PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 10-04-2011, 05:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Poplavko-Jeffery Armoured Car

Quick build of the free model on WAK's site. I was more interested in getting the rivets looking right rather than the model itself. The rivets are embossed rather than stuck on.
I photographed the model to highlight the rivet detail.

The model is fairly easy to build - only found one error - the rear section of the hull has a central former but there is no hole in this for the rear axle. The brown colour was my printer having hissy fits - still haven't got printing from a Mac right.

Tires weren't black/grey at the start of WW1 - Goodyear started using carbon black in tires in 1915. For the Central Powers tires were a pale brown/yellow colour throughout the war - the colour of natural rubber. The colour of the tires I've used is only approximate

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Poplavko-Jeffery Armoured Car-poplavko_jeffery_1.jpg   Poplavko-Jeffery Armoured Car-poplavko_jeffery_2.jpg   Poplavko-Jeffery Armoured Car-poplavko_jeffery_3.jpg   Poplavko-Jeffery Armoured Car-poplavko_jeffery_4.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-04-2011, 05:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
What scale is it? I have the one from All From Paper downlowed but it might be nice to havr this one, too.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:50 PM

1/25 - the download is at:

Darmowe modele (click the image)

Regards,

Charlie
Old 10-05-2011, 06:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Interesting vehicle. All flat plates.

Your rivets look great, Charlie.

Don
Old 10-05-2011, 06:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Clarlie:
I'm using an old PC with a HP printer and my download comes out very Green not OD but greenie brown. I like your rivits. whos method did you use to do them? I am trying to convince myself to mix green putty and put that on. boy your right part 8 needs a notch for axle I wish you had posted this thread one week ago!
THANKS
MILES
Curently working on the wheels
Google Adsense
Old 10-05-2011, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks, will likely download that one too, I like the bigger models, If I remeber right the All From Paper ones are 1/43.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:55 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Very nice model, Charlie. My smaller "Janosik" Pop-Jeff from allfrompaper is done, I just haven't gotten around to taking any final photos yet. I'm happy to see that our 2 models agree on pretty much every detail, right down to the placement of the rivets. I can't believe how well your embossed rivets turned out - nice and tall without tearing the paper. I still wonder about that great, flat, expansive rear deck. Photos of the vehicle in the field never show anything stored on it, and I believe only the Janosik photo hints that there may have been a storage hatch on at least some of the vehicles - perhaps a field modification. I like your choice of tire color better than mine, which are grey. Great job!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Nice build. I really like the embossed rivets. You got some good height on them. I may have to give this one a try while I await AirDave's Autocar Armoured Car.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:25 PM

I was curious enough about the Poplavko design to find an image of the Jeffery truck and overlay the images. It looks as if Poplavko used the original chassis and running gear and wrapped armour plate around the chassis.
The cab of the armoured car must have been very cramped inside - it's not much larger than the original driver's position on the Jeffery truck and had a gunner(s) and two Maxim guns plus ammunition.

I mentioned the Poplavko-Jeffery model was mostly an essay in making rivets - a while ago I bought one of those MicroMark embossers when it was heavily discounted and the $A/$US was favourable. There's a fair learning curve with this tool but I think I'm starting to get it. One of the things that works is to fill in the rivet impression with acrylic varnish with a fine (00) brush. If the surface tears, as it sometimes does, then touching up the rivet with edge colour acrylic works well because the rivet has been pressed to the correct shape. My next project is the Orel T-18 tank which has masses of rivets. This looks to have been designed by Alex Horsh of KV-2 fame (papermodels-bg) so it should go together well.

Regards,

Charlie

Last edited by CharlieC; 10-05-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Charlie,

It couldn’t have been that quick of a build with all of those outstanding rivets. They make this simple model a stand out.

Jim