PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 01-21-2020, 08:46 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Chibi/SD M3 Lee

I've completed the second model on my New Year's resolution list of partially built models. The M3 Lee by Tonton.

Originally a white PDO kit, I converted it into a PDF, and colored/textured it as a cartoon version of "Lulubelle", the real star of the movie Sahara. (the 1943 version, featuring Humphrey Bogart, not the 1995 remake featuring Jim Belushi - that one had totally different livery).

I first printed the model at normal scale and realized pretty quickly that Lulubelle was barely readable, so I enlarged it to "handful" scale so there would be no mistaking what tank it was supposed to be. My previous SD tank builds from Tonton were much smaller, and didn't need any strengthening, but this one has a lot of internal cardboard lamination to keep everything straight and true. In the movie, Lulubelle has a box for extra track links on the forward hull, so I added one accordingly. I did a lot of layering for a better look. I forgot to include extra hinges for the commander's hatch, but I wasn't going to waste a whole sheet of paper for these little bits. The next time I have to print something substantial on card stock, I'll be sure to include them and add them to the model.

A question for the group - in the movie, Lulubelle has a tall antenna topped with pennants (to better find it in those crowded north African parking lots, no doubt). I would like to add them, but I have no idea about the colors - does anyone have any thoughts on that?
Attached Thumbnails
Chibi/SD M3 Lee-chibileea.jpg   Chibi/SD M3 Lee-chibileeb.jpg   Chibi/SD M3 Lee-chibileec.jpg   Chibi/SD M3 Lee-chibileed.jpg   Chibi/SD M3 Lee-chibileee.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 01-21-2020, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
It turned out quite well...