PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 09-25-2009, 02:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Type 5 Chi-Ri Tank - Modelik

I'm doing something I said I wouldn't do. I'm working on two paper projects at the same time.

Why?

Well, one of the projects is to be a two part review of two JSC kits that I'm trying to get published by IPMS on their website. I have the first half of this project done and submitted for review. I'll let everyone here know of the outcome when it happens. I don't want to do the second half until the first half is accepted there as I will put it on this forum as a backup plan. However, I did start the second half yesterday while staying at the ACS Hope Lodge last night preparing for testing that started Thursday and went into Friday morning, since I didn't have to do any laminating (ie. spraying smelly stuff).

Anyway here is the project I'm starting for my next build thread here. It is Modelik's 1/25 Type 5 Chi-Ri Tank. From what I can determine, this is a prototype design that never went beyond one prototype tank built in May 1945 due to man power and resource issues. It's intent seemed to be meant as a counter to the Sherman and would have been classed as a medium sized tank.

I'm sure some of the armor experts on this forum can shed better, more accurate info on it than I, so have at it guys.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Type 5 Chi-Ri Tank - Modelik-dscn1271.jpg  
Old 09-25-2009, 02:51 PM

One other thing on this project concerning the tracks. They are provided as band tracks that are supposed to be laminated onto 1 mm card. Since I don't think I can bend these and retain a nice look, I may build these a little differently and cut some or all of the links on the outside to improve flexibility and appearance at the same time.

Greg
Old 09-25-2009, 03:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Looking forward to this build. Modelik produce some nice kits.

Tim
Old 09-25-2009, 03:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm always glad to see another Modelperry build and, of course, I am delighted to see a Japanese armored vehicle being modeled.

I wonder if anyone (Charlie C?) knows which WWII Japanese tanks are available as paper models? In addition to this Type 5 Chi-Ri, I know of the:

WAK Type 94 tankette, WAK Type 94 TK tankette;

ModelHobby Type 97 Shinhoto, My Shinhoto Chi-Ha 1:25 ModelHobby build

Model Hobby Type 97 Chi-Ha, GPM - modele kartonowe

MM Type 1 Chi-He, Type 1 Chi-He - MM [by struna]
GPM - modele kartonowe

Is there a Type 95 Ha-Go out there?

And how about the ugly old Type 89 in its various permutations?

Don
Old 09-25-2009, 06:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Couple of answers....

The Chi-Ri was a follow on design from the Chi-Nu incorporating some of the design elements of the German Panther - it was designed to use Japanese versions of the German 75mm and 88mm guns. The definitive counter to the Sherman was the Chi-Nu which did make it to production - this was a Chi-He with a new turret with a 75mm gun.

There isn't a Type 89 Yi-Go model as far as I'm aware - it would make an interesting subject but would be a hard build because the suspension was a copy of a 1920s Vickers suspension - lots of small wheels, springs and suspension arms.

GPM published a Type 95 Ha-Go model in the 90s - I think it would be hard to find now.

MM published a Ka-Mi amphibious tank (based on the Type 95). There was a recent build reported of this on this forum - looked very good - although I think that was the modeler rather than the model.

There are 2 Type 97 models quoted in your list - I think they both refer to the Model Hobby Type 97 Chi-Ha Shinhoto - AFAIK there isn't a model of the Type 97 with the original turret.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense
Old 09-25-2009, 06:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by modelperry View Post
One other thing on this project concerning the tracks. They are provided as band tracks that are supposed to be laminated onto 1 mm card. Since I don't think I can bend these and retain a nice look, I may build these a little differently and cut some or all of the links on the outside to improve flexibility and appearance at the same time.

Greg
Look back through the armour threads for "Pz 1F tracks (resurrected)" - this technique can produce quite flexible tracks from a band track design.

regards,

Charlie
Old 09-25-2009, 08:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
I look forward to following this build Greg. I always enjoy a good tank build. I recommend checking out the thread Charlie mentioned - good looking tracks made easy.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
I know what you mean when you say that about doing two projects at one time. I sometimes get the urge to rush into my next model in the middle or almost at the beginning and sometimes it comes up with disaster. I now try to stay to one subject until I am almost at the last stage of the build and then start planning for my next one. Good luck on multi tasking.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Dear Greg,

Looking forward to seeing this model! There is more information on this tank on the Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_5_Chi-Ri

Will you use laser cut parts for the frames, wheels, and tracks?

Good luck for the new project,

Matthias
Old 09-26-2009, 01:13 AM

Thanks for filling in the history guys! I knew you could do it!:D

To answer the question on laser parts, no not on this one. I'm doing it the old fashion way. Here is one piece that I've deviated on a small bit. The frame piece has markings that can be cut out to add detail and depth to the top grill openings. My brain said this would be good detail to add, my hands and sanity said otherwise, so I compromised and cut the entire sections out in four chunks. This will work to the advantage of scale realism later on anyway. The gratework of the skin will then be thinner overall giving a better scale appearance and everything should look cleaner in the end.

Oh yeah, by the way Don, I know how amazed you are at my circle cutting abilities, but I used a circle cutter on the turret mounting hole on this one.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Type 5 Chi-Ri Tank - Modelik-dscn1272.jpg   Type 5 Chi-Ri Tank - Modelik-dscn1273.jpg