PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 10-13-2010, 06:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Unhappy Fort Knox Armor Collection

Luckily I did a web search before setting off on a trip to Ft. Knox, KY, and saved myself some disappointment and a long drive to see nothing.

The armor collection at Ft Knox, Kentucky has been dispersed to sites in Pennsylvania and Georgia and elsewhere, and for the foreseeable near future, the old tanks are not longer viewable by the general public.

Apparently the same thing has been done to the museum and tanks previously at Aberdeen, Maryland.

Some of the postings about this that I found on other sites are quite interesting.

Supposedly there are private collections open to the public in Central Ohio and Indiana, so I need to do some more web searching if I want to spend part of my vacation looking at historical armor.
Google Adsense
Old 10-13-2010, 06:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Where is the private collection in Central Ohio ?

There is an excellent collection at the World War Two Victory Museum in Auburn, Indiana.

As I remember, there was only one tank but they have half-tracks, self-propelled artillery, armored cars, an 88, motorcycles, a dragon wagon, a DUKW, German trucks and staff cars, etc.

In addition, there are some old car museums nearby which have Auburns, Cords, Duesenbergs, etc.

See: WWII Victory Museum
Old 10-13-2010, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Much of the APG armor is still there, maybe two-thirds, including Leopold and the atomic cannon. Is the Patton museum armor also going to Ft. Lee? I dont know why it would go elsewhere, as the new Ordnance museum is being set up at Ft. Lee.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 60.55 MB
the Allegheny Arms and Armor museum isnt too shabby, though not very large. they do have some interesting displays and vehicles, and have some neat events sometimes also, I got to fire an MG-42 at a machine gun shoot there once :D. they also had a Quad .50 cal, but at a buck a round, it was a bit expensive...

Old 10-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
Where is the private collection in Central Ohio ?

There is an excellent collection at the World War Two Victory Museum in Auburn, Indiana.

As I remember, there was only one tank but they have half-tracks, self-propelled artillery, armored cars, an 88, motorcycles, a dragon wagon, a DUKW, German trucks and staff cars, etc.

In addition, there are some old car museums nearby which have Auburns, Cords, Duesenbergs, etc.

See: WWII Victory Museum
I live in Portage, IN which is on the south side of Lake Michigan. When the Dragon Wagon, German 88, and other goodies came into town, My oldest (who was 7 at the time) and myself drove over to the port and shot a bunch of pics and she climbed all over the vehicles.....
Google Adsense
Old 10-13-2010, 06:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Thanks for link to Allegheny Museum and collection in Auburn. I think there is also a antique car collection in Auburn? I have never been to that part of Indiana.
The places I was thinking of are in Anderson, Indiana, and there is supposed to be an armor collection near Columbus, Ohio.
If you are ever passing through Germantown, Ohio it is worth seeing if the VFW (veteransmuseumgermantown.org) post is open. They have a nice display of uniforms, letters, post cards, weapons and other artifacts, mostly WW2 but some WW1 and prior conflicts too.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Side question: There was a lot of armor sitting in an office parking lot in Ledgewood, NJ which could be seen from the Eastbound side of Interstate 80. It's been gone for over a year and I never found out who owned it and where it went. Any thoughts?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
As far as I know, the Patton museum armor is going down to Ft. Benning. The Armor school is going to be linked up side by side with the infantry school down there at Benning, and based on the website at News about the General George Patton Museum that is where the armor is going. Kind of sad...I lived there for a few years and fondly remember all the armor out front, helping out with some of the stuff in storage, etc. I visited post a few years ago and the place had changed a lot since I left in 2005, I can't imagine what the transition will be like in the years ahead. Amazing.

Doug
Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
The antique car collection in Auburn is the Auburn-Cord-Dusenberg Club Museum. One of the Mecca's for us antique/classic car fans.

Tags
ft knox museum, tank museum