PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 07-08-2020, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
How do you keep the varnish off the windows? Or do you use a varnish that doesn't cloud the transparencies?
Old 07-09-2020, 05:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Wonderful work Kacper. Something similar happens to me, I start at full speed and then it is hard to get to the end. This is why I am not convinced by the super-detailed models, I think I would never finish one.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 317.47 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
How do you keep the varnish off the windows? Or do you use a varnish that doesn't cloud the transparencies?
I apply the varnish by brush so the windows can't be clouded...
Moreover, it doesn't cloud the transparencies at all. It's an acrylic wood varnish(for the wooden elements, fences, furniture, etc.).
I use the one in the attachment but I don't think it's available in the United States. However, I'm sure you can find something similar.

And by the way, later today there will be a WIP update.
Attached Thumbnails
1/50 Hitler's Mercedes-Benz 770K (W150)-20201007.jpg  
Old 07-10-2020, 07:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Thanks. It appears to be a lacquer rather than acrylic. Is that correct?
Old 07-10-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
It appears to be a lacquer rather than acrylic. Is that correct?
Could be, but I'm not sure about that.
Anyway, I did a quick look into a US market and here's probably the closest thing to the one that I use.
I'd recommend something like this:
Attached Thumbnails
1/50 Hitler's Mercedes-Benz 770K (W150)-202077713.jpg  
Old 07-10-2020, 09:45 AM

And here's the promised update.
The underside and wheels are finished.
Just like Sergio, I'm not really a fan of those super-detailed models because probably I'd never finish them too. That's why the underside here is extremely simplified. Personally, I think it's really unnecessary to put a huge amount of work into something that is rarely seen or never seen at all.
Anyway, the project is almost completed and so far I'm really satisfied with the results. I hope it will be a nice model.
Attached Thumbnails
1/50 Hitler's Mercedes-Benz 770K (W150)-img_20200710_165538.jpg   1/50 Hitler's Mercedes-Benz 770K (W150)-img_20200710_165606.jpg   1/50 Hitler's Mercedes-Benz 770K (W150)-img_20200710_165707.jpg   1/50 Hitler's Mercedes-Benz 770K (W150)-img_20200710_165744.jpg   1/50 Hitler's Mercedes-Benz 770K (W150)-img_20200710_165842.jpg  

Old 07-10-2020, 10:52 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
This is really coming out beautifully. Will you be adding authentic license plates as in the first two pictures in this thread? How about fender flags? They would add an eye catching spot of color, and would firmly establish this as Hitler's "ride" rather than just a generic luxury Mercedes Benz.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
The only thing I have to say, very sadly is that you won't make this model available. You justy can't imagine how much I would like to have this model in my collection. Hope you change your mind. I'm sure there are thousands of modelers who want to build this model. Congratulations.
Pete.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.45 MB
Your build looks better and better each time I check your progress. Great job.

Brent
Old 07-11-2020, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petestein View Post
The only thing I have to say, very sadly is that you won't make this model available. You justy can't imagine how much I would like to have this model in my collection. Hope you change your mind. I'm sure there are thousands of modelers who want to build this model. Congratulations.
Pete.
Pete, I'd love to make this model available but simply it is impossible. And it's not about changing my mind but about my abilities. You can call me a modeler, scratchbuilder and recolorist. All three are correct. But I've never been a designer and I've never felt good at it. What I do with this Mercedes-Benz is rather a digital scratchbuilding. It has nothing to do with designing paper models. The parts I prepare in the software are often inaccurate and are later corrected with scissors and pencil. You can't build a model from the parts that I "designed".
I agree with you that thousands of modelers would love to get this model and I really can imagine what you feel. Before I started this project I was exactly in your place. I've always wanted to have the Hitler's W150 in my collection and as there were no paper models of it I just had to do it on my own. Build it from scratch.
I'm glad to hear you like my work but all I can promise is the good set of final photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
Will you be adding authentic license plates as in the first two pictures in this thread? How about fender flags? They would add an eye catching spot of color, and would firmly establish this as Hitler's "ride" rather than just a generic luxury Mercedes Benz.
Yes, this 770K will get the authentic Hitler's license plates and flags. However, the license plates won't be the same as in the first two photos. Hitler used seven W150s and every single one was slightly different from another. When I started this project I didn't know about all those differences and in the end I chose the rarest variant, completely unwittingly. So far, I've got only one photo of the car that was the inspiration for my model. I have to do some more research and try to find it's license plates.
The photo of the mentioned Hitler's 770K(W150) is in the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
1/50 Hitler's Mercedes-Benz 770K (W150)-1940mercedesbenz770k-w150-hitler.jpg  

Tags
770k, hitler, mercedes-benz, nazi, wwii