PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Article Discussions

Old 10-20-2010, 08:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.06 MB
how to make ship / boat's paper model pattern?

Hi all,
newbie here.

I'm aware that lot's of software available out there for paper model making. (but take time to master it, especially 3D design, which time is a luxury that I got hehe).

so wondering, how to accurately make a ship / boat's paper model pattern using the traditional way. Calculate it, draw it then cut it to dry fit, etc.

I wanted to build a paper model of a particular cruise ship, but had difficulties to make the paper model patter for the bow and stern area.

any suggestion guys?
thanks in advance.
Fiat
Google Adsense
Old 10-21-2010, 07:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
I have only used the computer for scale models. In my teen years I did a lot of free hand stuff that looked the part but I would not bet they were accurate in scale. So I can tell you about computer programs I use but that's all. Sorry.
CT
Old 10-21-2010, 08:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I would like some answers too!!!

There MUST be some drafting tips or SOMETHING to help us along.:(
I know Geoffrey Heighway (Micromodels) drew by hand. Somebody PLEASE share what he knew or how he did it.

I have 2 vessels I want to model, 1 fiction (The Leakin' Lena) and 1 non-fiction reality (The Madaket). I will, at some point, jump right in and get-r-dun. Hopefully I will NOT be too tempted to STEAL hull designs from somebody...want to help keep me honest?

Enough outta me

Old 10-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Banned

I used to make some pretty accurate balsa Catboat models. I would use a long thin planks of balsa, not very wide and run the plank along the formers and trace out the ends of the bow on the backside on the planks, and then make the appropriate cuts. The models I made had full formers that were used to making the hull but were not part of the ship. I would use bulkheads based on the formers I made for shaping the hull. The same thing could be done using paper, you would connect the lines, of course realizing the compromises that must be made if you are trying to make the side hull from one piece of paper, which is not how real boats are made anyways, (unless it is fiberglass and made in a mold).
Old 10-21-2010, 11:21 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
I used to make some pretty accurate balsa Catboat models. I would use a long thin planks of balsa, not very wide and run the plank along the formers and trace out the ends of the bow on the backside on the planks, and then make the appropriate cuts. The models I made had full formers that were used to making the hull but were not part of the ship. I would use bulkheads based on the formers I made for shaping the hull. The same thing could be done using paper, you would connect the lines, of course realizing the compromises that must be made if you are trying to make the side hull from one piece of paper, which is not how real boats are made anyways, (unless it is fiberglass and made in a mold).
Thank you Zathros!:D I had not thought of that until you mentioned it. I used to scratchbuild with balsa years ago. Designing the formers, then, is the key!!

Google Adsense
Old 10-21-2010, 03:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
I'm glad someone started this thread, because I have been toying with a few ships that I would like to make into paper models myself, and to give back a little to the community from whom I have received thousands of hours of fun paper modeling.

Cory, I would be interested in how you approach a ship model design, using a computer, as that might be a good way to proceed. I seem to recall you use programs that are fairly easily available?

I would also love to see a model designed using the old fashioned hand drawn method; Barry once had a thread in which he did something similar, using trial and error, scanning the templates as he went along, until the formers and templates all matched up in the real world, at which time he made a final scan and then used those scans in a graphics program to add color, or textures, as they say, to the templates. Fairly basic, involving a lot of trial and error printing out, cutting, trimming, scanning, printing out again, etc., but the end product was pretty nice. Yeah, it was a problem trying to have one single piece for the entire side of a hull, and even more difficult in making up the bottom shells (these were full hull, as I recall), but it all seemed to work out for the best in the end.

I guess what I would love to see is a step by step approach on a sample hull from which I could learn how to do it myself without getting too much into vector graphics, yada yada, discussions which are things I have no clue what is being said. Mind you, I am very willing to learn about such things, but I don't want to be overwhelmed with terminology when I am just starting out.

I have tried to follow a few tutorials, but they all seem to quickly develop into a very technical discussion using complicated and expensive software. I just need a prod in the right direction to create a basic hull shape, and to learn how to then incorporate the various deck components, houses, etc., but I am very willing to spend a bit of time to design a ship model if someone is willing to show me the way.

Yikes, that was a bit much..sorry for it having run on a bit!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 10-21-2010, 04:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
Hello gentlemen, hello Jim!

Your posting had open my mind on the vital points of this thread? As I figured out in my construction report, I'm not using a 3d program.
The base of all are good drawings of the object you like to transfer into a paper model. Waterline or fullhull - without good drawings you cannot build up a frame structure of the hull - using a computer or doing the artwork by hand ...
The base drawings and the reference pics for example, of the real ship are the key of your success ...
When it's requested, my support - considering my language limitation - is offered ...

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried
Old 10-21-2010, 05:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Greetings, Wilfried!

Yes, by all means, kindly provide us with your explanation of how you design your wonderful ships, if you have the time, as I believe there are more than a few who would benefit and enjoy reading your lessons! There have been at least 150 hits on this thread thus far, and I expect there will be many, many more.

I see no difficulty whatsoever with your use of the English language, and if any questions arise I am confident they can be addressed and clarified. I rather doubt anyone wants me to struggle with my very limited German, and your use of English is extremely good.

I stand ready, pencil and paper at hand, for your lessons!

Thank you, so very, very much, Professor!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 10-21-2010, 07:06 PM

Well, fellas, I can answer this one. As many of you know, I've been working on designing a Montana-class Battleship for the last year (or longer!) and I haven't found any better combination than the free "DelftShip" hull program, along with the inexpensive "Lamina" program for converting the hull sections to flat pieces. They both take a little bit of time to get used to, but the curve ain't nearly as steep as Rhino, Autocad, or any of the other serious 3-D softwares. About the only thing I wish I had, was a way to convert Sketchup files to 3DS files, but a guy can't have everything... Oh, and a couple more programs that have come in handy are the Siatki programs (both the free, and the paid ones) .

Links:

DelftShip
Lamina
Siatki (1.0.1 & 4.1)

Then again, I happen to be stumped at the moment, trying to design a part for another with no way to do it. I have it drawn in Sketchup, but I really have no way of modeling it in any other format that I can work with, such as STL or 3DS. If anyone is willing to help, I'll see that you get full credit...

Last edited by lancer525; 10-21-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
If you work by hand, any good boatbuilding book on lofting can be used to turn a plan into frames and planking. Building in wood or paper is essentially the same - flat panels or planking, conic sections, and frames/stations. Any boat design software should also get you there - though a program designed for plywood construction would provide something most similar to what we usually do with paper.
Yogi
Google Adsense