PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 10-27-2021, 05:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
1:48 Medium C tank

The Medium Mark C tank was another replacement for the Mark A Whippet and its development by Fosters in Lincoln, headed by Sir William Tritton. Design was initiated in April 1918 after it was revealed that Wilson, working with Metropolitan Carriage in Birmingham, was designing a Mark A replacement (the Medium Mark B).
The Fosters design was larger than the Medium B and could fit a full size 6 cylinder Ricardo engine - this made the Medium C faster (8 mph max.) and more capable in bad conditions.
The tank had a crew of 4, all in the forward citadel. Normally 3 or 4 Hotchkiss machine guns were carried and like the Mark A and Mark B these could be moved around between a number of firing ports. The crews generally liked the Medium C since it was comfortable to operate and the ergonomics weren't as bad as the earlier tanks.
Only 50 Medium Cs were built, the end of WW1 stopping production. The tank was never deployed outside the UK and it stayed in service until the mid-20s when it was replaced by the Vickers Mark I tank.

The images are from a series taken during the trials of the Medium Mark C in August 1918.
Attached Thumbnails
1:48 Medium C tank-mark_c_4.jpg   1:48 Medium C tank-mark_c_5.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-27-2021, 05:48 PM

The model was designed by Wayne McCullough in 1:48 scale. There are two versions available on Landships II - a generic one and a Royal Armoured Corps tank - I built the RAC model.

The model is not a simple build and requires a lot of care to make sure the various components match up and are square. The citadel at the front, I found, was very tricky to get right and the one on the model is my second attempt and it's not quite right. I found I had to add 0.5mm reinforcing strips around the edges of the parts which fit onto the hull. It may have been the humid weather where I live but I had problems with the parts deforming when I tried to fit them. There were a few parts which are so tiny I found that the card was tearing rather than cutting because the card was softened by the humidity. I put my struggles with the instructions down to advancing senility.

Just as an experiment I made a small (0.7mm) diameter punch from the needle of an ink refill bottle and stuck the small disks onto the tracks to indicate the rivets on the original track elements. I'm not sure the effect was worth it - cutting out many tiny disks and gluing them on was not a fun activity.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
1:48 Medium C tank-medium_c_1.jpg   1:48 Medium C tank-medium_c_2.jpg   1:48 Medium C tank-medium_c_3.jpg   1:48 Medium C tank-medium_c_4.jpg   1:48 Medium C tank-medium_c_5.jpg  

Old 10-27-2021, 05:49 PM

Some more images

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
1:48 Medium C tank-medium_c_10_above.jpg   1:48 Medium C tank-medium_c_11_above.jpg  
Old 10-27-2021, 05:54 PM

The Medium Mark C was quite a big tank - it was nearly as long as a Mark I rhomboid tank. I had a 1:50 Mark I lying around so took some images of it alongside the Medium C. Also did some comparison images with the 1:48 Medium B model.

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
1:48 Medium C tank-medium_c_6.jpg   1:48 Medium C tank-medium_c_7.jpg   1:48 Medium C tank-medium_c_8.jpg   1:48 Medium C tank-medium_c_9.jpg  
Old 10-27-2021, 06:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The models really help visualize the similarities and differences among these tanks.

They are good-looking models, too.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 10-28-2021, 02:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
You have produced some great tanks there, especially in the scale they are in, thanks for showing us the results.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:00 AM

Thank you.

I'm tempted to build the remaining British Medium tanks. I've got a Vickers Medium Mark II in my bookcase (the Landships II one) but World of Tanks has the earlier Vickers Medium Mark I. There's a Wayne McCullough Medium Mark A Whippet on Landships II but I'm tempted to try something a bit more challenging... Modelik published a Mark A Whippet in 2004 in 1:25 scale. You don't see many builds of it because it's a bit over the top. It's also a strange green colour and represents a tank sent to Ireland in 1919. Might be interesting to go for a rescale and colour change to a WW1 tank.

Just as an aside - if you are looking for authentic numbers, names and histories of British WW1 tanks the website - landships
is a great resource.

As another aside the tank name on the Modelik model is "Fanny Adams" - I presume the publishers didn't know the origin of that name. 8yr old Fanny Adams was the victim of murderous paedophile in 1867 - the murder was quite shocking to Victorian society and the name of the victim persisted for many years in slang expressions. I suspect today's "woke" would find it all too hard.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 10-28-2021, 10:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I applaud your possible future project of building the British Interwar medium tanks. I continue to make very slow progress on my own project of building WWI and Interwar U.S. Army tanks and armored cars.

Incidentally, David A. Kimbrell has an article in the current issue of the IPMS Journal (July+August 2021, pp46-52) about his 1:35 model (kitbashed Tacom) of a Whippet (A378 "Golikell") of B. Company, 17th A/C Battalion, Tank Corps, in Ireland in the early 20s. Kimball chose to paint his model in khaki drab rather than bronze green to match the Whippet preserved at the Tank Museum.

I was surprised to know that there was an actual person named Sweet Fannie Adams. Having served with Commonwealth military on several occasions, I had heard the term, usually as "Sweet F.A." meaning "nothing much" ("Any guidance from Headquarters? "Sweet F.A.") and assumed it was rhyming slang for a rude expression of which the second word was "all."

Tomorrow, I am off to the IPMC with my Mk VIII in whatever state of completion it may be, as well as my own FG 1/32 Whippet, a 1/32 FG Renault FT, Roman's Ford Three Ton in 1/32, and my 1/32 version of Wayne's USMC Six Ton.

Cheers,

Don
Attached Thumbnails
1:48 Medium C tank-david_a_kimbrell_whippet_tank_model_ipms_journal_jul-aug_21_p46.jpg   1:48 Medium C tank-david_a_kimbrell_whippet_tank_model_ipms_journal_jul-aug_21_p52.jpg  
Old 10-28-2021, 02:24 PM

In the words of the immortal Baldrick from Black Adder - "I have a cunning plan" - more later if it works out otherwise I'll deny existence of such a plan like an Australian politician denying reality.

Khaki Drab for a Whippet doesn't sound like a bad choice. Bronze Green wasn't enforced as a standard until the late 1920s. Smarter people than me have commented that British Army armour after WW1 was hodge podge of different colours.

Apparently poor Fanny Adams was the origin of the expression. Just to add to the revulsion at about this time the lower decks at Portsmouth were in dispute with the naval hierarchy about the quality of their rations. One particularly nasty tinned meat was called "the baby's head" for many years by the sailors indicating a possible source of the meat used.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 10-29-2021, 03:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post

I was surprised to know that there was an actual person named Sweet Fannie Adams. Having served with Commonwealth military on several occasions, I had heard the term, usually as "Sweet F.A." meaning "nothing much" ("Any guidance from Headquarters? "Sweet F.A.") and assumed it was rhyming slang for a rude expression of which the second word was "all."

Don
Perhaps this should whet your appetite for discovery Don

Fanny Adams - Wikipedia

Charlie, "babies heads" were a much looked forward to delicacy when I served in the Royal Navy. They were tinned steak and kidney puddings and were served cut in half. As such they did not look very appetising, but tasted divine.

Thank you for posting your inspiring builds, perhaps I will get around to completing my early and inter-war builds soon.