PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Article Discussions

Old 06-26-2014, 12:40 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I'm afraid so, Doug. That's the trouble with buying sight unseen. Well, I'll make the best of it. Perhaps I can laminate the pages to 110 lb stock using the plastic wrap method. I've been wanting to try that out anyway. It sounds like I might now have an excuse.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:52 AM

So I got all my castle models yesterday, despite ordering from 4 different sellers spaced out all over the country.

I'll start with the cheapest one - Usborne's Wizard's Castle. Printed in 2001, it cost me $5.07 (free shipping). Stiff shiny paper, great graphics, many parts are 2 sided with interior and exterior sides. Excellent illustrated instructions. There's a total of 84 numbered parts and another 2 dozen or so optional parts that are mostly characters - orcs, goblins and such. I'm pretty enthused about this one, and might build it first.

Next was A.G. Smith's Caernarvon Castle. Cost me $5.79, also free shipping. Printed 30 years ago in 1984, the book is in amazing shape. Heavy, shiny paper, graphics are very nice. All one sided printing including the large banners, unfortunately. Interestingly, it's a combo of glue tabs, and slot and tab construction. Illustrated and written instructions. Looks to be simpler than the Wizard's Castle.

The Crusader Castle by Usborne set me back $6.35 including postage. Printed in 1996, it's a scholastic version, only available through the school market. Of course, it's on the secondary market now, so all bets are off. Stiff, shiny paper, some parts are double sided. Graphics are simple but very nice. I would say this is the easiest of the models. Glue tab construction. Illustrated directions are very thorough. It's a big boy measuring 17.5" x 23". Only 4.5" tall, though. If I build it, I don't know where I'd put it.

The most expensive at $7.85 (free shipping) was the Castles of Scotland book. There is a pretty complete history of each of the 2 castles in the book - interesting reading. The models are printed on regular bond paper, and need to be backed with heavier card stock before building. The parts are black and white with a pen and ink look about them. With some subtle coloration, I think they would look very nice when built. Illustrated directions are pretty good. The parts pages are 17 x 11, which might make laminating a bit of a challenge. Many of the pages could be successfully cut in half to yield 2 8.5 x 11 parts pages, but some larger parts are longer than 8.5 and would have to be cut out and laminated separately.

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchases.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:14 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Don,

can you take a picture of the covers and post them?
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Be careful with Caernarvon Castle. It's a good kit, but the alignment along the length of the base is important to get right to avoid warping. Have fun with these! I only built one or two of the Castles of Scotland. They weren't bad at all and fun to paint up.
Chris
Old 07-09-2014, 06:02 PM

Will do, Rick. Thanks for the tip, Chris.
Google Adsense
Old 07-10-2014, 08:54 AM

As per Rick's suggestion, here are pics of the covers of these castle books.
Attached Thumbnails
AG Smith/Usborne castle models-0710140928.jpg   AG Smith/Usborne castle models-0710140929.jpg   AG Smith/Usborne castle models-0710140929a.jpg   AG Smith/Usborne castle models-0710140930.jpg  
Old 07-10-2014, 09:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Here is a picture of the cover on the A. G. Smith Crusader Castle book:
AG Smith/Usborne castle models-crusader-castle.jpg

Here is the cover of another Bellerophon castle book:
AG Smith/Usborne castle models-castles.jpg
The title is Castles to cut out & put together with text by J. K. Anderson and models by Nick Taylor.
It has the White Tower and Château Gaillard and is printed like the Castles of Scotland book. The castle depicted on the cover is not included in the book.