PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 09-21-2021, 02:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks Isaac.

Took a little break between stages. The reason was that in instructions it's suggested to use BCG glue for gluing turret. So i ordered and waited for it to be delivered.
And I'm glad i did.
I was in need to glue a lot of petals and parts by edge and did it with ease with this glue. Compared to others that i have, BCG doesn't add layer between paper like super glue gel or white glue do. It glues faster than white glue, but you can reposition parts unlike with superglue. It doesn't leaves a lot of residues and hairs like UHU glue do. After drying the parts still remains flexible, unlike with superglue. And if you want to fix, you can easily take parts apart without damaging them.

So back to assembling. I was dealing with parts that need to be assembled like curved shapes in three dimension. This can be achieved by curving and gluing petals. But whole inner casing must be glued without any support and you need to plan steps forward to glue it right.

First of all i curved and glued all parts separately.

Then i started with simplest rear right part. This gave me starting point

Next front right part was glued to the roof edge only

And then to front main part

Last to rear right part and right side was done

Left was more trickier and i made a mistake. I decided to glue front part first to front main part and than to add little upper rear part. But then i noticed that i'm trying to fit it by cutting and adjusting. This pointed on mistake in position of whole left side. Luckily there was a spare one, so i disassembled whole side and started to glue from little rear part that can be positioned by white mark for antenna from inside. And lastly i glued front part.

Final step was to glue rear bottom curve that consisted of four parts

Inner casing is ready. Everything was glued by edges only. Still amazes me how plane paper can transform to any shape you want, with right design. You just hold this curved in all corners casing and realise that it is only paper.

I must point out that you must be very prices and patient, because if you start to trim and adjust parts - it is a sign for mistake.

Also, i didn't mentioned it until now, but there are a lot of spare parts scattered all over the book to help you deal with hard steps like this. I've already used a lot of tiny spare parts instead of ones that were lost in process and for the first time fixed mistake with spare part. (There is a whole spare set of inner casing )
Old 09-22-2021, 01:55 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Igor, thank you firstly for all the build photos and the description. I know what a chore it is to keep stopping and taking photos as you go!

You did a superb job. I would have worrying about the outer skins fitting after finishing the inside.

Lastly, your comments about the glue are interesting. It is not available here and mail order from overseas is too expensive. But I got to thinking - I have seen similar glues here. Could you look please and see if the tube says what the glue is made of and take a photo for me. It may be available under a different name here.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
The fantastic build continues - edge gluing 😬😬😬
Old 09-22-2021, 04:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Yes Igor, the transformation from 2D to 3D is amazing, it never fails to fascinate and one of the things I find extremely attractive about paper modeling. Edge gluing is a skill by itself and man, you possess it! Never heard of this type of glue before, will keep it in mind. Very interesting to note the process you have followed, thanks for sharing it step by step.

Regards,
Erik
Old 09-22-2021, 09:06 AM

Thanks pals
I also forgot to mention that, as you see on pictures, i didn't cut out openings until i assembled everything. The reason was to preserve structure stiffness. I just made cuts like dashed line for easy trimming later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Could you look please and see if the tube says what the glue is made of and take a photo for me. It may be available under a different name here.
I'm sorry Kevin, but there is no composition description on tube itself and it came without package.

I'll pm you a link to Orlik site where i ordered from. You can check what is a delivery cost to your country. It was not so expensive shipping to Israel.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Good work on the inside skin Igor.

Old 09-22-2021, 02:34 PM
Eternal Member

Thank you Igor - appreciated. I will see if I can track the ingredients down.

Incidentally the problem with trying to order stuff for here is that the postal services have collapsed. This means only courier services can be used and these are far too expensive.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Spectacular work Igor.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:11 AM

Thanks Sergio and David

After i assembled inner skin i moved to power structure.

I know that there is a laser set for this, but i wanted to keep with my challenge and cut it myself.

Thin breakable parts were strengthened with glue.
A lot of parts must suggest curved edges. So i gently cut corners with art knife and then sanded them with P360 sand paper.

First step was to glue three big parts at front, on top and at rear and connect with beams. You can position those by openings and it is a good starting point.

Next i glued left side, starting from horizontal beams and then vertical ones.

Then the other side and bottom rear parts and power structure was ready.
Little by little shape was lined up and final bottom ring put it in to correct place and strengthened it finally.

I must admit this was most complex power structure i ever assembled, but the design was right and there were no real issues.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:58 AM
Eternal Member

Wow!

I am speechless!

What an amazing build. Very complex but you really pulled it off. Great skill!

And thanks for all the great pics too!

Brilliant modelling!!!!

(PS - You know last month was your 2 year anniversary on this model?).

Last edited by Kevin WS; 10-03-2021 at 09:44 AM.
Google Adsense