PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 07-10-2019, 12:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
M4A4 Sherman VC Firefly, Halinski 1:25

Hello everyone
This is my first build thread on this forum, so please welcome.
As a matter of fact, i was in doubt about posting here this build, because there is already going amazing one from David aka romanmodels, and he is doing a great job in assembling this beast.
Actually, i used his thread as a reference, so thank you David
But my friends from paper modeling convinced me to post my own one, because every build process of same model by different modeler is unique and gives another perspective. I agree with that, so here we go.
Ah, and sorry for my english. Not my native tongue

I have several years in my bag for paper modeling (maybe later i'll upload my completed models into gallery), so there was a journey to this model,
and i feel that now it is a pinnacle of my “construction career”.

American tank M4A4 Sherman VC Firefly
Anyone who wants to read about the tank is invited to click here.

The model from the house of Halinski and those who are familiar with this company know that in planning their models are most detailed and accurate ones.
In my personal opinion and by viewing other assemblies, this particular one is very accurate and very complex in its design.
IMHO, this is the most difficult model in armored vehicles, which has been released so far, with 10,000+ parts and excellent design:
everything is calculated according to the exact scale, even the thickness of armor and turrets.
Planning at an exceptional level, with great attention to those who will assemble, and it can be seen in every component ... you will see it yourself later.

The book is 1 cm thick and contains about 60 pages B4
Of course, everything is detailed on the scale of 1:25, including the engine compartment and the engine, the insides of the hull and the tower, the tracks and the rest.
Again, in my opinion, this model includes several models inside - the engine is a separate model and a work of art, a turret with all the complexity of building curved surfaces,
the body itself with all the details, suspension system (working !!!) and, of course, the tracks consisting of individual links.

In next picture, I collected most of the tools and materials with which I will work.
Of course, will be added cardboard of different thickness.
As for the sizes: due to the complexity of the design and the maintenance of the original ratio of sizes, it is not enough to use only two types of cardboard 0.5 and one millimeter.
Thickness of cardboard that required is 0.2, 0.4, 0.5, 0.7, 1.0, 1.2, 1.5 and 1.7 mm.
The same with the wire for all sorts of add-ons. Therefore, in this model, I decided to try a new method and accumulated a lot of solder wire of different diameters.
I hope that it will be easier to work with this wire due to the flexibility, even with large diameters, and ease of painting.

... I am already deep into building process, so there will be a burst of posts until current status and then I'll try to post frequently as i build each component.
Google Adsense
Old 07-10-2019, 01:35 PM

From my experience with tanks, I know that the part that you get stuck the most is the tracks.
Therefore, I decided to start with them and only after I finish, start publishing the assembly log.
I will save in secret the time of cutting, tinting and assembling those tracks and just present the stages of masochism in its implementation
Each track consists of 19 parts and it is proposed to manufacture 200 pieces,
so the number of parts required to build all the tracks is about the half of details amount of the model.

First of all we start cutting

And more cutting and more...

In addition, I was in need to prepare 400 connecting roads, and for this I've built a small device that will also serve me in the future for assembling other parts of a link.
I must admit, i honestly copied the idea for this device from David, and it is second thank you

I used office staples because of their strength and straight end, which could simply be cut to the desired length.

Then paint the edges of all the small parts and start to assemble.

At first I did one truck as an assembly check. It turned out well ... Now repeat 199 times

Old 07-10-2019, 01:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
This will be great to see how you approach it versus what Roman did with his fantastic build.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Hi Igor
as you manage to build answers famo ok you will do a great job on this.
i made the track pin to size first but when i came to use them they could of been a 1mm longer. i must get on and finish the build thread of mine for you.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:46 PM

Thank you whulsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanmodels View Post
Hi Igor
as you manage to build answers famo ok you will do a great job on this.
i made the track pin to size first but when i came to use them they could of been a 1mm longer. i must get on and finish the build thread of mine for you.
Thanks
For the size of track pin - i tried connect several and it was ok..
Hope you will find the time and strength to finish yours
Google Adsense
Old 07-10-2019, 01:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
i have finished the Sherman just need to finish the build thread.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:07 PM

And the process of assembling tracks began. Since the number is enormous, the best way to work here as Mr. Ford has bequeathed

The first step is the link shoe. Already here you can see the developer’s concern for the modeller. Instead of giving one full detail for gluing,
frame was developed, and then you glue the casing on it. This is more work, but also more durable.
Do not forget that the entire tank will stand on these tracks.

I looked at my colleague's assembly process in the german forum and also added extra reinforcement in the middle of a rigid structure to be sure that it would not bend under the pressure of the roller.
Sticking one side, second side, reinforcement and closing the top. Repeat 199 times

Then I proceed to the casing of the shoe. After bending all skins, I glued it to the frame. Repeat 199 times

At the end, I glued the sides and inserted the connecting roads. Repeat 199 times
The shoes are ready!

Old 07-11-2019, 12:14 PM

So, I continued with another part of the link, and these are feathers (teeth), or, to be exact, 400 feathers
A small confession - I did enough to connect two track together. If i need more - i will assemble on the go.

Each feather consists of 7 parts, and here I also used the method of Mr. Ford.
I used the prepared device for it.

First are the hinges

I have not yet connected the links to tracks and I will do it at the moment when I have to put them on.
Thus I will definitely know how many tracks I need to connect. Also, parts take up less space and are more convenient for storage.

hen I started assembling the feather on the device.
It fixes the part, and also gives the correct angle and base for gluing the sidewalls and hinges.

Here's a little gif of build process.
Repeat 310+ times

Feathers ready

Old 07-11-2019, 03:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Ahhh, how many cuts, how many pieces, how many repetitions. And how much patience you have to have. Igor's great job.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:54 AM

Thank you Vinalssergio155
Yes, it is a lot and you must be strong and very patient. But good music and a bottle of beer help a lot

Finally, I got to build something that is not repeated a few hundred times :-D and this is the lower hull

I was so glad and carried away that I built everything in one breath, and completely forgot to take pictures.
So there are only final photos of the hull assembly.
As I expected, design is accurate, and if you also be careful in cutting, assembling and gluing, everything fits perfectly.
Basically this is a sandwich of several skins and a power frame
Even though this is only a part of the hull, everything is firm and steady.

In the back was an interesting moment. Since the inner and outer walls were rounded in a different radius,
the sandwich had to be assembled in a certain order, aligned along the opening of the engine compartment.
But the drawings were clear and everything was easy.

The walls of the rear openings of the engine room are thick, so there is also a colored strip glued to cover the edges.
By the way, all the dirt you see is the original design and print. The model is printed with wear and dirt and it embellishes it even more!

Google Adsense