PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Article Discussions

Old 08-15-2010, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
US Letter & 11"x17" Page Size to A4/A3 Page Size Question

I have some questions to ask about designing models and then printing them to different page sizes.

Since I'm starting to list some of my models at ecardmodels dot com, I would like to know if it is worth the extra time to create different page sizes.

I found that I have the capability to print the models to different sized PDF files.

Please answer the following questions-adding whatever comments you'd like to make/changes you would like to see as well:

Is US letter size (8.5"x11") & 11" x 17" available everywhere?

How hard is it to print US sizes to A3/A4?

What type of scaling issues do you run into if you need to print on A3/A4 from USA sizes?

Would users of A3/A4 like to see models designed for these printed page sizes?

Is there any issues that I haven't asked?

When printing to A3 from 11x17, I had to scale the model down due to the difference between 11x17 and A3. A3 is shorter but wider than the 11x17.

Part of the reason I ask is due to some repaints that "Super" AirDave is doing for me.

The F104 Starfighter was used by many foreign countries. He is doing some repaints for these various users and IF it would help to put them on A3/A4 pages I would like to do this, if there is a need.

His first repaint is taking shape and I got to wondering, the version I'm working on is a RCAF version that has excellent coloring/scheme!

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and most of all Thank You for any answers!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Google Adsense
Old 08-15-2010, 05:00 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Mike,

a4 in US sizes is 8.29 inches x 11.69 inches
and a3 is just double the width

You can print on 11x17, but you lose some print if you were to print on that size.

One of the suggestions is to limit the development window to something around 7.75x10.50 inches, it would allow for printing in the most optimal field for the various paper sizes

I hope this helps some
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-15-2010, 05:23 PM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Rick is absolutely right, if you keep it within that space , you are fine..
American paper-sizes are just not available here in Europe..
I have printed a lot of stuff, like Nobi's en Ken's, never had a problem, because it would fit A4, and they kept it within the same space,using print at 100%, so the scale was alright...
Old 08-15-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Mike,

a4 in US sizes is 8.29 inches x 11.69 inches
and a3 is just double the width

You can print on 11x17, but you lose some print if you were to print on that size.

One of the suggestions is to limit the development window to something around 7.75x10.50 inches, it would allow for printing in the most optimal field for the various paper sizes

I hope this helps some
Yes, and no. Yes, it helps, I didn't realize the A3 was double the width of A4.

No, because I only print on Us letter or 11x17. My question is from a designers point of view. Would it be worthwhile to print on different sizes for other users (A3-A4).

For instance I'm working on a Stomp Rocket. The inside tube that the launcher pipe slides into has to be a certain size, or it won't work.

So, if the model is originally on US Letter, what happens to the actual size when it is scaled to fit A4? Or is it just a direct print job? (no scaling)

I can print these to a PDF at the A3/A4 sizes so the scale won't be an issue. Is it worth the time to do it though?

The real question in my mind is as follows:

Since most USA designers use US Letter (download section), how do the A3/A4 users feel about this? Would they like to see more models that they don't have to scale to fit their page sizes?

Thank you for your input, it does help in a couple of different ways!

As mentioned I didn't know how they were sized, your suggestion to just use part of the page (margin size basically) works, I already do this to make sure when printed they fit without any scaling. But to cut even more to fit the shorter-long length of A4 would really create more pages to print.

Wouldn't it be easier to just fit the model to the A4?

Most of all it gave me a chance to clarify my questions to some extent.

Mike Bauer
Old 08-15-2010, 05:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Mike,
Rick already gave you the answer - if you keep your parts fitting the 7.75" by 10.50" window, model will print on both Letter and A4 paper without any scalling issues. Even large models can be offered this way - see models from Digital Navy or mine.
The greatest benefit is in the fact that most people use Letter/A4 printers and this will allow them to print at home without the need to run to a printing place and spend additional money.
Google Adsense
Old 08-15-2010, 05:45 PM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Well..
If I have to use "scale to fit " there won't be a problem, if the pages of a model have the same size, it just won't be the scale it was designed
Old 08-15-2010, 06:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Similarly, if you limit the design window to 10 inches by 16 inches, there will be no problem printing on both tabloid and A4 paper.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
I think it is up to the designer what size to use. Just publish it and people will want.

I personally like to print stuff mostly on A3, regardless if the model come in Letter or A4. I do print small kit on Letter size once in a blue moon. Have not see anything come in 11x17 yet. Half the time I will print stuff on Super B too. Cause I like to scale thing up, a lot, never scale thing down, yet.

I also designing stuff to go on A3. Again, because I like to design thing in large scale, 1/6 scale. Some parts can not fit in A4 or Letter. So, A3 and or Super B for me.

The only problem I can see is do people want to build the model? Even if it is not free.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:24 PM

Ok, I understand what you're saying. Makes sense now that I look at it from the angle of printable area.

I use AutoCAd Lt to do my models.

It shows me that A4 is 210mm x 297mm. Printable area is 203.56mm x 290.68mm.

Basically for me to do what you're saying is I have to convert the 203.56 x 290.68mm to US size. and then = to stop the PDF print from rescaling, I'll need to subtract even more from the printable page size.

I just tried to print a PDF at 203.56x290.68mm. The PDF wrote out fine from autocad, but when opened and trying to print to A4 size paper the print pre-view area was smaller and the PDF tried to rescale the print. I actually cut a piece of 11x17 down to A4 dimensions to test all of this.

This is a printer margin issue, correct?

To remove this from happening using US letter size, I use the printable page size (autocad) and create a box to put the model parts in that is .375" smaller all the way around.

Billy, the scale to fit is understandable, but if parts of the model have to fit something like the Stomp Launcher PVC pipe, this "scale to print" option won't work.

I really want to say thanks for the input! I'm kind of new at trying to get some models on the market. These answers verify, that I'll have to create a bigger white space (margins) for the US letter size, if the models are to be printed on A4 at the correct scale.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 08-15-2010, 06:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Quote:
The F104 Starfighter was used by many foreign countries. He is doing some repaints for these various users and IF it would help to put them on A3/A4 pages I would like to do this, if there is a need.

His first repaint is taking shape and I got to wondering, the version I'm working on is a RCAF version that has excellent coloring/scheme!
As great as that sounds I'm not buying a new printer for one model.
Google Adsense