_scaled.jpg  
Old 08-30-2018, 10:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Beautiful build, very nicely done. That is certainly an ungainly looking beasty.