PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 01-23-2019, 09:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Answer-Studebaker US6

So I'm taking a break from the Famo to do a group build on the Facebook Panzer page. The group build is open to any WW2 subject serving in the European theatre (including Russia).

I also need a truck built for my local club for April's theme build.

So I pulled this one out thinking it would be a nice relaxing project. Yeah, its not so relaxing.

I wasn't going to do a build thread of it, but have reconsidered.

In general, the parts provided fit well. But a lack of instructions, poorly rendered diagrams (some mirror image to reality) and NO patterns for items that are to be fabricated are all hampering the attempt at relaxation.

So far the drive shafts and exhaust pipe have needed fabrication. I have replaced the rolled tube axles with plastic rod and the fit of the rear suspension takes far too many hands and fingers to get assembled correctly.

Also, the transfer case location and orientation is shown and marked incorrectly and orientation of the axles is so confusing, the only way to know how to build it is to find pictures on the internet or refer to a previous build of a similar drivetrain (Modelcard Zil Katyusha in my case).

So far this is making my Famo build seem like a walk in the park...
Attached Thumbnails
Answer-Studebaker US6-cover.jpg   Answer-Studebaker US6-frame-1.jpg   Answer-Studebaker US6-frame-2.jpg   Answer-Studebaker US6-rear-1.jpg   Answer-Studebaker US6-rear-2.jpg  

Old 01-23-2019, 10:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great project, Greg! Most of the Studebaker Deuces were shipped to the USSR under lend-lease, but U.S. Army Engineers used them to build the ALCAN highway in Canada and the Ledo Road in Burma and China in WWII.

Don
Old 01-23-2019, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Haven't started this kit so will be watching your build.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:16 PM

Now that I look at other pictures of other similar drivetrains and the engine configuration, the exhaust is on the wrong side.

More cutting, bending, gluing and painting ahead I see.

Crap.

greg
Old 01-23-2019, 02:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It you can make it to Carlisle this year, Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days would be a great venue to display this model. Even though I doubt that there were any Studebaker Deuces at Normandy on D-Day (the theme of this year's event), this is certainly a model that is relevant to "Telling the Army's story, one [truck] at a time," to paraphrase the USAHEC motto.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 01-23-2019, 02:49 PM

I'm weighing my options on when to make a trip back east. Assuming only one trip, I'm torn between Army Heritage days or IPMC timeframe. Doubt I can do both. There are other things going on here that may influence when I could make it back. Grandkid Number 4 is due in April, so That could affect my need to get away since all four and their mom will still be living with us...

greg
Old 01-23-2019, 05:07 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Looking great so far Greg, despite the difficulties. Is the FB Panzer Page a general European modelling page, or is it for paper models only?
Old 01-23-2019, 05:35 PM

General modeling. I might be the only paper builder there. Not sure.

greg
Old 01-24-2019, 10:09 PM

Finally got the chassis sorted. Moved the exhaust to the right side. Built up the front suspension without too much trouble. I did paint the exhaust and white parts but forgot a photo, will catch up on that later.

Next is the cargo bed. 2 mm thick cross pieces were not fun to cut out.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Answer-Studebaker US6-img_20190124_190559.jpg   Answer-Studebaker US6-img_20190124_190616.jpg   Answer-Studebaker US6-img_20190124_213054.jpg   Answer-Studebaker US6-img_20190124_213106.jpg  
Old 01-25-2019, 02:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Looks great so far - nice change of pace from the Famo
Question...How does this compare to Answer's Diamond T?
Google Adsense