PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-08-2008, 12:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
FG B-52 Conversion to H

OK. I have my first kit. Fiddler's Green B-52 B/D in any color but the current Gunship Gray. To do the recoloring, will Adobe Photoshop Elements do the job? I just can't afford Photoshop CS3. Who can? Is there any other software that will do what I need to a pdf file?
Most of the corrections needed to make this a modern B-52H Don't seem beyond me. Mind you, this claim is before I even print anything, let alone cut or glur any paper. The big things will be a complete redo of the back end (the H tailgunner sat next to the electronic warfare officer (EWO) and not all the way back. Consequently, the rear gunner's cockpit was removed. I think that happened with the G model. Later on the gun was removed and the tailgunner's seat now stands empty. The EWO must get lonely. The vertical stabilizer on the G & H models are about 8 feet shorter than the previous versions. It's also wider at the tip than what can be accounted for by just shortening it. The sweep at the leading edge is the same, so the trailing edge sweep wust be increased. The nose radome on this kit is a little too long for a D model, but not quite long enough for an H. the bump on top of the nose will have to be added along with the bazillion antennas ans the other radomes on the belly, sides, vertical stabilizer, and once again the very back end. The fairings for the electro-optical viewing system also need to be added. These other bits & pieces are actually the easy part. There's some great images on line which show these details to great extent. One of the best sites is here: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/pixalzone...r60-0011-5.htm The hard part will be opening up the bomb bay. It will need a lot of interior structure and other hardware as well as the common strategic rotary launcher (CSRL) I've seen the mission, but I'm not sure whether I've decided to accept it. Of course it's just paper. If I try it and it ends up not working, I can always reprint and do over.
The wings don't appear to be as bad as I feared. I don't think they're more than a couple of mm off (may not even do anything about it).The front of the engine nascelles have to be redone to accommodate the TF-33 engines in the H.
OK, as soon as I get an answer to the above questions about recoloring, and get the needed software, I'll be able to go on to the next step: asking myself what I got myself into.
Well, as I found out a long time ago, even when you can't be productive, you can still try to be entertaining.

Cheers,

Currently working on: ISS
Google Adsense
Old 02-08-2008, 01:22 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Lee

Elements should work fine. I do a lot of work with Elements when I can't get access to a friend's machine with CS2 (he's upgrading to CS3 soon). Paint Shop Pro is another good program which I have used. I have an older version 4 which is what I use mostly for coloring.

I haven't checked the wings on the FG BUFF, but I doubt you'll have to do anything with them. You're only change on the wings will be the wing tank and the engines, along with nacelles and the things they hang on...can't remember their name right now. You'll also need to change the flap configuration slightly.

Keep us informed of your progress. I for one will be interested in seeing your work.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
I'm eagerly going to watch this one Lee. Can't wait!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:26 PM

Just don't anyone suffucate while holding your breath. This one is going to be really slow, especially at first. The good part is that there are plenty of pictures on line of cockpit configurations. And, I suppose I can always find a reason to visit the BUFF we have in the hangar at work. Unfortunately, I can't take any of my own pictures while I'm visiting. Rough sketches will have to do.

The hard parts center on the fact that this is an entirely new medium for me. I have done some scratch building and accessory designing, but always starting and ending with 3 dimensions. I haven't quite figured out how everything unfolds to only 2 dimensions yet. At least most of the Buff's innards (i.e. bulkheads, floors, instrument panels & racks) are relatively flat. The CSRL is just a cylinder, a couple of discs and 8 relatively flat pylon-like structures. The actual hardest parts may actually be the flaps & bay doors. No. HAL won't open the bay doors for me either (bomb bay; pod bay ... what's the difference). I think these will just have to be plenty o' thin curved pieces with a skin covering - Hey, kind of just like the real thing. Go figure.

Well, I'm a systems engineer by trade. Some unkind people may think I'm procrastinating. really, I'm planning, doing trade studies, analyses, etc. After all, the systems engineering motto is: We don't produce products, we produce paper! I think I've found a home. Or maybe I need to be put into one. LOL

Old 02-08-2008, 11:23 PM

If you need, I can get some pictures of a B-52 cockpit. It's a trainer module. I can also get you bomb bay pics. There's no rotary system as this is an RB-52B, but the basic structure is the same at least.
Google Adsense
Old 02-09-2008, 04:38 AM

Someone needs to make an EB-52 MegaFortress out of this model.

Or just some body formers so I can build my copy. I can't seem to get the shape of the body down....
Old 02-09-2008, 02:13 PM

There's a decent 3-view on Fiddler's Green website. You should be able to mage some bulkheads using the cross-section view. the BUFF's cross section stays constant from the cockpitto about 2/3 of the way back. Flat sides, a somewhat flattened curvature to the bottom and a curved top.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
MOS59B:
Is that a picture, finally, of the long rumoted EB-52I?
Old 06-20-2008, 08:32 PM

It looks highly photoshopped to me
Old 06-20-2008, 09:40 PM

There is no EB-52 or any variant beyond H. Trust me. I work for the manufacturer and the last one (an H) came off the line in 1964 or there abouts. The picture above looks like a depiction of the MegaFortress from Dale Brown's "The Flight of the Old Dog" series of technothrillers. I'm just waiting for the unmanned B-1 UCAS carrier from one of his later books. Imagine, an unmanned platform capable of launching, recapturing, refeuling, rearming and relaunching an unmanned combat air system, How can you get more science FICTIONish than that?

Google Adsense