PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Article Discussions

Old 04-06-2013, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.63 MB
What do you think is the best paper for modeling

Greetings friends.

The wise man Solomon once wrote: "In the multitude of counselors there is wisdom." Therefore I request the advice of the many masters of the paper who share their knowledge in this forum. Much I should be grateful your opinions
Google Adsense
Old 04-06-2013, 04:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I use multiple weights depending on what I am doing. Heavier weight for larger builds and sometimes glue that to cardboard. When I do animals and organic figures I have access to out-of-date ad slicks that are lighter weight, but with the commercial ink on the backside of the paper, it has a very nice stiffness. For my smaller builds I just use good quality printer paper.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Firewing:
Now this is a can of worms thinking the world over, Paper and Cardstock are called different things depending on where in the world you are. In the US I use 67 pound card stock (Offen used for Bussness cards) and Cover Stock in 110 Pound. (also called card stock also). For doing Zios figures in the smaller scale I go to the Art Supply Store and find drawing paper in 50 pound and 9" by 12" size.
Good Luck,
MILES
I hope some of the South American Paper Modelers will suggest some other papers.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 129.82 MB
Hmmm, well, dear Firewing, there is no best paper for modeling - it depends on many things: the scale, the type of model, the size of the parts etc. etc.
But to give you a personal answer: 160 g/m² white non gloss is my favourite card modeling material.
This is the same paper as used by the renowned Wilhelmshaven (Möwe = Seagull) and HMV Models, by Papershipwright and Passat Verlag.
(But you are living in Latin America, so I don't know if you have the same brands/products as we in Germany or the USA by stationers like Staples...)
Kind regards,-
Papercaptain
Old 04-06-2013, 05:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I use
20 lb bond/75 gsm
65 lb cover/177 gsm
110 lb index/199 gsm

The last two are what is used most of the time. Cereal box material and the thick backing for paper pads (chipboard) are used sometimes for structural components and to build up the thickness of a part when needed. Bristol (260 gsm) is useful too.
Google Adsense
Old 04-06-2013, 07:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.73 MB
Lately I've been using glossy cover stock laminated over 65# card stock.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Great question!

Cardstock for my models.

Depends on what you want to do. I use Springhill tag 125# for my flying airplanes, Index 90# & 100# for rockets, Index 110# and Tag 125# for bigger rockets.

Small stuff Wausa Index or Vellum 65# works best. Some brands are strong, some brands are easy to work with.

Haven't even talked about "brightness". Main reason I don't like to change paper in a project. Ink looks different on different weights because of the brightness. Staying with one type of cardstock can be a headache.

Right now I'm working on a project that even at 1/12 scale has some really small tubes (1/16" dia). Would love to use regular paper, but, the ink (color) would give it away. So, 110# index it is. Need the strength as well.

Takes experimental practice, lots of it to determine what works best for any given project!

Mike
Old 04-06-2013, 08:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.42 MB
How about what ever is available when the need to build arises?
otherwise I agree with Doug (SCEtoAUX).
George
Old 04-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
As per Papercaptain - 160 gm non gloss white. Laminate to itself or card for thicker requirements.

Also use 80 gm sometimes.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I am using GP (Georgia-Pacific) Card Stock 110lb found at the local thrift shop.
They also, from time to time, carry reverse pliers with tiny nose that allows holding the glued taps in place without leaving gaps.
Google Adsense