PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-06-2008, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Say what you want about the bad old days....the most successful build contest to date is Oldtroll's Maly challenge.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
I agree. It's real hard to go back, and I find myself bulking up on every single-engine Halinski aircraft kit that comes out. The kits are works of art in and of themselves.

What I worry about is recruitment of new enthusiasts, retention of those that are partially "hooked," and burn-out among those who who have been with us for years.

I've recently become a volunteer docent at a major maritime museum on the Chesapeake Bay, and I'm concerned about the declining interest in 3D modeling, and the growing demand for ready-made boats.

I'm concerned that modeling as a craft is in danger, and that we too will succumb to the demise of scale modeling.

www.geoghegan.us
Current build: GPM Halberstadt DII
Old 02-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Eternal Member

OldTroll's contest is fantastic! It gets loads of us who have been hooked on CAD designs to pay attention to the older models.

www.geoghegan.us
Current build: GPM Halberstadt DII
Old 02-07-2008, 06:18 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I put forth a different perspective. The CAD and computer age allow models to be easier to assemble and kits to be designed and tested much more reliably, so with some time and care most of these kits can be assembled and fit relatively well by even those with moderate skill. I would hazard a guess that, while fun, the MM kits turned away many possible card modelers because when they tried to make them they weren't successful. What is going to turn somebody off on card modeling more than your first try, on what should be beginners kits, ending up in the garbage because you couldn't make the parts fit. Picture somebody building the F4 as their first model - an experienced / skilled modeler got so frustrated as to give up on it.
Now - the one thing I will say is that the printed kits seem to be going the way of catering to advanced / detail oriented builders. There is a place for the simpler printed kits, but will we continue to see them?

Edit - and sorry for the hijack, I look forward to seeing this model come together as well, looks like a good start

Last edited by dansls1; 02-07-2008 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:50 PM

Don't sweat it, I'm not ready to squawk 7500 yet.

There is definitely a place, a need even, for nice simple well-fitting kits that balance enough detail to be interesting with a simplicity or predictability at least that encourages finishing the kit.
I would recommend any of Zarkov's kit, or Models by Marek (especially his middle work)

Back to building this beastie.

The cockpit and seat are simple enough and I managed to not get a picture of it. The floor is folded to create side consoles and part of the side walls.

The cockpit opening is a 'hatch' cut in the middle of a segment with 'doors' of sorts that fold inwards to form the rest of the cockpit walls. There is a strip 1mm wide front and rear that is a little delicate. Had I been designing this one, I would have just had an opening and all of the cockpit wall attached to the floor.

The headrest frame and back wall of the cockpit is an appliqué on the rear bulkhead. Since everything has to be stuffed in through the cockpit hatch, I cut the appliqué down to minimize fit problems

The pair of bulkheads in the middle of these two segments were oversized and took a lot of fiddling to get them to both fit their skins and match. I'm not 100% happy with joint and it's step, but I'm hoping the windscreen frame will cover part of it and disguise things a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik P-35-img_3657.jpg   Modelik P-35-img_3658.jpg   Modelik P-35-img_3659.jpg  
Old 02-08-2008, 08:07 PM

After the amount of fitting the instrument panel bulkheads (2b&3a) took, I was a little worried about the rest, but I needn't have been. The next two segments pretty much fell together in about as long as it took to reboot this computer.

They aren't glued together in the middle pic yet, just stacked for the camera. Silver sharpie is the perfect match for edge-colouring.

The last picture is of some of the tools that get the most use in building. The small block is a soft vinyl eraser (I work on the unprinted side just in case) The big block is, well, a BIG soft vinyl eraser. Same stuff altho' it's sold as a carving block form making rubber stamps. It makes a great pad for forming curved sections.

The dowels are dowels. One end stuffed into a pencil sharpener and then sanded and finished
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik P-35-img_3660.jpg   Modelik P-35-img_3661.jpg   Modelik P-35-img_3662.jpg  
Old 02-09-2008, 09:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This looks like a really enjoyable model. You have it coming together very nicely and I enjoy hearing about and seeing the photos of your tools and work area.

Don
Old 02-09-2008, 10:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
I'm sure this one will be a nice one!!
Enjoyable thread!!
Old 02-09-2008, 10:39 AM

Great idea about putting the dowel in a pencil sharpener. That tool's got to have 101 uses! Enjoying your build, it's looking great!
Old 02-09-2008, 07:53 PM

Look! The long lost cover shot!
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik P-35-img_2012.jpg