PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 08-12-2011, 10:12 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Jeffery Poplavko repaint

My Russo-Balt armored car build is nearly done, and I'm enjoying it so much, I decided to do another WWI armored car. I'm going to repaint the Jeffery Poplavko from the allfrompaper site as the "Janosik" armored car which served in Russia with the Czech Legion during the Bolshevik revolution. The Legion supported the Tsar and fought against the communists. When the communists prevailed, the Czech Legion became stranded in Siberia. Czechoslovakia was not a sovereign nation at the time, and these fighters became "the army without a homeland". An interesting story worth a google.

I'll be using the attached photo as a basis for the repaint (nearly complete already), and will be starting the model next week after I post final photos
of the Russo-Balt.
Google Adsense
Old 08-12-2011, 12:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
One of these times, I'd sure like to see a re-paint thread of screen shots of someone doing a re-paint. That's a skill I'd like to learn. Mauther on his blog started a project of designing a model, but I believe the introductory post is the only one, so far.

I'm sure you will do a fine job with this project, like on the Russo-balt.

VK
Old 08-21-2011, 05:18 PM

The Jeffery-Poplavko "Janosik" build is coming along. I changed the kit color from a sort of bright, canned peas green, to a more militaristic shade of green-grey. From the photo above, I captured the Janosik moniker, skewed it to compensate for the angle in the photo, and applied it to both sides of the model. The diagonal blaze on the cab and back were laid on in a light grey shade. I think it has the numbers 91. on the back of the model above the blaze, so I found a font that matched pretty well and laid that on as well.

Every other photo and drawing of the Jeff-Pop that I have managed to find shows the back section as just a big flat solid feature. It seems like a great place to tie down crates of munitions, food, fuel, etc, but it was never used for that purpose apparently. All other drawings/photos also show the top of the rear section as just a big plate of steel. The Janosik photo clearly shows a pair of hinges. Since I doubt they were there just for looks, I felt confident that this particular vehicle at least, made use of the rear section with a storage hatch, so I modifed the model to reflect it.

Here are of a few photos of the Jeff-Pop. The cab is done, and I'm now working on the rear section.

All the raised details are on, and you can see the internal boxes for the machine guns
Attached Thumbnails
Jeffery Poplavko repaint-jeff-pop1.jpg  
Old 08-21-2011, 05:20 PM

Oops. Hit the enter key before all the photos were attached. Here's a couple more.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeffery Poplavko repaint-jeff-pop2.jpg   Jeffery Poplavko repaint-jeff-pop3.jpg  
Old 08-21-2011, 05:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Looking good so far. The color change certainly makes a big difference. An odd design this one!
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 08-21-2011, 06:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Historically the Russian armoured cars were painted grey during Tsarist times and green after the 1917 revolution. The shade of green has been a subject of debate but I've seen a number of opinions that it was an apple-green colour - lighter and brighter than the later 4B0 green used on Russian armour in the 30s and WW2.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 08-21-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
Historically the Russian armoured cars were painted grey during Tsarist times and green after the 1917 revolution. The shade of green has been a subject of debate but I've seen a number of opinions that it was an apple-green colour - lighter and brighter than the later 4B0 green used on Russian armour in the 30s and WW2.

Regards,

Charlie
Now that's interesting. So the bright green that Andriy uses could be the most accurate? It's very bright. Are there any photos that might support that?
Chris
Old 08-21-2011, 11:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
I've never seen an authentic colour image of Soviet armour in the 1920s - I doubt whether such a thing exists. The colour Andriy uses might be tonally appropriate but it's way too saturated.

In my opinion this drawing (attached) of a T-18 from battlefield.ru is probably a reasonable representation.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Jeffery Poplavko repaint-phoca_thumb_l_t18_29.jpg  
Old 08-22-2011, 05:37 AM

Ah, yes. I have seen renderings in this range, but always thought it was probably artistic license. I'll have to keep this in mind when I try another of Andriy's models. Thanks, Charlie.
Chris
Old 08-22-2011, 10:36 AM

I wrote an email to the allfrompaper site the other day to offer my appreciation for their models. I attached a link to my Russo-Balt build which Andrey obviously read. He noticed my observation of the turquiose tires, and told me that due to a vision problem he can recognize only a few colors, so that most likely explains the interesting shade of green in some of the models. My re-colored Jeff-Pop looks pretty close to the illustration you provided, Charlie, so thank you for that.
Google Adsense