PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Article Discussions

Old 09-01-2013, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
Like legion mentioned it appears to be a bad unfolding.
In this picture you will see some dashed fold lines very close to some solid cut lines.
Attachment 179152
If you zoom in on the 2D window of the PDO that situation is noticable throughout the model. If you cut along the solid lines and fold the dashed lines, the fold will form a glue tab. It would be best to just cut the dashed lines and the solid lines then join the edges using a glue strip like spaceagent-9 suggested. The 850 edge is an example of some bad rendering since the fold line is melded with the cut line.

This picture shows the corresponding areas between the 2D window and the 3D window.
Attachment 179153
The cut along edges 962 and 954 is highlighted. Note the almost imperceptible dashed fold lines. It appears to be an area where a slight curve of the parts is needed. That small triangle appears to be a left over piece that is not needed. The large triangles are glue tabs for joining to another part. Again it appears that glue strips would be a better option along edges like 962, 954, and 964. And again that situation is present throughout the model.

Hope this helps some.
Wooow really thanks! it helps me a lot! thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
Okay, I opened that file and it is just 1 big MESS. The 'designer' didn't even BOTHER to change the unfold after pressing the unfold button...

In the first picture is the unedited file, the in the second image i edited the outside of the ears only.
I'll try to edit it a bit more, to make it remotely buildable.

I have a slight hate for unfolds like these... Despite the model being cool, the unfolder doesn't even put effort in his work.
wow ..didnt know you guys will take it so seriously to help me! I´m really greatfull ! hehe I know that it's a mess this, but that's the idea :P if it's difficult I learn faster than doing a easy one :P by the way...I really would like it to learn how did you edited the file to make it more suitable. there is a tutorial somewhere? thanks guys!! really thanks!!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
Actually, I was just winging it and building it in my mind. making the cheeks and large sections (like the back, top and sides of the head) out of strips seemed like the best way to build it. The tabstrips/tape are your main support (and if you want to wear it, you'd need to fiberglass it for additional strength) as it doesn't contain any formers.

The part groups i created on the pages are there for clarity, you should build one section and connect it with another completed section.

It is the second time i 'fixed' a bad unfold like this... I gotta stop doing it and work on my OWN stuff!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
hahaha not, I will not wear it hahaha I have a pretty big head xD but I like all the comics stuff :P did you "fixed" with pepakura designer? there is a tutorial about how to do that? or how to create your own designs?
Old 09-02-2013, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
Well, I once started a tutorial on how to make paper models like the ones found on my site: Paper unit designing tutorial Total Annihilation Papercrafts But it is far from finished, as I didn't even get to the Pepakura part.

Basicly, what you want to do is get a game model, load it up in a 3d program and make it so that there are no clipping parts (parts that go through eachother) and have seperate sections for each part of the model. Like in the tutorial above, the Raider tank has 2 tracks, 1 hull, 1 upper hull, two turret parts and then the sleeve and barrel. Each of those parts forms a box. Boxes are the easiest shape to unfold and texture. The more polygons (faces) a model has, the more difficult the model. In the 3d program, make sure all the edges of the seperate parts are joined. You can now export it to Pepakura Designer, where you have several options on how to unfold your model.

Option 1: autounfold: this is the easy way out and creates the mess you got in your original message. It also fill only 1 page, not useful for big models like the Batman mask.
Option 2: the unfold button, but with a scale you can set. Still creates a mess, but does make pieces bigger if you set the scale higher.
Option 3: Manual (the boxcutter button). This is the hardest but will unfold your model with little to no mess. In this mode, you specify which edges are open and which are closed before unfolding. Red edges are edges with no opposing/joined edge, light blue edges are valley folds, dark blue edges are mountain folds. Open edges are orange after you specify them.

When you have unfolded the model using one of the above methods, you can rearrange parts and add tabs to them, even to the red edges. Tabs can be changed (in size and angle) and be switched to the opposing edge. Edges and tabs can be colored or even hidden. Practise. Don't be afraid to make errors, just print the page again (you can save ink by printing without textures).