PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 02-20-2020, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Pzkpfw III G GPM 6-2003

I am a little uncomfortable here, posting an armor build with people who actually KNOW these vehicles. However, I needed something to break my block and get me to work my fingers again.

This build was started over a year ago in August 2018. In the Fall of that year I got a big sinovial cyst on my right middle finger and couldn't work anymore. After surgery nine months ago I have started looking at it again.

This kit dates back to the pre-computermodeling era with hand drawn outlines and coloring. Instructions are of the classic Polish kit sort: "Attach 2,3,4,5-22 to A-1 and A-2." And the drawings don't clarify many things. An easy example is whether the body slabs fit inside of each other, corner-to-corner or should they be chamfered? One must find out by doing!

On my copy, some of the pieces near the edge of one page did not get printed or colored. No biggy since I just scanned the similar parts and duped them.

Along the way, some of the parts suffered from a small amount of water damage and an large amount of wine damage. We adopted some new, very healthy and vigorous kitties in early 2016 and they have carried out a war against my models ever since. The JagdPanther that I also started work on suffered even more damage.

In any case I have managed to get a new copy of the Pzkpfw kit so that I can avoid the need to use moisture compromised parts - they don't bend or roll properly and often delaminate immediately.

At the end of my work on the Mk III I had reached the turret and found that, as cut, the side armor does not wrap around the 1 mm thick turret base without leaving a hefty gap. With my finger wrecked and being weary of issues like this, I put the wheels and tracks on (note that the tracks need weathering; their black appearance is transitional) to give some stability to the parts and avoid losing things.

I have a couple photos to attach. I bought a new inexpensive digital camera today and the images don't look too bad if you close your eyes entirely while looking. I need to dig my old POS camera out of whatever box it is hiding in.

You can see the turret with the gap and something of the rest of the kit.

Again, apologies for the poor photos. I shot them at multiple distances with different light and camera settings and from a tripod.

Carl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUNP0003.JPG (1.26 MB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg SUNP0006.JPG (1.12 MB, 42 views)
Google Adsense
Old 02-20-2020, 07:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 33.47 MB
I give you my whole hearted support. I cut the end off my right index finger a few years ago and it took a long time before I could hold a knife again. Above all, keep modeling!
Old 02-21-2020, 03:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Looks great imho, doing a marvelous job.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:50 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
It's wonderful to see your work again. Your builds were always inspirational to me.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
looking good bear!
Google Adsense
Old 02-21-2020, 10:58 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Quote:
BTW, there is NOTHING from Magenta that the new kitties left undestroyed. The hull itself is bent, the guns were kind of eaten, a mess.
Carl

The cats didn’t get these! (pictures)
Gone, but not forgotten.
Attached Thumbnails
Pzkpfw III G GPM 6-2003-magenta.jpg  

Last edited by rickstef; 02-21-2020 at 11:09 AM.