PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 11-16-2018, 09:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 52.78 MB
WoT Mk1 1:50th

3rd ever completed paper model and last one to be printed with the laser jet, the next project (KV-2) will be printed using a ink jet printer, hopefully It will solve the banding/unevenness and flaking issues I had on the first model
Attached Thumbnails
WoT B1 Bis-dsc_0163.jpg   WoT B1 Bis-dsc_0168.jpg   WoT B1 Bis-dsc_0169.jpg   WoT B1 Bis-dsc_0170.jpg  

Last edited by meece; 11-16-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.47 GB
Great job! Working on one myself.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Which KV-2 model? The best one I know is the 1:25 one designed by Alex Horsch some years ago - I think you can still find it on archive.org. From memory there are models of both KV-2 turret types. I think I've got a recoloured version of that KV-2 model (somewhere) - ask if you want me to search for it.

In Peter Jackson's documentary "They Shall Not Grow Old" there a few seconds of one of the Mark Is before Flers-Courcelette in 1916. What struck me was how bright the Solomon colour scheme was - perhaps the dull colours on the WoT Mark I really don't represent the original camouflage very well.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 11-17-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
Which KV-2 model? The best one I know is the 1:25 one designed by Alex Horsch some years ago - I think you can still find it on archive.org. From memory there are models of both KV-2 turret types. I think I've got a recoloured version of that KV-2 model (somewhere) - ask if you want me to search for it.

In Peter Jackson's documentary "They Shall Not Grow Old" there a few seconds of one of the Mark Is before Flers-Courcelette in 1916. What struck me was how bright the Solomon colour scheme was - perhaps the dull colours on the WoT Mark I really don't represent the original camouflage very well.

Regards,

Charlie
Hi Charlie
The KV-2 model is the WoT 1:50th scale one , this one too has both turrets and the 107 and 152mm derp gun. Doing the Derp Gun version as it is the one I played in World of tanks the most.
As for the Colorisation of WWI film, Im itching to see Peter Jacksons film in the coming weeks , however I still think there is a place for period images .. found this one tucked in the back of great grandads Ipad :P
cheers meece
Attached Thumbnails
WoT B1 Bis-dsc_0168_tonemappeda.jpg  

Last edited by meece; 11-17-2018 at 08:44 PM. Reason: added a photo
Old 11-18-2018, 02:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
As usual WoT has only an approximate grasp of history. The 107mm ZIS-6 gun was trialled in a single KV-2 with a view to getting experience with this gun ahead of the KV-3/KV-5 design builds. It proved to be very difficult to handle the large 107mm cartridge rounds inside the MT-1 turret and the project was abandoned. WoT has provided both the early turret (perhaps the first 9 KV-2s) and the definitive MT-1 turret (the rest of the production) in their model - both of these turrets were armed with a 152mm howitzer. The 152mm howitzer was only useful against static targets - attacking tanks with this gun is a WoT fantasy.

Peter Jackson's movie is definitely worth a look. I did find the way he stacked the interviews together into themes was a bit distracting because I kept trying to identify which campaign on the Western Front the veterans were talking about. The blunder they made in colouring the British tanks green really made me cringe every time - for those who don't know - the first British tanks had a multi-colour camouflage scheme - this was replaced by a uniform brown colour when it was realised that the tanks were quickly plastered in mud in action.

Charlie

Last edited by CharlieC; 11-18-2018 at 03:01 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 11-18-2018, 06:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
As far as I know, the KV-2 was never intended for use as a tank, let alone combating other tanks. KV-2 is described as a self propelled heavy gun.

The bunker-buster

The Russo-Finnish war proved the soundness of the decision to manufacture the KV-1. However, when encountering difficulties on the heavily fortified Mannerheim line during the Winter War in Finland, the General Staff demanded a specially equipped version fitted with a heavy howitzer, intended to deal with concrete bunkers, in support of the regular KV-1 units. Instead of choosing the more pragmatic solution of a traditional SPG, they decided to use the same turret ring to accommodate a fully traversed, redesigned turret that housed the gargantuan howitzer. This gave the KV-2 an unmistakable profile, with its towering turret, which was only accessible by a ladder – an obvious target which was also notably top-heavy, compromising the lateral stability of the tank while crossing a sloped terrain, a problem which would later haunt Soviet tank crews. All these deficiencies were taken into account when the factory was relocated in the new “Tankograd” complex at the steps of the Ural. However, production was no longer maintained. Only 203 were built in all from late 1939 to mid-1941. KV-2 Soviet heavy self propelled gun (1940)
Old 11-18-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
attacking tanks with this gun is a WoT fantasy.

Charlie
lol the entire game is fantasy as there are more paper tanks in the game than production ones.
Other than the MK1 I'm just building the tanks that i played in the game more for honing skills and stress therapy at this point in time rather than being too worried about historical accuracy
My son has sent me the Battleship Nagato and these tanks are just a way of learning new skills before I attempt to tackle that beast.

cheers Meece
Old 11-19-2018, 04:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Perhaps WOT seems slewed because it is only about tanks rather than a proper combat force of combined arms. Whether WOT would work on a real world basis is moot, it is what it is.