PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 07-26-2020, 09:23 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
1/50 "Tiznao" armored tractor

This is the 2nd Spanish Civil War armored tractor designed by Jesus M Lopez Bea (can be downloaded at Landships II site). Originally in 1/72 scale, I enlarged it to my favorite armor scale of 1/50, and did some recoloring. Sr Bea modeled it after a photo of the actual vehicle.

"Tiznao" was the slang term used to describe the improvised armored vehicles used by both sides in the SCW. This one was built over a Benach fully tracked tractor. Based on the slogans painted all over the vehicle, it was a Nationalist war prize, captured in Aznalcollar by the F.E. (Falange Espanola), the Fascist Spanish political party founded by Jose Antonio Primo Rivera. Unfortunately, there are no photos of the left side, so any slogans are pure guess work. I figured I couldn't go too far afield with "Viva Franco". I'm sure that before its capture, the vehicle was covered with the usual Republican affiliations - FAI, UHP, CNP, etc.

There is an earlier thread on this model by CharlieC Armoured Tractor No 1 1936
Charlie had some issues with the undercarriage, which I didn't find troublesome. I did, however, have to redesign one of the front triangular pieces on each side so that the top diamond shaped piece would fit properly. Apparently, Charlie didn't have a problem with that part of the assembly, so we're even, LOL. One thing that we both had issues with is the tracks. They are about 3/4 of a link short and, as designed, have grousers at every other link except where the strip joins. I put grousers on every link, and left the gap at the top where it wouldn't be seen.

All-in-all, it was a fun build, and a nice addition to my SCW collection.
Attached Thumbnails
1/50 "Tiznao" armored tractor-tiznao-34.jpg   1/50 "Tiznao" armored tractor-tiznaoa.jpg   1/50 "Tiznao" armored tractor-tiznaob.jpg   1/50 "Tiznao" armored tractor-tiznao1.jpg   1/50 "Tiznao" armored tractor-tiznao2.jpg  

1/50 "Tiznao" armored tractor-tiznao3.jpg   1/50 "Tiznao" armored tractor-tiznao4.jpg   1/50 "Tiznao" armored tractor-tiznao5.jpg   1/50 "Tiznao" armored tractor-tiznao6.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-30-2020, 12:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 317.47 MB
That's a really great work I think. Especially if we consider the issues you encountered.
The tracks in various models in scales like 1/72 or 1/50 are often a little too short and leave a gap. That's why it's good to redesign those tracks by adding more links. It's always better to make the tracks longer and later cut the excess. If the tracks are in form of stripes. If they're in form of separate links you just add more links to the original kit. Always works.
Anyway, once again, well done!
Old 07-30-2020, 03:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.91 MB
Good job Rockpaperscissor !

1:50 scale, my favorite scale too.

Strange armored vehicles appeared during this troubled time...
Regarding your "Viva Franco", it is very likely of course
Old 07-31-2020, 06:07 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Thank you, Kacper and Paskal, for your encouraging comments. The SCW is really a fascinating conflict to model. Sr Bea's (and other's) models have piqued my interest, and I've been adding to my limited knowledge of the causes and and the players. There is an excellent multi part Youtube documentary on the SCW that has helped me to understand what went on, and why. A while back I had done a recolor of Pablo Martin's 1/72 Trubia Serie A tank, and I've started working on a refined recolor and rescale to 1/50 scale to further expand my SCW collection.