PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Article Discussions

Old 04-15-2013, 01:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Full Hull vs Waterline

I recently read a thread entry that kinda bothered me. It basically said that waterline models were not as accurate as full hull models and kinda said that all ship models really should be full hull models.

While a full hull model may show all the parts of a ship, to say in a general way that waterline models are not accurate just doesn't seem to float. (pun intended ??).

When I see a ship in the water it is appearing as a waterline model would appear. The only time I would see a complete ship, hull and all, would be when it is in a drydock. How many times have I seen this in person? None.

So, I say build what you want and only worry about the accuracy of the parts provided (if you really care about it).

What say you?

Greg

PS. currently building a JSC waterline Bismarck and enjoying every minute of it.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
I can see a case for both really.

Personally I think some ships look better being full hull models. For example old dreadnoughts and wooden boats.

Tim
Old 04-15-2013, 01:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'm only interested in waterline models, since I use them for gameplay, and in my games the ships are always in the water... They store more easily that way as well...

[Click a photo to see more of my Paper Fleet]

I wish more of the wonderful kits people here had waterline-option instructions.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 67.79 MB
I say, the accuracy is a function of the designer. Do full hull designers use design bureau lofting and just hit scale to 1/200 or so? I doubt it much. Of course ships are not just waterline and above, but it is modelling and to accommodate the presentation the waterline is not built. Likewise, full hull models do not have every rivet and internal bulkhead, gangway, and fixture just to close it up.

For DDGs I prefer full hull since the driveshaft and props and wave breaker form are interesting. Otherwise without 10000 guns on deck, kind of gray and drab.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Totally agree with this: '...build what you want and only worry about the accuracy of the parts provided (if you really care about it)...'

I never really gave this specific subject much thought as I just build what's in the kit but I have to admit that, certainly with paper models, achieving a smooth hull probably absorbs more time that it is worth for me - even though a lot of the above decks detail may be fiddlier and more time-consuming it adds more to the model IMHO. Looking back, I probably would have been better off in many cases to simply go for the waterline version and display the model on a 'water' base.

Having said that, I was looking at the Modelik Dupuy de Lome last night and it would have to be built full hull to show off that amazing hull design, the full effect of which I think would be lost in a waterline model...

Simon
Google Adsense
Old 04-15-2013, 02:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Some ships do look better as full hull, but full hull is not always needed. As far as smooth hulls go, I have seen a quite a lot of ships tied up to the pier with very wavy and rumpled looking hulls. I have also seen a few ships on the blocks in drydock with the same wavy and rumpled look to the hulls. When I build a ship model and the hull turns out not so smooth I just attribute it to the wear and tear of the ship in service.

One of the typ of ship that would look better as a full hull would be the whaleback ships of the Great Lakes. The hull design is very distinct.

whaleback ship - Google Search
Old 04-15-2013, 03:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
For myself, I prefer full hull models for most ships. Some ships, though, I think look better as waterline models, again, thats just my opinion. I designed my Edmund Fitzgerald as a waterline model for two reasons. I like the look of a fully loaded waterline laker, it just looks longer and sleeker. The second reason was that it was much easier to design that way. Adding the deck camber and tumblehome was hard enough, without having to design the aft underwater hull shape. (I saw that post too, and didn't agree with it, either).

Scott K.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
great now i have the edmund fitzgerald song stuck in my head LOL
Old 04-15-2013, 04:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCS View Post
great now i have the edmund fitzgerald song stuck in my head LOL
You're welcome

Scott K.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 145.94 MB
I personally prefer full hull, but a good water diorama, especially in action like a full rigged sailing ship, can look fantastic. Right now I'm building Krzychu74's SS Ivernia, and it's waterline, but he's promised a full-hull add-on. Anxiously waiting for it!!
Google Adsense