PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 07-02-2010, 12:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Excellent workmanship, dessy.

Looking forward to all your designs/builds.

Terry
Old 07-02-2010, 12:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.52 MB
Gatling

does the mechanism acts as the real one, except for burning cartridges?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:23 PM

If not, here is a complete description of what I was thinking of.

Home Page
Old 07-03-2010, 06:20 AM

thanks again for all your input.
ted parkes: i am going to have to invest into one of those sketch up programmes. do they allow you to re-scale the wood grain to your own model?
Ron40: thats ok. grab what info ya can, get when ya can mate.
Alcides: thanks, you sound like me, always looking for something that will give us the greatest problems! your project is looking clean and sharp and the wood effect on the fuselage and cockpit certainly look the real thing. good work.
Renaud: sorry its only a static model. thanks for the link to the site it is very informative. never come across it before.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:14 AM

Gatling

I was joking, although this idea came to my mind some months ago, at seeing this informative site who revealed to me for the first time what was hidden inside. Since I had been interested in these machine-guns for quite a long time, I am considering the opportunity of turning one of them into a paper model, a 1/1 replica or half size and I began to draw some little things about it, the Nordenfelt 4 barrels 2.5 inches, able to throw off light bullets by means of an operating string. Would laminating thick cardstock soaked with polyurethane floor varnish would be acceptable, making the mechanism enough rigid, perhaps breakable, such as glass? I 'll try an attempt to check it. Well, I am addicted...:D
Google Adsense
Old 07-03-2010, 01:39 PM

Renaud: thats what i like to see, push the bounderies a little bit more. sounds like you have done the homework on the workings, go for it! and its a good job i did'nt see the pictures of the Nordenfelt earlier or i would have beaten you to it ha ha. nice looking machine is'nt it.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Dixie Gun Works used to offer plans for building your own real Gatling gun, scaleable to whatever caliber you wanted -- for the person with serious metalworking and lathe abilities. But considering the rate of fire, few such hobbyists would be able to afford anything beyond .22. And during the 10-round magazine limit of the 10-year "assault Weapon" ban, no homemade Gatlings made any sense. But now that that law's expired, what a blast could you have with such a toy -- especially at twilight.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Dixie Gun Works used to offer plans for building your own real Gatling gun, scaleable to whatever caliber you wanted -- for the person with serious metalworking and lathe abilities. But considering the rate of fire, few such hobbyists would be able to afford anything beyond .22. And during the 10-round magazine limit of the 10-year "assault Weapon" ban, no homemade Gatlings made any sense. But now that that law's expired, what a blast could you have with such a toy -- especially at twilight.
hi Yale
informative, i wondered why there were so many .22 home engineered versions on the net whilst i was researching this model. i had no idea of the "assault weapon" ban. if i tried to machine one up here in the UK the 'men in black' would be knocking at my door :D
Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 AM

That is a superb model Dessy and a .22 fireable version would be nice to see, but not here in the UK as you say>smile<. Two questions, if I may, how did you achieve that fantastic gold colour and do the barrels rotate when the handle is turned? I ask as I'm interesting in building automata, and this looks like a dead ringer to be one>smile< Oh yes, and are plans for it available for others to build?
Old 07-08-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc View Post
That is a superb model Dessy and a .22 fireable version would be nice to see, but not here in the UK as you say>smile<. Two questions, if I may, how did you achieve that fantastic gold colour and do the barrels rotate when the handle is turned? I ask as I'm interesting in building automata, and this looks like a dead ringer to be one>smile< Oh yes, and are plans for it available for others to build?
hi malc. nice suprise to hear from someone down in sunny cannock :D.
thanks for the interest. to answer some of of your questions the paint is nothing special just brass coloured enamel pot paint. i very rarely make models with working parts, no, its just for static display and dont have the knowledge for the fancy 3D drawing programmes about :( though it does seem a good way to go. i can't see to much of a problem in extending the centre shaft inside all the way to the rear and adding gears, crown/ worm gears would be hard to source. one idea i had was to find a grearbox and motor from maybe one of them remote control cars, adding a switch to the stand so you could let the barrels/crank handle turn on their own as part of the display, if this makes sense. would suite the mini gun better because of the high rate of spin! 12v perhaps. sorry i'm getting carried away again :D. is the link you supplied, your site?
Google Adsense