PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Article Discussions

Old 10-29-2014, 02:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Question Out of the "Box"

In the world of IPMS (where the "P" stands for plastic) there is a category called Out of the Box. In our world of paper it might be called "Out of the Book". Basically, you build the model with only the parts that are contained in the box! I know that some paper modelers add details using plastic, modelling materials, clear canopies, brass/aluminum rod, etc.. I like to cut out the printed, and shaded, windows and place clear plastic behind the frames. But this is not,strictly, "out of the book". Currently, I'm trying to stay true to the medium: eg. by constructing paper buckles and snaps for the seat safety straps in aircraft. So..oooo the question becomes, how close should one stay true to the material (paper), and how much discipline does it require to keep it "Out of the Book'? Thoughts anyone?
Google Adsense
Old 10-29-2014, 02:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Good question! Personally, paper/card is just another medium for creating scale models. If I can add anything else, preferably stuff which is lying around/scrounged to enhance a model then I will. I am not averse to adding scratch built parts from wire, plastic or wood, but essentially it is still a card model. I am after (semi) scale fidelity and anything goes.

All the best and happy modelling

Bernie
Old 10-29-2014, 02:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
It does not take much discipline to keep it "out of the book".

However there are times when using something else works out a lot better and gives a much better look to the completed model. Using cheap costume jewelry chains to replace paper chains, thread or small cord to replace paper rope or ratlines, etc. It is really up to the builder on what they want to substitute. If you are building a model to enter into a competition you need to make sure of what is allowed within the rules.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:09 AM

I'm a, "paper purist" it stems from my very first design, it was enclosed in a mylar case and I caught grief about displaying with items not included in the kit, from then on I work only in what is included in the box even though other mediums might be better suited for finer details.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Many models cannot be strictly built "out of the book." Anything that requires laminating to cardboard or wire for structural purposes or clear sheet for glazed parts called out in the pattern section, could not be considered strictly out of the book by most IPMS definitions I know. Unless a separate set of rules tailored to judging paper models would exist in the IPMS world, I prefer to point out that my projects were completed per the instructions supplied in the book, covering the above added material.

Since paint, aftermarket decals and paper seat belts are permitted in most out of the box categories for plastic models, my opinion is that the need to fabricate parts to complete a paper model should be accepted as being "Out of the Book."

But as usual my opinion is generally only worth a cent and a half...

greg
Old 10-30-2014, 09:27 PM

Smile Out of the Book

Thanks to all for responding. Sorry about the typos. Just luv that HTML code! But to further this topic. Yes, paper is just another material with which to create scale models. It has its own unique characteristics; ones that you have to get used to! I try to stay true to the medium and context of the printed forms, using paper if my patience, technique and time permit. I use laser cut railings on ships, although they are flat but at 1:400 I can't see any other possibility. I'm still unable to leave printed and shaded windows and canopies as printed and coloured. It's just not in my genes! So to all card modelers, where ever you may be PAPER ON!!!!
Old 10-30-2014, 10:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 102.95 MB
I am fairly new to paper modeling. I enjoy the challenge of out of the book. Some models that I have made look great that way, even with shaded canopies on aircraft. But on the other other hand, some look awful. Out of the book, the JSC line of ships in 1/400 look great to my eyes, even when the detail is not as fine as it could be. Of course JSC and others expect you to use some wire for masts etc so they would be incomplete using only out of the book. But I am finding the bigger the scale, the less satisfied I am with a stock model. A case in point is the 1/200 Battleship Mikasa from Oriel that I am making. It was looking very neat but kind of flat out of the book. I was struggling to get the enthusiasm to continue. So I got out the paint and changed the colour and added missing details from what ever medium suited the purpose. Now I am enjoying it again. In this case I am not trying to make a paper model, but a replica of the real thing. A more skillful modeler could probably achieve my vision for it in only paper, but I certainly can't. I am in awe of modelers who can.

Robert
Old 10-30-2014, 10:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.47 MB
I am building a model of the pro-model tug Taurus. I enlarged the scale from 1/100 to 1/72, then printed it out in black & white. I soak every part in thin ca and file, grind, sand, apply putty to finish. then i paint. I am adding a ton of additional scratch built parts based on pictures of the real boat. I am also using styrene and metal including diy photoetch. it goes without saying that I am not a purist and the finished model will not be 'out of the box'! I think of it as, 'essentially' a model made of paper, a modified kit, with many scratch built additions. where would it fit in the world of ipms? i have no idea
Old 10-30-2014, 10:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
I think if clear sheet/canopy not included in the kit, putting a clear plastic sheet/canopy or anything else that not come with the kit should disqualify the model as "out of the box". I'm old school.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:31 AM

Depends what you decide OOB means.

OOB could mean "using only materials supplied by the producer." This is basically the plastic modeling definition. If resin, photoetch brass, etc. are included in a plastic kit, they can be used. It doesn't have to be all styrene. Similarly if a paper model comes with extra materials, like the sound-and-light electronics in the R2D2 paper model I bought for my son, using the electronics would be OOB since it was in the box. However, by this logic, no downloadable paper model could ever be OOB, since no materials are supplied.

OOB could mean "using only materials specified by the producer." If the producer says to use toothpicks or wire or cellophane, then that would be a stock build and would qualify.

OOB could mean "paper only." This strikes me as the least defensible definition of OOB, although it is a perfectly fine rule for building if you want to go hardcore. And it would be equivalent to the other definitions when the manufacturer supplies only paper and/or does not call out any other materials.

August
Google Adsense