PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 10-19-2021, 06:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
1:48 Medium B tank

The Medium B tank was intended as a replacement for the Medium A Whippet which had proved to be unsatisfactory in a number of ways. It was designed by Lt. Wilson of Mark I tank and epicyclic steering fame.

Only 102 of these tanks were completed and only 45 entered service since the end of WW1 ended production. The Medium B wasn't liked since it was very cramped with the 4 man crew jammed into a forward citadel and the all machine gun armament was (finally) considered ineffective for a tank. Although there were 7 positions on the tank for Hotchkiss machine guns it was usual to carry only 3 or 4. The Ricardo engine and 4 speed epicyclic gearbox were also difficult to access and unlike the larger rhomboid tanks couldn't be accessed from inside the tank. The tank was fairly slow, 6mph (10km/hr) max. and the lack of suspension and short track length gave an unpleasant ride.

Three of these tanks were sent with the British expeditionary force to Northern Russia in 1919 and were abandoned when the British withdrew. One of these was captured by the Bolsheviks and served in the Red Army into the 1930s. The other two went to the army of the newly independent Latvia.

The Medium Bs had a short service life since the Medium C tank was a much better tank to operate.

The image was taken at Dollis Hill (now Gladstone Park), Northwest London - this was one of the main tank testing grounds during and after WW1. If you look closely in the background of the image the Mark IX Amphibian is on the left of the image - that vehicle was tested in 1918 on the reservoir which is close to Dollis Hill.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
1:48 Medium B tank-medium_b_0.jpg  

Last edited by CharlieC; 10-19-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 10-19-2021, 06:37 PM

The Medium B tank model is available on Landships II and was designed by Wayne McCullough. It's a reasonably challenging model with many small parts.
I'm not sure the design of the internal structure of the track frames works. It's in four disconnected pieces and I found even after I tried to keep the track frames straight they were still slightly bent. Wayne's older method of a single internal frame seems to work better. I gave up on the towing rings on the outside of the track frames and just made them out of wire - just too difficult for me in card.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
1:48 Medium B tank-medium_b_1.jpg   1:48 Medium B tank-medium_b_2.jpg   1:48 Medium B tank-medium_b_3.jpg   1:48 Medium B tank-medium_b_4.jpg  

Last edited by CharlieC; 10-19-2021 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:39 PM

More images

I'm debating whether to build the Medium C model now.

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
1:48 Medium B tank-medium_b_5.jpg   1:48 Medium B tank-medium_b_6.jpg   1:48 Medium B tank-medium_b_7.jpg  
Old 10-20-2021, 12:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
thats a cracking build sir you should go for the medium c would look good side by side
Old 10-20-2021, 05:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is a real beauty, Charlie! I'm glad to see that Wayne has added another late WWI/Interwar tank.

Wayne's instructions are a work of art in and of themselves, and I like the addition of photographs of some parts of the build.

I look forward to trying this one, but am still working on the Mk VIII and should continue to concentrate for while on U.S. Army Interwar vehicles. And I am intimidated by the track plates.

Am looking for a source of 0.06" tubing.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 10-20-2021, 07:20 PM

Thank you for the praise.

Don - 0.06" (or 1.5mm) tubing - what for? If it's for exhaust pipes then the plastic insulation in 3-core electrical cable is pretty close to 1.5mm diameter.

The Medium B model has been on Landships II for a while (2019) - only finally got around to building it.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 10-21-2021, 04:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
A brilliant result. This ex tanker likes it a lot.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks, Charlie. Somehow, I had not paid the model sufficient attention in the past, but now have downloaded it.

The tubing is indeed for exhaust pipes, although for my Mk VIII currently under construction I am using the parts provided in the kit.

Don