PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 01-19-2021, 10:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
GPM Panzer IV

It's been a while since I've done a proper build thread here on the forum. After finishing the Chaffee I took a short beak to spend the Holidays with family and focus on other real life obligations. Now, moving forward into the new year, I decided that it's time to build a new model, one that I have wanted to build for many years. I've had this kit in my stash for a long time, in fact it was one of the first commercial kits that I purchased back when I first started building paper models. So without any more rambling on lets get this thing started!
Here is GPM kit #237 PzKpfw IV Ausf. H

If you are not familiar with this kit, it is not lacking in detail. Like most other paper AFV kits it's published in the common 1:25 scale. The four color printing is well done with subtle weathering effects. Provided with the kit is an optional parts sheet that is printed on a heavily embossed stock that replicates the texture of Zimmerit. For a paper model it looks pretty convincing. This model also sports a fully detailed interior. With that in mind, all hatches will open and close and the turret will be removable to allow a peek at the details hidden inside the hull.

Like other tank builds, construction begins with the assembly of the hull.
The thing that makes this kit a little different is that due to the interior details, there are no extra internal frame work supports. The hull becomes stronger as the interior details are added.

So far I have the hull glued up and covered with the interior and exterior skins. Next I will begin to add some exterior details before moving back inside.

Wish me luck and enjoy the process as I do.

Happy New Year!
Attached Thumbnails
GPM Panzer IV-pict0262.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0263.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0264.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0265.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0266.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 01-20-2021, 04:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Ah, very interesting project! There you go, I wish you luck (and a lot of fun) .

Erik
Old 01-20-2021, 09:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great news on this auspicious day!

It's great to see that you have a new paper model tank under construction. I have a fondness for this particular tank since about 70 years ago, when I was in the hospital having my appendix removed, my parents gave me a 1/108 Authenticast PzKw IV, which I still have.

This build will be a great treat, and I hope that I will see it in person, either when you and I finally get to meet again at the Cafe Bruges or at one of the paper modelers' events.

Best wishes on this build!

Don
Old 01-20-2021, 10:04 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I am very much looking forward to looking over your shoulder as you tackle this one Kevin. I know I will learn a lot.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
If you don't mind I'll pull up a chair and look over your shoulder.

There is a error in the kit. The parts are correct but the assembly instructions are incorrect. The exhaust system should be rotated 180 degrees on the mufflers axis, the two pipes are the input to the muffler and the output is only one pipe. I don't remember any other issues with the model and GPM may have corrected this error in the later printings of the model.

Jim Nunn
Old 01-20-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nunn View Post
If you don't mind I'll pull up a chair and look over your shoulder.

There is a error in the kit. The parts are correct but the assembly instructions are incorrect. The exhaust system should be rotated 180 degrees on the mufflers axis, the two pipes are the input to the muffler and the output is only one pipe. I don't remember any other issues with the model and GPM may have corrected this error in the later printings of the model.

Jim Nunn
Thanks for the heads up Jim. I see what you are talking about. The two intake pipes will need to be relocated on my copy as well. (minor surgery)
Attached Thumbnails
GPM Panzer IV-pict0268.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0269.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0270.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0271.jpg  
Old 01-21-2021, 09:43 PM

Quick update:
The details have been added to the bottom of the hull. So far everything fits perfectly. Next I'll add some pieces to the sides of the hull then move to the interior. Stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails
GPM Panzer IV-pict0272.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0273.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0274.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0275.jpg  
Old 01-22-2021, 03:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Outstanding color match on the paper edges.

Jim Nunn
Old 01-22-2021, 09:44 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
I was pleased to see this build (something to look forward to as you progress) - a great job.

In term of the hull sides and thick pieces on the bottom, armour kits always seem to have pretty thin paper, so I assume these are laminations. However, my question is do you have to source additional card for the laminations or is all the paper necessary in the kit?
Old 01-24-2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nunn View Post
Outstanding color match on the paper edges.

Jim Nunn
Thank you Jim. I'm using an assortment of Vallejo Model Color paints for edge coloring. This specific color is 70.821 Ger. C. Beige WWII FS33303
Other Vallejo colors that match this camo scheme real well are 70.894 Cam. Olive Green RLM80 and 70.846 Mahogany Brown RAL8002.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
In term of the hull sides and thick pieces on the bottom, armour kits always seem to have pretty thin paper, so I assume these are laminations. However, my question is do you have to source additional card for the laminations or is all the paper necessary in the kit?
Kevin your assumption is correct, the model is printed on regular card stock. Many parts, including the hull, get laminated onto heavier board stock usually 0.5mm - 1.0mm in thickness. This board stock is not included with the kit. It can be sourced from many places. Arts and Craft stores sell heavy matte board in their framing department. You can also save the brown card board backers from tablets or even use the carboard box that cereal is packaged in.

Build Update:
A few details were added to both the left and right sides on the outside of the hull. These details include the gusseted supports for the idler wheels at the back of the tank. fuel caps, bumper stops for the suspension and the mounting plates for the return wheels. That's all for now. Next I will focus on the interior details. Stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails
GPM Panzer IV-pict0287.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0276.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0277.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0278.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0279.jpg  

GPM Panzer IV-pict0280.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0281.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0282.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0283.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0284.jpg  

GPM Panzer IV-pict0285.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0286.jpg  
Google Adsense