PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Article Discussions

Old 10-28-2012, 09:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
converting to a particular scale

Folks,
I am in the middle of making a few props for 15mm scale; however, I am scratch building everything. I am new to scale modeling in this manner, so I decided to ask ideas and assistance on this topic.

I am measuring from (base to top of head) for my 15mm figures, and I am doing Adobe Photoshop for my paper figures. I wanted to be different, so I am doing triangle format with a top down closure. In addition, one of the points will detail the forward facing field, which will allow for flank and rear facing fields.

However, I am finding it difficult to convert real life scale (1:1) to 15mm. If we assume that an average man is 5’10” and 15mm scale represents the average man height – would that mean each mm on a 15mm scale be equal to 118mm?

Math used to calculate this
5’10” = 1778mm = 1778/15 = 118.53~ = 118mm rounded down.

OR,
I am I thinking too much on this topic. I have thought about using a simple 1:72 scale; however, I don't have the room for 1:72.

Thank you
JJ
Google Adsense
Old 10-28-2012, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
OK. A quick search renders the following:

Quote:
[Wikipedia:] ... A more recent development, especially in wargaming of land battles is 15 mm white metal miniatures, often referred to as 1:100. The use of 15 mm scale metals has grown quickly since the early 1990s as they allow a more affordable option over 28 mm if large battles are to be refought, or a large number of vehicles represented. The rapid rise in the detail and quality of castings at 15 mm scale has also helped to fuel their uptake by the wargaming community.
What we learn here is that the so called 15 mm scale in fact is 1:100, which is a much easier format to work with. Your average 5'10" person is 175 cm tall, and a so called 15 mm model would then in fact be 17.5 mm tall, since the actual scale is 1:100.

Perhaps the "15 mm" designation comes from the actual average height of metal soldiers in action positions (crouched, moving, running, etc.)? Then again, the 175 cm average height seems culturally determined, and valid only for northern Europe and sections of the US population. Is the average height of people in Latin America really 175 cm? Or in East and SouthEast Asia?

As for your triangle method/problem, I don't quite follow. But perhaps the 1:100 figure helps out a bit?

Then again, I might be absolutely wrong here. Your problem just made me curious, so I had a quick go at it.

Leif

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 10-28-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
@Leif Ohlsson
Thanks for the help. I did find that 1:100 was a similar ration; however, I didn’t know if that was a good ratio to use, since I am doing this for the first time.

The triangle method or I should say format… Instead of having upright 2-sided miniatures, I thought it was be interesting to create a 3d-triangle format, which would have a field of views. ++smiles++ It has always been an idea from my days of playing Avalon Hill’s Advanced Squad Leader and Ambush!!