PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 07-23-2019, 08:33 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Good point cfuruti, my words were simplistic. The Panther is a good example of concave/convex wheels on the same vehicle, so in that case extra extra care must be taken during assembly. I'm not sure how receptive R&P are to shared recolors, sidewinder. I'll see what I can find out. Sergio, the rest of that M55 came out so great that it would be worth the time to print out new outer wheel discs (even on regular weight printer paper), and glue them on. But, if you're like me, once a model is finished and on the shelf, it stays on the shelf. Don, I agree wholeheartedly on the Covenanter. World of Tanks has skins for it, so perhaps they'll turn it into paper someday.

The tracks were quick. Simple folded over strips. I often like to make individual links, but these were just too small, so I simply scored each link before cutting out the doubled strip. Besides making the track appear a bit more 3D, scoring makes it very easy to roll the track around the sprockets and idlers too. It makes the strip more flexible, so building in a realistic sag over the return rollers is easier. I start gluing the track on the bottom, right on the center of a road wheel, and worked my around. The kit track was a perfect length on the right side, but on the left side I had to add about a link and a half. Tiny variations in the placement of each wheel and return roller sag certainly add up.

To my eye, a major weakness in almost all paper model tanks is the tracks. In scales smaller than 1/25, track guides are rarely found, and all tanks have 'em. In all scales, (with the exception of laser cut cardboard links) the kit tracks are usually just too thin to be realistic. Even on this little Crusader, a 2 layer thick track looks thin to me, and wish I had sandwiched in another piece of card stock.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics. Fenders go on next.
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 Comet I cruiser tank-cometi.jpg   1/72 Comet I cruiser tank-cometj.jpg  
Old 07-23-2019, 08:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I see your point about the thinness of the tracks, but the suspension still looks terrific to my eye.

Don
Old 07-23-2019, 02:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
nice an clean build love it good job so far
Old 07-24-2019, 07:28 AM

Thanks, Don and Rifleman. The kit fenders were white on the inside, and only 1 layer thick, so I doubled them up with another layer of card stock that was colored with a darker shade of green. You don't really notice it, which was the intention. I think if I left the inside of the fenders white though, it would stick out like a sore thumb.

After scoring, I cut the doubled fender part away. I know from experience, that when folding over a doubled part like this, the inner layer of paper will creep out beyond the end of the cut, so I angled the blade at about 45 degrees when making my edge cuts so that the inner layer winds up being flush after the part is folded over. I edge glued the fender directly to the hull. The stowage boxes and air vents went on next, and really solidified the whole assembly. It's really starting to look like a Comet now.

The hull is completed. All that's left now is the turret. Stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 Comet I cruiser tank-cometk.jpg   1/72 Comet I cruiser tank-cometl.jpg   1/72 Comet I cruiser tank-cometm.jpg  
Old 07-24-2019, 08:35 AM

Excellent. The image taken from the starboard bow is very impressive.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 07-24-2019, 05:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Yes, excellent, extremely clean and precise.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 317.47 MB
So far, that Comet looks amazing. Especially in 1/72.
Great work.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:11 PM

Thanks Don, Sergio and Kacper.

The turret is complete, but I was so excited I glued it to the tank before taking photos of it by itself. Sorry about that. The assembly of the turret was very straight forward, with no issues to report. I did add a score where none was needed, however. You can see it in the photos, running vertically right through the center of "Ben-Hur". The Comet's gun mantlet is a flowing and complicated cast shape, and designer Michel Tichy did what he could, but it's pretty near impossible to pull off convincingly in paper in such a small scale. I tried to help it along with some painted-in highlights and shadows.

The Comet's 17 pounder main gun has a very distinct rounded muzzle brake, and the R&P kit cannon was just a rolled tube with an extra ring of paper at the end. That wasn't gonna cut it. Luckily, I have a 1/25 scale M10 Achilles that I downloaded years ago from a now defunct blog. I copied the cannon parts from this kit, and resized/recolored them appropriately. I printed these new main gun parts on regular weight printer paper. The 4 piece muzzle break went together well, all edge glued. A sanded down length of paper Q-Tip shaft serves as the core of the gun, so it's plenty strong.

So, the tank itself is done, but I have a cool idea for the display base, so I'll paste final pics when the entire piece is finished.
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 Comet I cruiser tank-cometn.jpg   1/72 Comet I cruiser tank-cometo.jpg   1/72 Comet I cruiser tank-cometp.jpg   1/72 Comet I cruiser tank-cometq.jpg   1/72 Comet I cruiser tank-cometr.jpg  

1/72 Comet I cruiser tank-comets.jpg  
Old 07-26-2019, 01:21 PM

Great work. Thanks for the info on your modifications and methodologies.

Don
Old 07-26-2019, 02:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
that's cracking build for 1/72 the 17 pounder looks good all round dam fine build well done
Google Adsense