PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 08-23-2019, 08:02 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
CV.33 Girls und Panzer

Here we have the second of the "Official" Girls und Panzer paper tanks downloaded directly from the fan site. Originally released in 1/24, I resized it to 1/35 to match the scale of Type 89 I-Go that I built earlier. I made no other adjustments to the model.

Based on the prominent dashed lines, I assume the model was originally rendered using Pepakura, and then converted to a PDF file. The I-Go had the same dashed lines, but they weren't so visible. Unfortunately they really pop on the desert yellow CV.33. Another weird distortion that you sometimes get with Pepakura skins that are taken from screen captures, etc. Is that some features may be replicated on multiple faces. For instance, when viewing the model from the front, the headlights appear as simple round discs on the vertical face. When viewed from above, however, the entire headlight housings are duplicated in 2D on the horizontal face.

The 10 piece model is simple and easy to build. It's also very well designed, and assembly was trouble free - everything fit together perfectly. The pictorial instructions are excellent. The machine guns are normally just one layer of paper thick, but I laminated mine to 1mm cardboard. I may lop them off and make new ones from small diameter dowels for a better look.

In the anime, CV.33 tankettes are fielded by the Anzio Girls High School team. It's a poor school that spends a large part of it's budget on festivals and parties. The school's emblem is a stylized pizza, and the girls have nicknames like Pepperoni, Anchovy, and Carpaccio. Not very PC, but it's all in good fun. There's no outrage over stereotyping Europeans, after all.

I'd like to have a grouping of at least three GuP tanks to display at the IPMC in October. The final model at the fan site is an ARL-44 fielded by the BC Freedom High School, a French girl's school. To represent the school, I may recolor/resize one of Wayne McCullough's FT-17's instead. It would be more in line with the vintage and size of the two GuP models I've already built. We'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
CV.33 Girls und Panzer-cv33a.jpg   CV.33 Girls und Panzer-cv33b.jpg   CV.33 Girls und Panzer-cv33c.jpg   CV.33 Girls und Panzer-cv33d.jpg   CV.33 Girls und Panzer-cv33e.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 08-23-2019, 09:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Hi, Don, Thanks for the review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
Based on the prominent dashed lines, I assume the model was originally rendered using Pepakura, and then converted to a PDF file.
I thought of Pepakura when I saw the bluish 3D renders in the instructions. BTW you did such a nice job of showing how the finished model really looks like, folding lines and all, since the official page has no photos.
Quote:
The I-Go had the same dashed lines, but they weren't so visible. Unfortunately they really pop on the desert yellow CV.33.
I didn't open the PDF on an editor to check whether the fold lines are easily removable dashed vectors or bunches of small dashes or, worse still, embedded in the textures, but perhaps in this case a paintbrush would be a more effective tool to get rid of them.
Quote:
In the anime, CV.33 tankettes are fielded by the Anzio Girls High School team. It's a poor school that spends a large part of it's budget on festivals and parties. The school's emblem is a stylized pizza, and the girls have nicknames like Pepperoni, Anchovy, and Carpaccio. Not very PC, but it's all in good fun. There's no outrage over stereotyping Europeans, after all.
Stereotyping is indirect: in-universe, all GuP characters are Japanese with "real" Japanese names, since the schools are not foreign but inspired by (stereotyped) foreign ideals. IIRC the last OVA, starring a swarm of CV.33s, mentions they do festivals in part to raise funding.
Quote:
I...To represent the school, I may recolor/resize one of Wayne McCullough's FT-17's instead. It would be more in line with the vintage and size of the two GuP models I've already built. We'll see.
Or maybe a lazylife SOMUA S35. Anyway, pictures please.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:30 PM

Thanks for your comments, cfuruti. If the model was a bit more detailed with a 3D suspension, etc, I would have taken the time to overdraw the dashed lines with slightly wider solid lines in a lighter shade of desert yellow. The lines would have been all but invisible after scoring and folding.

I decided to go with a 1/48 white version of Wayne's FT17, which I will enlarge to 1/35 and texturize. Even though Wayne's model includes an optional 3D suspension, I will go with the 2D one so that the finished model will mimic the two GuP tanks I've already built.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Interesting series of models. I look forward to seeing them in Sterling in October.

Don
Old 08-28-2019, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Beautiful work Don. A magnificent example of how a well-constructed "simple" model becomes a great piece of modeling. Very well done Don!
Google Adsense
Old 08-29-2019, 06:27 AM

Thanks Sergio, it really is a pretty nice little kit, and it was a quick, easy, and trouble free build. For anyone interested, here is the link for the official Japanese Girls und Panzer "giveout" page where all three (ARL 44, CV.33, I-Go) models can be found: ガールズ&パンツァー(GIRLS und PANZER)|配布