PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 07-30-2020, 03:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Thumbs up

Thank you. The tank models look good as usual. The bonus is a nice way to display a model.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
great model guys thank you all shouldnt take much to turn it in to a grant thanks again
The Grant had a different turret - not only was the MG sub-turret deleted but the turret was wider with a bustle at the back for the radio set operated by the tank commander. The Grants had 6 crew compared to the Lee's 7 (although later the radio operator was dropped from the Lee crew). I think the conversion to a Grant is doable - I've got an old 1:25 Grant model in my stash somewhere - but it would take a bit of effort. I think most of the Grants had the shorter M2 gun, the ones sent to Australia certainly did.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 07-31-2020, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I'm sort of hoping Sexton SP gun will be made at some point.Not that I need another project but it's Canadian contribution to Allied arsenal and a good one too.

Not to mention it's a good looking SP gun with hell of a punch.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
I'm sort of hoping Sexton SP gun will be made at some point.Not that I need another project but it's Canadian contribution to Allied arsenal and a good one too.

Not to mention it's a good looking SP gun with hell of a punch.
The Sexton was criticised at the time as too much vehicle for such a small gun. The post-war Yeramba (Australian Grant plus 25 Pounder) was similarly criticised. The Sexton was an "anglicised" version of the M7 Priest - a Lee chassis with a 105mm howitzer. The M12 SPG - Lee chassis with 155mm M1918 gun had considerably more punch than a Sexton or Priest - there is at least one record of a King Tiger having the turret shot off by a direct fire round from an M12.

There are quite a number of possible models based on the Lee chassis.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 08-01-2020, 03:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
"King Tiger having the turret shot off by a direct fire round from an M12". I'd like to see that report, fascinating stuff.
Google Adsense
Old 08-01-2020, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1158 View Post
"King Tiger having the turret shot off by a direct fire round from an M12". I'd like to see that report, fascinating stuff.
After a lot of head scratching - came up with the reference. It was in Belton Cooper's book entitled "Death Traps - The Survival of an American Armoured Division in WW2". The quote is on Page 103:

"The hauling of the gas continued at a feverish pace, spurred on by accelerated artillery fire. As Task Force Love-lady approached the junction on the road between La Gleize and Stavelot, it ran into increasing German opposition. A firefight in this area destroyed a small German convoy of three ammunition trucks and three antitank guns. The American column split into two groups, one heading eastward toward Stavelot and the other southward toward Trois Ponts. Just north of Trois Ponts, the group ran into a heavy armored column consisting of Panther and King Tiger tanks from the 1st SS Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler Panzer Division, considered the toughest panzer unit in the entire German army. Our lightly armored M4 Shermans didn't stand a chance against these German behemoths, and we immediately lost our four lead Sherman tanks. Task Force Lovelady withdrew slightly, established roadblocks, and called for heavy artillery fire.

In one incident, an M12 gun carriage with its 155mm GPF rifle loaded came around a bend in the road and suddenly found itself face to face with a King Tiger. Fortunately, the 155 was pointed directly at the base of the King Tiger's turret. The gun commander gave the order to fire. The 155 struck the King Tiger at the base of the gun mantlet where the turret joins the deck. The explosion ruptured the thin top deck armor and blew the turret off the tank, instantly killing the entire crew. Had the shell struck a few inches lower on the front glacis plate, it would have exploded harmlessly, and the King Tiger would have been able to drill the M12 from end to end with its high-velocity 88. Such were the fortunes of war."

Charlie
Old 08-01-2020, 04:32 AM

If anyone is interested in an M12 SPG conversion of the WoT M3 Lee there is a 1:48 GPF gun model on Landships II. The GPF barrel and receiver were carried in a cylindrical mounting - in the M12 this was mounted on a circular plinth on the floor of the fighting compartment. As far as I can tell the GPF gun wasn't modified for use in the M12.

Charlie
Old 08-01-2020, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Thanks very much, Charlie. Much appreciated. As an ex tank gunner these, these events fascinate me, a bit like the Soviet use of the IS-2 in the anti-tank role. If you hit it, it will NOT be much use for a while.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
The length of the guns looks a bit strange - the hull 75mm seems too long and the turret 37mm too short.
Probably not the most obvious photo angle for showing a Lee with the longer 75, but here one is,
https://tankandafvnews.com/2016/12/2...from-a-m3-lee/
Quote:
US Sgt. Hiram E. Prouty (20344717) of US 175th Infantry Regiment, 29th Infantry Division dressed as Santa Claus arriving on a late production M3 tank (W-3,028,835) “Buccaneer” at Camp Perham Down, Wiltshire, England. December 1942
If you can find one and have a few dollars floating around loose, R. P. Hunnicutt's 1978, nearly 600 page, book, Sherman: A History of the American Medium, has a thorough look at the M3 Lee/Grant.
It went through an evolution as did its 'offspring' the M4 Sherman.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:07 AM

According to Hunnicutt the M3 gun didn't appear until late in the production run and even then wasn't fitted to all the late production tanks. The M3A4s with the Chrysler multi-bank engine were all fitted with the M3 gun but there were only about 110 of those.

Charlie
Google Adsense